Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
just start throwing on alpha beta gamma delta epsilon omicron phi chi etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i have the perfect solution but i will only tell it to the person who calls my number

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Robo Reagan posted:

i have the perfect solution but i will only tell it to the person who calls my number

Baby girl I'm hitting up ur number haha, you're so sweet.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Pakistani politics posted:

Once they find the last number, the Lawnmower Man makes all the phones ring :cripes:

Is that when we get to leave?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
While the OP probably meant this thread as a joke, this is actually a serious concern, though, as the linked article says, not a very pressing one since we have about 30 years before we run out of spare phone numbers at the current rate they're being used up. Also I'm definitely part of the problem since I have 10 phone numbers just myself :v: (I do have valid reasons for all of them, and I would love to share those reasons if doing so would not make it easier to doxx me).

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
this happened in australia ages ago we just added another number to the front its ok

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
This is a simple supply and demand problem. Charge more for phone numbers so less people buy them.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I have an extra phone number if anyone needs it. I've been using it exclusively for prank phonecalls (which nobody does anymore so nobody is prepared for) so people might try to get revenge on you for the things that I've done.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Seize the means of telecommunication.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
You can use the '4' from my phone number, np

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Doubtful, op. I think we should be thorough and check.

Is 1 already taken?

Okay.

What about 2?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If we run out of numbers just reset the system. Everyone's number gets removed and they have to apply for a new one. I hope I get 9!

Also it isn't reset again. First in, first served, bitches.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

Why not start using negative numbers?

this is a billion dollar idea right here, u fuckin did it

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's just kicking the drat can down the road. What don't we tie our phones to our souls which are unique and created by God instead of numbers which are multitudinous and created by science?

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
If they just add a decimal point button to telephone keypads we would have access to all those other numbers between the integers. Boom, infinite phone numbers.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

frumpykvetchbot posted:

That's not how this works.
That's not how any of this works.

Adding more digits is nontrivial. You can't just make it so that there are new 10-digit numbers that are the same as as existing 9-digit numbers but one longer. At least not while touch tone dialing is still a thing... there's no enter key on the keypad, no way to indicate that you're done dialing after the ninth digit. You could add timeout but that's still a lousy UX and would result in numerous wrong calls to the 9-digit numbers.

Move the canucks to currently reserved and somewhat dignified country code 28; free up all their area codes in the US system and make those and any other still unused area codes new US 10-digit numbers. Inside Canada their old numbers would be unchanged.

IRC fixed length phone numbers is mostly an american thing and somewhat of an exception worldwide. Most countries have been using variable length phone numbers for ages without any problems

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Who the gently caress has a landline anymore lol

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh gee I don't know. The military? The government?

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Yeah right they all have telepathic communication devices

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
IPv6 but for phones :hmmyes:

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I have an extra phone number if anyone needs it. I've been using it exclusively for prank phonecalls (which nobody does anymore so nobody is prepared for) so people might try to get revenge on you for the things that I've done.

LPC alt spotted

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Who What Now posted:

So in America phone numbers are a nine digit string, meaning there is at most 1,000,000,000 possible combinations. America's population is 328 million, but when you factor in business phones, especially ones with multiple lines you'll start to see the impending crisis we have on our hands that nobody is talking about. We passed peak phone numbers a long time ago and soon we won't have enough to go around. We MUST solve this crisis!!

Phone number should just be your full name. You type in the full name and it connects. You're loving welcome Elon, I'd like a check.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I had this idea within reading the first sentence of OP. While making GBS threads. I'm a pro problem solver over here.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

are we out of phone numers yet

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mr.Radar posted:

While the OP probably meant this thread as a joke, this is actually a serious concern, though, as the linked article says, not a very pressing one since we have about 30 years before we run out of spare phone numbers at the current rate they're being used up. Also I'm definitely part of the problem since I have 10 phone numbers just myself :v: (I do have valid reasons for all of them, and I would love to share those reasons if doing so would not make it easier to doxx me).

i’m not sure how serious of a concern it really is. it will be interesting to see how common regular phone numbers are in thirty years. even then there are a number of area codes not currently in use, each of which adds several million more numbers to the plan.

i like the wiki discussion about adding a fourth digit to the area codes to distinguish between the us and canada

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 27, 2021

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring, the final phone
I've got this feeling. This sinking feeling
That I'll never hear another person again

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
how can a phone number be a number if you can't divide it in half

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Numbers version 6 is just around the corner guys...

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Clearly we must reclaim old unused numbers from the dead. Come on great grandma ain't nobody calling you beyond the grave, give it up!

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Ad by Khad posted:

this is a billion dollar idea right here, u fuckin did it

I would like to thank all the people in my life who influenced me to develop my mind, without which none of this is possible. If you could please send the check to my home address at 12.........whaaaa no....that bastard

Leap Day William posted:

If they just add a decimal point button to telephone keypads we would have access to all those other numbers between the integers. Boom, infinite phone numbers.

Contest is over pal! You can't come in here after the prize has been awarded and just add ideas in the mix. It's not professional and not how this works. Infinite numbers, come on, you really expect us to believe that??!!! On second thought, I'll just take that check now and be leaving, I'm a very busy man. Numbers between numbers pff, that's rich! What's next, start using imaginary numbers?? What an idiot! Now where is that check?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Who What Now posted:

So in America phone numbers are a nine digit string

What part of America has nine digit phone numbers?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

What part of America has nine digit phone numbers?

nine york city

BRICKFACE
Apr 20, 2002

I BITE
what good is a phone call if you are unable to ... speak

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Slugnoid posted:

this happened in australia ages ago we just added another number to the front its ok

Two digits to three?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

BRICKFACE posted:

what good is a phone call if you are unable to ... speak

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

mediaphage posted:

i like the wiki discussion about adding a fourth digit to the area codes to distinguish between the us and canada
Let's just fork the phone systems. How often could someone really need to call Canada anyway?

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Just heard all the new phone numbers are on the Ever Given, gently caress looks like they'll be late

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Bill Clinton's neoliberal policies contributed to this crisis.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They’re going to have to reveal the secret number, eleventy, that you get by pushing star and pound at the same time. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Bill Clinton's neoliberal policies contributed to this crisis.

People often cite this but never cite his phone number. Well, what is it? Put up or shut up.