Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've read through the full Invincible run a few times, how close are they staying to the source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

People make way too big a deal of it, but even if it did cause you to stop, it's issue #111 out of #144. I think it's good all the way through.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I noticed that too. Given the nature and intensivity of animation work, on long anime series you'll have a string of episodes that look bleh but then in a major fight the quality gets insanely good. There's actually a term for it I can't recall. Not that the non-action animation in Invisible is bad necessarily, but they do kick it up for the big fights. I'm trying to figure out what the style reminds me of though.

One thing that gives me pause is that this show's cast is almost a little too stacked for an animated show. Like Mahershala Ali as Titan? Steven Yeun has a good shot at an Oscar this year, which would make him the third winner to have a role on this show. They booked all this before COVID right, I'd almost say that it was just that a bunch of A- and B- list actors had some time to kill during quarantine. Amazon must be spreading money on it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's dressed like a New God so I always assumed he was supposed to be one of them

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll point out that the first 10 trades (~60 issues) are on Comixology Unlimited, and I think they do a seven day free trial, so if you wanna know if the comic is any good, you can check out a lot of it for free. Also the whole line is 50% off, Comixology always does massive sales for an IP whenever a big movie/show comes out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One thing that you're gonna get in the comic that you can't really reproduce on the screen are Ryan Ottley's incredibly dynamic and minutely detailed splash pages. He gets poo poo for reusing assets panel to panel (not nearly as much as Cory Walker did tho) but since it's in service of giving him time to create these spectacular two-page tableaus it's totally worth it. Obviously the show is going to have access to other tools for spectacular visuals - I thought the 'Omni-man kills the entire Flaxian planet' sequence was the best example of that so far - but there's just something special about a great splash page.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Affi posted:

Cecil is great in show and in comic. I wouldn’t say Walton is phoning it in it’s just Cecil is so loving tired of the constant poo poo.

Yeah, I'm doing a re-read and it's very easy to hear Cecil's dialogue in Goggin's voice. Much more so than say Eve in Gillian Jacob's voice, but they're definitely going for a different vibe with Eve in the show. Yeun matches up pretty well with Mark, it didn't occur to me until he and Sandra Oh were cast, but are Mark and his mom supposed to be Asian in the book too? Not that I care if it's different (especially since they used it as an opportunity to cast Yeun and Oh - who is especially delightful and even through four episode I can already tell this is a superior characterization) I'm just curious.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Filipino cuisine is insanely good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There was like a whole Kirkman-verse where he created his own little DC/Marvel superhero pocket dimension, I don't know how many books he was putting out at it's peak but there are what like 8 different titles? So he doesn’t have sixty years of continuity to worry about and had his own editorial control. One of the best things about the book was that he would make interesting, status quo changing story and character decisions frequently and I hope they stick to it in the show. I don’t even care if they make major changes to the comics plot, as long as they're interesting. The changes they’ve made to characters seem universally better, as far as I've seen.

Well except Isotope's hair...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Since he doesn't have a comics analogue, I'm really interested in seeing where this Jon Hamm bit part goes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

Someone mentioned it a page or two ago, but its super distracting that they just cast a bunch of famous names who are just... speaking. So instead of voice actors its just many big names speaking exactly the same as their normal voices, so I'm constantly yanked out of the scene.

Hard to explain. but yeah

I get that, I had the same problem with Kubo. I thought Charlize Theron was fine but Matthew McConaughey was too distracting. I certainly agree that voice and regular acting aren't 1:1 skill sets, but I think for the most part the acting's been really good. Especially with the Grayson family, Steven Yeun and Sandra Oh are doing great, and of course JK Simmons is particularly fantastic. I've said I like Goggins as Cecil quite a bit as well.

But yeah, why didn't they have Jennifer Grey just do a couple of different voices for the one-episode appearance of the Green Ghost and War Woman instead of hiring Sonequa Martin-Green and Maggie Cohen for six lines each? I guess my concern is more that, for example, Steven Yeun is going to win an Oscar and then either his price tag is going to go too high or the project will become too small for him. Of course they got two other oscar winners voicing characters so maybe Bezos is just pouring cash into it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ruddiger posted:

Since Science Dog was turned into Seance Dog for the show, I wonder if we’re going to get Tech Mech-Jacket, Brit Bloke, or the Capes Drapes crew showing up.

