Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

scientists should invent a number that comes after 9

according to my keyboard, it's 0.

That makes no sense at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

867-4309

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Why can’t we all just start sharing phone numbers like we do with ride sharing poo poo.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
You got the wrong number. This is nine one... two.

SAN
Jan 23, 2004

Unknownone bought me this account as I am a cheap bastard.

I fear having my ass completely handed to me.

Did you make that mistake on purpose or did you just have a brainfart?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Ideally, we would do away with E.164/NANP dialing and assign everyone their own personal IPv6 address. Maybe figure out some sort of abbreviation so people don't have to memorize a sixteen character string.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

SAN posted:

Did you make that mistake on purpose or did you just have a brainfart?
hi is jenny there??? what do you mean? cmon stop kidding around and put jenny on the phone.

huh? oh this is 4309?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Vampire Panties posted:

Ideally, we would do away with E.164/NANP dialing and assign everyone their own personal IPv6 address. Maybe figure out some sort of abbreviation so people don't have to memorize a sixteen character string.

Get a loada this nerd

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

big_brother posted:

Honestly just drop phone numbers. go completely to VoIP tech using screen names and emails as ways to talk. I will only be using Discord as a means to conduct business cuz I'm a real gamer.

to everyone using a 9-key pad: future is now old man.

"Honey could you keep it down? I'm on a call with HornyGoatMaster420"

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Alexa, call Vampire Panties.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

You can have my phone number honey :biglips:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
The weirdest thing of all is I remember my first phone number had letters in it
:negative:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
:wtf:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Exactly, it was

TH5-5555

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I call dibs on the phone number "1" when they switch over to the new system.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

the corona quid posted:

This is the most loving goon answer to a problem I’ve ever seen in my life lmfao. Nobody normal is going to go for this idiotic poo poo lol

Who do you think is in charge of the phone numbers, idiot? Nerds

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

big_brother posted:

Honestly just drop phone numbers. go completely to VoIP tech using screen names and emails as ways to talk. I will only be using Discord as a means to conduct business cuz I'm a real gamer.

to everyone using a 9-key pad: future is now old man.

What.... what's wrong with 9-key pads? :(

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Call me

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Who What Now posted:

So in America phone numbers are a nine digit string, meaning there is at most 1,000,000,000 possible combinations. America's population is 328 million, but when you factor in business phones, especially ones with multiple lines you'll start to see the impending crisis we have on our hands that nobody is talking about. We passed peak phone numbers a long time ago and soon we won't have enough to go around. We MUST solve this crisis!!

my phone number has ten digits :smug:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hit me up

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

500 good dogs posted:

my phone number has ten digits :smug:

The 1 doesn't count! Everyone has that! :rant:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Phone letters?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Yep back in the olden days when they had rotary dials each number had like letters by it and for some reason the first couple you'd say the letter instead of the number

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dial my diggits

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Imagine if we had party cell phone lines LOL

A party line used to exist too thank God we never had one but that means like seriously I think it was two houses maybe next door to each other would have the same phone number and line no poo poo

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Who What Now posted:

The 1 doesn't count! Everyone has that! :rant:

281-330-8004!

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

haha all the cool kids already have 10 digit numbers, you're just a loser stuck on 9.

my uncle works at the phone company when he's not at Nintendo so I have an 11 digit number, suck it

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Spinz posted:

Yep back in the olden days when they had rotary dials each number had like letters by it and for some reason the first couple you'd say the letter instead of the number

Touch-Tone push button phones had the same letters on each button too; 1 was blank, but ABC was 2, DEF was 3 and so on.

e:the Russian's still make a cell phone with push buttons and Cyrillic/Roman letters for each number.

back in my phreaking days, i called military servers with additional undocumented dialing tones using a silver box and a beige box; which is basically a hacked lineman's handset.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 27, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Use letters. Duh.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

the corona quid posted:

Why can’t we all just start sharing phone numbers like we do with ride sharing poo poo.

That would be the party line.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Add more numbers, duh. No, not to the phone number. To the keypad. So you have 0-9 now, but add like 10, 11 and 12. So then you can have the same amount of numbers but more total numbers!

Example:
-55 uh oh we have nothing else!

The solution:

It's the most sensible solution.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Once they find the last number, the Lawnmower Man makes all the phones ring :cripes:

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

syntaxfunction posted:

It's the most sensible solution.

That's not how this works.
That's not how any of this works.

Adding more digits is nontrivial. You can't just make it so that there are new 10-digit numbers that are the same as as existing 9-digit numbers but one longer. At least not while touch tone dialing is still a thing... there's no enter key on the keypad, no way to indicate that you're done dialing after the ninth digit. You could add timeout but that's still a lousy UX and would result in numerous wrong calls to the 9-digit numbers.

Move the canucks to currently reserved and somewhat dignified country code 28; free up all their area codes in the US system and make those and any other still unused area codes new US 10-digit numbers. Inside Canada their old numbers would be unchanged.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Why not start using negative numbers?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
oh gently caress!!! just reuse the old ones that aren't in service anymore idiots

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

someone can use my number during the hours i'm asleep

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

frumpykvetchbot posted:

That's not how this works.
That's not how any of this works.

You're struggling with this, so I will try to explain more for you :)

You don't add an extra number, that's silly, like you said. Like 559 is 5 5 9, and 5510 isn't 5 5 1 0, it's 5 5 10. So you just press the ten button.

I dunno, sounds like you're overthinking it honestly.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bad Purchase posted:

someone can use my number during the hours i'm asleep

TThank you. I would like to use your number. It is a good one.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Wait....there are two ways to approach this, more numbers or fewer people. I think we can all agree on the right answer now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Nobody calls each other anymore grandpa

Maybe if you're some ivory-tower "tech bro".

But if you're your average, hard-working, blue collar Phone Scammer, we're currently in the middle of a true golden age.