Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
This is my fireplace mantle. A map of Middle Earth, pleather LOTR books, and pipes from my grandfather and dad. I've only read everything but Return of the King which I'm in the multi-month process of reading it since I switch between books I'm reading constantly.

Don't judge me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

reignofevil posted:

This is classy as hell.

I, on the other hand, am not.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Barudak posted:

I try not to look at maps of middle earth because it ruins the magic for me a little.

I don't get that. Tolkien LOVED maps. Each book has like 5 maps in them. Plus, how does that take away magic from it?

Sorry but that's just a weird thing to say lol.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Where are the pleather books from?

It's the The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings: Deluxe Pocket Boxed Set from Amazon. Yeah they're a bit small but I wouldn't call them "pocket" sized. I really like them.

edit: oh it's vinyl. I don't know my materials. But it's supposed to mimic leather. :shrug:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Apr 11, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Songs about LOTR? Look no further than mother loving Led Zepplin. Also has an amazing bass line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzGBQerkvWs

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Woah, I can't believe no one posted this yet.

I got to lead my own detail of like 10 recruits in boot camp and I did this as the cadence as we were walking to the chow hall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

indigi posted:

a dude in an LotR meme group claimed that Theoden's decision to spare Wormtongue was a thematic departure from the original text and was Peter Jackson's "postmodernist" commentary on the Bush administration.

:crossarms:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've been "reading" Return of the King for months now. I read a few pages last night. The ending of the battle outside of Gondor where Theoden dies.

This is a good book.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
How on Earth do you guys know all of this stuff? Is it a Silmarillion thing? I love LOTR but I have no desire to go deep into the lore of everything. I'm halfway through ROTK right now and they don't even touch on this type of detail. I do notice he mentions a different land or type of people what seems like every 10 pages and I have no idea what he's talking about. Seems like he just makes up silly names on the fly.

You're just nerds aren't you. Really big nerds right? God bless you. I'm glad someone is into this stuff to help explain it. I've often thought about why there aren't any elven children and now I'm glad I know that they just are done with that BS.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm certainly glad it's there. I can't follow all of it though. There's soooooooooooooo much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't know why but I just thought of this again.