Average Dragon

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ruddiger posted:

Bill Sienkiewicz drew this in my Savage Dragon sketchbook years ago.

So jealous, Sienkiewicz is one of my favorites.

I've never read Savage Dragon is it unequivocally good?

Ccs posted:

Hahaha fantastic. The only Savage Dragon I've read is the few pages that were going around blogs where people were freaking out about how outrageously sexual it had gotten.

Ah.

Also I'm reading the Young Loki books on MU again and because of my completionism disease I'm starting with Siege and goddamn they should've brought in Ottley as a ringer for when Sentry tears Ares in half like a phonebook, that is some straight up Image poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

After Preacher, The Boys and now Invincible, we're going to have to accept as a people that Seth Rogen just makes good comic adaptions. Especially given the expectations of people when those adaptations were announced.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aces High posted:

Just started reading the comic to see what things were like in grand ol' 2003 and I gotta day I actually like a lot of the changes to the supporting characters (though I'm only on issue 10) since they feel more like actual people instead of just silhouettes that are there for the main characters to sound off on every so often.

Perhaps the not-Justice League gets more coverage in flashbacks but boy at least in the show they are present before just getting merced by Omniman. Certainly a fun read so far but, much like The Boys, the show has filled out the world a lot better and (so far) is looking to surpass the comic in a lot of ways.

Also, I am glad that there isn't a lot of edgy poo poo that turns me away from the comic, as opposed to The Boys

Yeah, really the only oof thing is that they describe things as "gay", but that was extremely common in that era. For the show they just made William gay, problem solved.

As far as Immortal stuff, the show montage is almost exactly how they did it in the comic (Nothing spoiilery there at all but out of an abundance of caution I'm linking it)

That's also exactly how Vandal Savage got his powers, in the show it's a bit more clear that he's interacting with some weird meteor. Why he got some Superman powers was probably a function of having someone that could go toe-to-toe with Omniman.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 27, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jackard posted:

Yeah almost every character is worse in the comic. Both Amber and his mom are props. William is an rear end in a top hat. Damien is a cheap joke. Etc

Also no multiple issue rant about nicknames

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hell yeah

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

The show actually sounds like an improvement on the comic. Having there be suspicion on Nathan from the start ads a lot more tension that otherwise it being a mystery. Also having Demon Detective be actually good at his job is a better choice.

I'm a big fan of the comics and I'd agree with that. It's not that the comic is bad it's a combo of some effects. First, plot pacing in a comic is going to be driven by the monthly(ish) release schedule, and a lot of the story is still being worked out as issues go to print. This is not the case with a eight episode series. Second, Kirkman and the other creators working on the show have the hindsight of knowing what did and didn't work in the comic, as well as the benefit that being 20 years older brings. The comic itself ran for like 15 years and you can see the storytelling change over that time in the book .

Demon Detective is literally a throw away joke, he's dressed exactly like Rorshach from Watchmen and you only see him from behind in a few panels so it's a visual gag that he's got this hideous demon face instead of a mask. Him solving the crime and getting sent to hell by Cecil is all invented by the show. Like, Demon Detective is in maybe 10 panels in the whole series, so it's not so much a change as an entirely new character. But yeah, I like all the character changes they've made so far. I was surprised that they cast an actor as big as Mahershala Ali as Titan given his minor role in the comics, but they've also greatly expanded on him, just in the one episode he was featured in. It's good because even though I've read the comic a few times, I still feel like the show can surprise me, which is the best you can expect out of an adaptation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kirkman is generally pretty good at coming up with superhero names and powersets which is kind of funny because I hate "Invincible" Rexplode, Dupli-kate, Atom Eve, all top tier names.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fuckin midnight meat train

There's a lot of verbatim comics dialogue in the Mark v Nolan fight but it definitely hits differently as performed. “You dad, I'd still have you” sequence was really good

zoux fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 30, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JK Simmons did such a good job of making Nolan seem like a decent guy and the show leaned much harder into making Omni-man seem conflicted, I was wondering if people would buy the heel turn when it came but lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y'all like Seth Rogen as Allen?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Huh? They showed in the episode People reacting to seeing the mass causalities in the city with horror. Its going to be the same as when the aliens invaded and Invincible fought them off, lots of people died and it was sad and I think there was even a monument to them? Isn't that where the aliens came back to, the monument to the losses? So I wouldn't say that its glossed over at all. Its just, not what the show is going to stop and spend 20 minutes on. But they absolutely 100% did show people reacting to the incident so I'm kinda at a loss here on your response.

