Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it doesn't make sense that the dirt helped all the trees grow cause the reason Lorien's soil was so rich was Nenya which got depowered so the soil ain't poo poo anymore. Tolkien hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Maybe once you charge up the dirt it stays charged. How do you know how magic dirt works? :colbert:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
The real magic dirt was inside Sam; namely, his poop was supernaturally effective fertilizer and by taking bathroom breaks next to his planted trees as he checked them he managed to boost their growth. The box dirt was just packaging for the mallorn seed.

(Insert your own horrific theories how this relates to the Entwives coming to the Shire...)

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the entwives evolved into hobbits

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ChubbyChecker posted:

the entwives evolved into hobbits

They evolved into pipeweed.

Then the hobbits smoked them all.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Lord of the Ring: Gollum™ developer Daedalic Entertainment shutting down their game development division.

Oh no. What a shock. :nallears:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's kinda rough but also lol they hosed up so bad they just retreat from the entire medium

Were they completely unfamiliar with video games and just dunning-krugered their way through it?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's kinda rough but also lol they hosed up so bad they just retreat from the entire medium

Were they completely unfamiliar with video games and just dunning-krugered their way through it?

They mostly made point & click adventure games from what I understand. I can't comment on their quality, they were probably alright? Apparently the skills did not transer over to making a modern stealth action game though

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gonna be honest, as bad as this game was, it wouldn't have been nearly as much of a laughingstock if they hadn't given Gollum that dopey haircut.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Asterite34 posted:

They mostly made point & click adventure games from what I understand. I can't comment on their quality, they were probably alright? Apparently the skills did not transer over to making a modern stealth action game though

What a shame. If they just made a little Gollum point-and-click it would have been critically-praised and sold better than the mess they made.

USE fish WITH rock

EAT slimy fish paste

TALK TO self

CURSE baggins

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asterite34 posted:

I can't comment on their quality, they were probably alright?

I can comment. Really bad. Sexist. Racist.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The actual game part was okay, just the main problem was that the entire series decided to focus on a very awful character who is awful in every way including being very sexist, and the series does this whole weird thing where it's trying to criticize him but also glorify him, and the game kept having the pretense towards him trying to get better and redeem himself but never actually improving much.

I did get the sense that the studio regretted some of their decisions as well, but not enough to not keep milking it for all it's worth. I dunno, loving Germans man.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Asterite34 posted:

The people who played their adventure games seemed to like them so this is kind of sad... I don't know the whole story but I wonder if their publisher pushed them into making it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

maybe they should have made gollum sexist and racist. lean into their audience

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

dunno, loving Germans man.

GIANTS Software presents: Gollum Simulator 2024

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jazerus posted:

maybe they should have made gollum sexist and racist. lean into their audience

Made me think of this for the first time in years

https://youtu.be/BxVNE70fLxY

Somewhere deep in somebodys computer out there is an uncensored recording of Andy Serkis calling Dobby from Harry Potter a “loving fag”

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

some of them were pretty good. the big series they were best-known for was terrible, though. the deponia games aimed for social commentary, particularly on other games, but they were so broad and confused that the final product was just bigoted and stupid.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Apparently Weta sells a bunch of ungodly expensive LOTR and other nerd knick-knacks on its website. Anyone want to buy a two foot-high $1200 statue of Jennifer Connelly and David Bowie from Labyrinth?

https://www.wetanz.com/us/shop/figures/jareth-and-sarah-in-the-illusionary-maze

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
People have too much money.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The life size Gollum sculpture is sold out. Why is there such a market for that?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

they probably made 10 of them

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Alhazred posted:

The life size Gollum sculpture is sold out. Why is there such a market for that?

Got to admit if I had a manor house or whatever having a Gollum next to the fishpond would amuse me unreasonably.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You know all those fancy elaborate figurines of anime characters, especially the girls with big tits and/or questionable ages? This is just the American version of them. Nerds got disposable income and little to no interest in 'traditional' home decorations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/drhingram/status/1556348635780087809

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wish my parents would have thrown me an overnight rager for my 21st

Barudak
May 7, 2007

<me, drunkenly to my best friend at graduation> I'm glad you're here, man. At the end of all things

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

<me, drunkenly to my best friend at graduation> I'm glad you're here, man. At the end of all things

hell yeah, my first tattoo was getting the white tree, with my high school best friend getting a matching Rohan horse at the same time

even today, drifted apart by time and space, we'll still shoot texts like "Gondor calls for aid" "and Rohan shall answer" as our dumbass way of saying that circumstance has not cancelled our eternal love

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

hell yeah, my first tattoo was getting the white tree, with my high school best friend getting a matching Rohan horse at the same time

even today, drifted apart by time and space, we'll still shoot texts like "Gondor calls for aid" "and Rohan shall answer" as our dumbass way of saying that circumstance has not cancelled our eternal love

Unironically lovely stuff

I've done similar. There was a lot of 'courage for our friends' zipping around in my best buds group at the start of the pandemic, and we drop 'not all tears are an evil' quite a lot

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I also have a Tolkien tattoo and I’m getting it added to in September. might wind up with a sleeve eventually idk we'll see

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Almost time to rewatch the extended trilogy.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Trip report: still tear up at the death of Boromir.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
He was a good lad who meant well

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
He was in peril, but escaped in the end. :unsmith:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I've been listening to the audiobook lately. Andy is a great reader

dubLEs
Oct 9, 2019
Just beginning The Silmarillion in my attempt to read all the published works of the Legendarium (have only read LotR and The Hobbit, up to now).

The first of (most likely) many questions: are the Timeless Halls distinct from the Deeps of Time (being the place where Eru Ilúvatar forms a habitat for the Children of the Earth)?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the Silmarillion is composed after Tolkien's death from iterative and incomplete drafts so the answer is both yes and no

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

dubLEs posted:

Just beginning The Silmarillion in my attempt to read all the published works of the Legendarium (have only read LotR and The Hobbit, up to now).

The first of (most likely) many questions: are the Timeless Halls distinct from the Deeps of Time (being the place where Eru Ilúvatar forms a habitat for the Children of the Earth)?

Seems like one’s got time, the other hasn’t.

The set phrase “in the deeps of time and amid the innumerable stars” is used a couple of times to describe the location of Arda and I think says basically that Arda is located in a broader space-time. In contrast to that the “timeless halls” seems to be where Eru and the Valar were when the Music happened, before Arda was created, and I think is basically “heaven” (in the sense of “the abode of God”, not just “the sky”)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

Trip report: still tear up at the death of Boromir.

Nobody dies like Sean Bean.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alhazred posted:

Nobody dies like Sean Bean.

And you can make drat well sure of it in Hitman soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dubLEs
Oct 9, 2019
Tolkien says that an 'e' on the end of a name is pronounced as a distinct vowel and is usually written as 'ë'. Does that mean the letter is said as 'ay/eh' or 'ee'. As in, Man-wee or Man-way'?

dubLEs fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 30, 2024