Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Zesty posted:

Yes, I'm the one being weird about this mess. :jerkbag:

extremely, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I thought it was the other guy, but I agree with everything Zesty said so :shrug:

People have known this game was being made for years and the question was always "why??"

Nobody is even mad about it, most people are just laughing at how bad every single element of the game is.

e] Like giving Gollum a patchy bowl-cut because the game is set a couple of decades before lotr, even though Gollum is like ~500 years old already :psyduck:

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 27, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Someone post an actual picture of game Gollum because they 100% hosed up the design, that's entirely on them, and also it looks like a goddamn PS2 game

Like the game in theory could be a lot of fun. I made the Metal Gollum Solid joke already.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
This is the second thread I'm following that has been shat up by whinging about the Gollum game.

In other news, I drove through Esgaroth yesterday:

quote:

The small idyllic village of Eskerod is found in southern Djursland. It is highly likely that Tolkien discovered the Eskerod name during his lifelong studies of Jutlandish maps and then included it in The Hobbit in its original Old Norse form, ”Esgaroth” – the town that is attacked and destroyed by Smaug the fire-dragon.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Shelob is not a hot lady

Matter of opinion.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mzuri posted:

This is the second thread I'm following that has been shat up by whinging about the Gollum game.

In other news, I drove through Esgaroth yesterday:

I am sorry but

this simple road looks a lot prettier than golgame

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Golgame? I 'ardly knew 'ame :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Almost to end of the Quenta Silmarillion, and look, Morgoth is right. The sons of Feanor are the stupidest Elves to ever live.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Is it true to Tolkein's vision that Gollum cannot kill Orcs wearing a helmet?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Is it true to Tolkein's vision that Gollum cannot kill Orcs wearing a helmet?

Yes its all right here, next to Tolkeins notes about how sexy Shelob was

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Barudak posted:

Yes its all right here, next to Tolkeins notes about how sexy Shelob was

Come to think of it, as a philologist Tolkein would probably be irritated by that sentence because it's ambiguous if Gollum or the Orc is the one wearing the helmet.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Nothing wrong with a sexy Shelob.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

they're venom sacks, not tiddies

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
>PUT HELMETS ON TITS

You cannot put helmets on tits.

Thorin sits down and starts singing about gold.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

Almost to end of the Quenta Silmarillion, and look, Morgoth is right. The sons of Feanor are the stupidest Elves to ever live.

Finrod Felagund and the House of Finarfin forever

(literally because Finrod walks with his father beneath the trees in Eldamar)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

we don't know if he got let out of Mandos yet

also Fingolfin's is the best house

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

indigi posted:

we don't know if he got let out of Mandos yet

also Fingolfin's is the best house

We do know :colbert:

quote:

They buried the body of Felagund upon the hill-top of his own isle, and it was clean again; and the green grave of Finrod Finarfin's son, fairest of all the princes of the Elves, remained inviolate, until the land was changed and broken, and foundered under destroying seas. But Finrod walks with Finarfin his father beneath the trees in Eldamar

Barudak
May 7, 2007

One of the kids has started trying to take over the reading of the Silmarillion (like a paragraph or two at the start of the nights reading) and it is fuckin hilarious to have a small kid perfectly pronouncing Earendil and struggling with "bade".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's a kid classic. Like how many kids will perfectly pronounce so many dinosaurs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finished the Quenta Silmarillion, now for a spirited night of arguing on what the doors of night are, what became of morgoth, and the nature of man while kids demand we move onto the Akallabeth

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Morgoth is waiting to 1v1 Turin

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You know Morgoth would be way less able to trick people if the Valar weren't always so goddamn stupid.

We can wait for the divine plan to unfold, why can't these pesky Dunedain???

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Iirc even in universe no one has any real idea what happened to Ungoliant.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Earendil killed her. Probably. Tolkien even wrote a stanza of the Earendil song more or less to this effect, but it didn’t make the published text.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like that the dumb-dumb of the Valar is the one who is often most willing to help out, besides Ulmo

Everyone else is having councils, remembering the music and crying about trees. Meanwhile Tulkas is like "gang I can literally just run over there and beat the poo poo out of that guy in like 20 seconds. I've done it before."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

"We should really go and check up on the giant, creepy spider."
"Why don't you check up on the giant, spider?"
"Eh, it's probably fine."
"Yeah, that's what I thought."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

postin ;y favourite fanart of Tulkas for no reason except gently caress yeah

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

She popped out some kids then skipped town when her addiction got too bad so presumably somewhere in the south east of the continent there is a trailer park with a spider resident.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Barudak posted:

She popped out some kids then skipped town when her addiction got too bad so presumably somewhere in the south east of the continent there is a trailer park with a spider resident.

Bored of the Rings so often has genius takes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

skasion posted:

Earendil killed her. Probably. Tolkien even wrote a stanza of the Earendil song more or less to this effect, but it didn’t make the published text.

Can Earendil kill Ungoliant wearing a helmet?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Barudak posted:

...okay that explains Australia so much.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

postin ;y favourite fanart of Tulkas for no reason except gently caress yeah

that's a big boy

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

that's a big boy

Tulkas is swole.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

https://twitter.com/wittywebhandle/status/1669370737474387969?s=20

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I was struck while rewatching Fellowship how much the trip through Moria feels like a cosmic horror riff. The unknown horror that the dwarves woke up, the ancient halls that seem empty but aren't, and the expedition that Gimli's expecting to find that was already wiped out (and especially the scribe-dwarf's dying journal entry with the cryptic warnings) all could be straight out of Lovecraft if they weren't about dwarves and goblins.

Also Frodo really got stiffed on magic treasures huh. Bilbo went like half as far and picked up a magic ring, magic sword, and fancy impervious shirt. All Frodo ever got for himself was a glow in the dark thimble of elf water.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 25, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lovecraft and Tolkien were probably drawing on a lot of the same sources.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Randallteal posted:

Also Frodo really got stiffed on magic treasures huh. Bilbo went like half as far and picked up a magic ring, magic sword, and fancy impervious shirt. All Frodo ever got for himself was a glow in the dark thimble of elf water.

Already having Frodo's magic ring, magic sword, and fancy impervious shirt kinda shortened things. Not much point in Frodo scavenging for better weapons and armor when you've already got the best.

He did get some magical elf rations, although fancy crackers are less impressive.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Frodo also got a magic dagger (plunged into his chest by a Nazgul)

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Frodo also got a magic dagger (plunged into his chest by a Nazgul)

And crippling PTSD, to boot; well ahead of Bilbo there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sam gets a sweet rope and some good dirt.

Frodo also loses the mithril mail and the magic ring and gifts the magic sword away so good job hanging onto Bilbo's loot.