Also there's the line in the burger place about how "it's all anyone is talking about" when Mark tries to change the subject. I definitely felt like they were giving more weight to the civilian casualties than they would in a MC/DCU movie or show.

Steven Yeun was such a good cast, I'll never read Invincible saying anything without hearing it in his voice.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ughhhh posted:

Some some reason my brain keeps thinking that Mark and his mom were latino in the comics (probably the macho stache Nolan has). Although now that I think about it, I don't think they ever said anything about Mark and his mom's ethnicity in the comic (and even in the show it's just a small one liner etc).

Did they say something about it the show, honestly I was just assuming it because both Oh and Yeun are of Korean descent and I figured that wasn't just a conincidence. I don't feel like Mark or Debbie are drawn differently in the show or in the comic. I absolutely don't care of course, especially when they use it as an opportunity to cast actors like Yeun, Oh and Zazie Beets.

It was obviously a choice to have Nolan's eyes bloodshot throughout the episode, so I wonder if that was supposed to be mimicking how when Superman goes evil he invariably has the glowing red eyes. And speaking of Superman, it's a neat parallel that Nolan and Clark were making the same "world of cardboard" point from that one episode of JLU. Of course when Superman punches Darkseid through a whole bunch of buildings and then meteor smashes him into the ground, no one dies, where as in the show...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DogsInSpace! posted:

Steven Yeun is just great in this and I hope this leads to more roles.

Dude was just nominated for an Oscar, I'm more worried about him getting too many roles.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LegoMan posted:

One Punch Man is anime for people who don't like anime. Instead of the heroes journey the main character essentially is at the end of the journey already and is really hoping someone catches up.

I don’t like anime but I like OPM. Didn't watch season 2 because I heard they cut the animation budget and that’s really the only reason I ever watch an anime series. Demon Slayer also has extremely good animation and action direction.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll point out you can sign up for a free trial of Comixology unlimited and read like the first 60 issues for free and judge for yourself. I quite like the comic and it was rather popular, one thing I've learned over the years is that the goon consensus tends to have...esoteric...opinions on comics that doesn’t necessarily mirror the general reception of a particular book. Of course as one yourself you may have the same tastes! But you can find out for free.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not one Viltrumite dish served the entire show....

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I also just binged through it, and I'm curious if I should follow it up with The Boys series. I read a bit of the comic when it was posted in one of the comics threads and wasn't gone on it, but this series reminded me of it and I'm wondering if they're actually that similar beyond the superhero stuff.

One similarity is that they're both Goldberg/Rogen adaptations. You could probably argue up some common themes or something but what they really have in common is "good, entertaining series involving superheroes."

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Incredibly bad compared to what though? Besides some high points, anime in general is pretty poo poo tier animation quality . If your comparing it to stuff like Disney the budget difference is huge. Like you said it gets the job done and is animated well enough to add to the story instead of detract.

One thing I do know about anime is that they have a specific term for when the animation is good, because it's usually bad or cheap. If you're ever watching a show, notice how much "animation" is just the Ken Burns effect or mouths and eyes moving.

Also, I didn't think the animation looked that bad in Invincible - especially not compared to say, the AKOM-animated episodes of BTAS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/zirtch/status/1389394606111043584

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

The difference between the comic and the show in that scene was all in how explicitly depicted Omin-man's murder spree was. He absolutely killed just as many people and had just as much disregard for human life in the comic. Here are the relevant pages (not spoilering since it already happened in the show):
[

Also, gonna strongly suggest that people DO NOT click on the original spoiler unless you've already read the whole comic as it's extra spoilery

It was more than that, I feel like in the comic, Nolan was mostly mad at Mark for not accepting his Viltrumite heritage, whereas in the show it's much more about showing him the difference between viltrumites and humans and how little humans matter - which is also why I think that the ultraviolence was justified in that case, not only for Mark but for the audience. We're pretty desensitized to violence these days so you gotta go insane to get people's attention. In the comic you can infer that a lot of people died, but inferring and seeing Mark holding the arm of the woman he was futilely trying to save is a much stronger scene. Going back and rewatching some of the show with that end fight in mind really colors the interactions in which Mark saves people throughout the series. Like when he saves that little girl and her mom from the building collapse and he's all "no rush", that's essentially the same circumstance in the final fight with him trying to hold back the collapsing building and failing to save that mother and child.

Also that's just my read, it's a lot clearer what's going on in character motivations and attitudes in a work that's performed by actors than one in which the actor is the voice in your head. JK Simmons definitely made Nolan seem more sympathetic than he came across in the fight in the comic.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 4, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

People complaint about how MoS or Avengers avoid showing what happens to the civilians. Invincible goes the other way, making what happens to the civilians the centerpiece. I haven't seen much complaining about it, but I have seen so much complaining about the gore in the comics, which is about on a par with the subway scene.

I guess I just don't care? Or maybe because I'm so squeamish I hate actual gory horror movies but animated doesn't bother me as much so that's how I consume that kind of media? I just don't think ultraviolence is inherently bad, I guess. It can be, but the violence in the finale is extremely organic to scene and characters and serves a definite purpose. People everywhere are talking about the episode and I don't think you get that kind of reaction if they do the lighter, implied violence from the comics fight.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It reminds me of the old 90s ultra violent animes that we had to trade on tapes like Ninja Scrolls or Vampire Hunter D. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it was an intentional parallel, given the Akira homage in episode 7. Stuff like that is old hat now but when I was a lad, we'd never seen anything that graphic. It was way more graphic than even actual Hollywood gore movies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ccs posted:

Haha I totally forgot about that. It was a cool touch.

I'm looking for other good American comics to read and I really want to check out Ms. Marvel, but the artist changes every 3 issues or so. Insane. You get used to the way one artist draws a character's face and composes a scene and then they snatch it away from you and suddenly its like new actors and a new director of photography took over. Why American comics, why...

Here's stuff from my collection that's real good that has (imo) good art. Mignola is my favorite artist, but I assume you've read Hellboy

East of West (Hickman/Dragotta)
Black Magic (Rucka/Scott)
Anything Brubaker/Phillips like Fatale, The Fade Out, or Sleeper
Kill Six Billion Demons (Tom Parkinson Morgan - this is a webcomic but I hate reading in a browser so I got ebooks on comixology. The art is straight Moebius, it's fantastic)
Southern Bastards (Aaron/Latour)
Any of the Gillen/McKelvie collabs like Young Avengers vol. 2 or Wicked + Divine
Specifically Marvel stuff:
Fraction/Aja collabs like Hawkeye and Immortal Iron Fist
Astonishing X-men (Whedon/Cassaday - Cassaday has lost a step but his work in AXM is his best, beating even Planetary imo)
Thor: God of Thunder (Aaron/Ribic/Svorcina, though there is a fill-in artist between the ending and beginning arc)

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 6, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh one thing that occurred to me yesterday is that the type of graphic gore/body horror I'm talking about is perfectly on display in The Second Renaissance Part II of the Animatrix. The robots experimenting on humans, like the vertcally bisected person being vivisected or the brain stimmed guy, and the way the robots killed humans they were fighting - like when that guy gets his torso pulled out of his mech - is super evocative and disturbing and I can still vividly recall these scenes even though I haven't seen it in a decade. I think it serves a similar purpose as Invincible, where humans are reduced simply to parts of meat, and it's very effective.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't actually like Bagley that much, he draws bad faces. Immonen takes the book over at like, issue 110 and then Pichelli when it switches to Miles. Hitch drew Ultimates and it's predictably excellent, there's a really cool like five page splash in vol 2. As for UFF, well, Greg Land drew most of it...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Invincible had to pick a name that started with I because he had to have the Image Comics logo for a costume.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

stev posted:

Yeah if I had a superpower that not only took years off my life but made my life actively worse every time I used it I'd just... Never use it. Like I get that it could help people but there are loads of other superheroes with way better powers that don't cost poo poo to use.

And that's why she's a superhero, she can't not help people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who is as strong as Mark in the Marvel U, Thor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BSS loving hates Invincible so you do not want it there