Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ha, Frieza's energy disc hit Goku's arm so hard it bounced off! No way the Super Saiyan is gonna recover from that one. Now to close the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
*closes the book when Krillin explodes*

Ah, what a great story.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

AfO unironically has a "Republicans for Voldemort" bumper sticker.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
How old is AfO supposed to be anyway? The timeline for how long it's taken OfA to reach Deku seems pretty easy to manipulate for any possible story reason.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

E Wait I'm not sure if the anime is there yet

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gazaar posted:

How old is AfO supposed to be anyway? The timeline for how long it's taken OfA to reach Deku seems pretty easy to manipulate for any possible story reason.

All for One is for sure over 100.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Good ending to the season. Next year, the brakes are not stopping on this crazy train

https://twitter.com/heroaca_anime/status/1441688172342087682?s=21

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

Good ending to the season. Next year, the brakes are not stopping on this crazy train

If they’re already advertising Season 6 I wonder if that means there won’t be as much of a break in between this time around.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gee I hope they do as great a job of adapting the 6th season as they did in the 5th.

can't wait for 10 episodes of UA midterms and the summer sports fest with 3 eps of a Deku v Shigaraki fight

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Gee I hope they do as great a job of adapting the 6th season as they did in the 5th.

can't wait for 10 episodes of UA midterms and the summer sports fest with 3 eps of a Deku v Shigaraki fight

There is literally no more of that kind of stuff in the rest of the series. From here on, things start to heat up and don’t really stop (though how well they adapt said material remains to be seen).

Also there’s no movie to get in the way this time so it shouldn’t be as hacked up story wise (I hope not anyway)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 25, 2021

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If Bones gets sad about not being able to waste a shitload of time on essentially filler, they are going to have to just do full filler arcs from now on out because basically the brakes come off the train at this point in the story.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

I'm sure they can fit a couple episodes' worth of flashbacks or random irrelevant asides to what some side character is doing somewhere in there if they really need to pad things out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am kind of amazed they had the gall to do recaps and flashbacks to earlier events this episode.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am kind of amazed they had the gall to do recaps and flashbacks to earlier events this episode.

To be fair that one part where All Might flashes back to his scenes with Midoriya actually does happen in the manga

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That really felt like it should have been the first episode of season 6.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
this season had a lot of missed opportunities, but i don't think it was an utter disaster. the movie obviously hosed with production, but i wonder how much covid really starting to kick off in japan earlier this year had to do with some of the production snafus in the latter half of the season. then again, i watched the last episode of mha and maid dragon back to back today and the difference in the quality even during normal scenes was jarring

it is super disappointing that we didn't get the super sakuga moment sad man parade deserved, or a little bit more focus on spinner.

on a separate note i love dabi giving compress poo poo for not doing any thing and just ignoring that ice dude completely shut him down as well

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

There's a dozen ways I could be convinced the MLA are a great villain faction but the anime has not done any of them

Yup! I haven't read the manga, but in the anime they are all just whiny people. Dabi is portrayed as this cool guy and he's done jack poo poo and we have no reason to care about him, 5 seasons in. Toga is under-age Harley Quinn with knives, the magic dude and the lizard guy are there I guess. And Shigaraki, gory power and everything has the most boring and cliché goal: just to destroy poo poo. While being whiny about it.

Twice is the only interesting one.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think Toga is much like Harley Quinn.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
She's a manic pixie murder girl

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
even though compress barely gets any focus or development i still find him kind of fascinating because he's seems like this grounded professional criminal that sticks out of the league of villains like a sore thumb

i always find myself wondering exactly why he's in this terrorist organization with all these psychopathic loser teens. like, of course society isn't set up how he likes it, but he seems like someone who should still be fine working around the margins running heists. i kind of wonder if he's on the take from all for one to just be a stabilizing influence or something

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Stage magicians are some of the most inherently evil people around.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Funky Valentine posted:

Stage magicians are some of the most inherently evil people around.

they trick people for a living!

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I don’t mind the league, but yeah, I expected them to be more developed than this by now. 5 seasons is a lot of time and I still don’t know anything about half the league members

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Vincent posted:

Yup! I haven't read the manga, but in the anime they are all just whiny people. Dabi is portrayed as this cool guy and he's done jack poo poo and we have no reason to care about him, 5 seasons in. Toga is under-age Harley Quinn with knives, the magic dude and the lizard guy are there I guess. And Shigaraki, gory power and everything has the most boring and cliché goal: just to destroy poo poo. While being whiny about it.

Twice is the only interesting one.

All the people claiming the anime season was leaving out characterization made me go back and read the manga to catch up, but no even this season is a pretty faithful adaption. There's no real characterization in the manga that isn't touched on in the anime, the villains not being sympathetic is a problem with both of them and hardly anime exclusive. Almost all of the problems I had with this anime season were present in the source material actually, which makes me confused about the negativity the manga readers had (Spinners characterization in the manga is...literally nothing but Stain fanboy with some past discrimination, which the anime showed perfectly well).

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm caught up with both the manga and the anime and the League of Villains are a bunch of lame losers in both.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

8one6 posted:

I'm caught up with both the manga and the anime and the League of Villains are a bunch of lame losers in both.

:emptyquote:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think Toga is much like Harley Quinn.

It's the aesthetic. I see it with Jeanette in VTM Bloodlines, too. Cute girlish face combined with a violent and psychotic personality.

It depends on which incarnation of Harley you're going with but I think the basic appeal is the same. And Hori loves Western comics so Toga being modeled off Harley seems likely enough.

But yeah, the League sucks. I've thought this for years and years now and it doesn't change with rewatches or seasonal progress. Stain and Overhaul remain my favorite MHA villains by far.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

edit: double post

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
While the League sucks, Twice rules and makes up for most of it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Zeron posted:

While the League sucks, Twice rules and makes up for most of it.

The League Rocks, Twice is the worst and almost ruins it all.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

They're too "loud" to be interesting/likable.

Toga's love thing is unrelatably obnoxious. Twice's split personality thing might have been funny once at most. Dabi and Tomura are both too serious/dour.

Spinner and Compress aren't bad, but they're barely there, really.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Spinner got robbed this season and had 80% of his lines and screen time removed.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

NikkolasKing posted:

It's the aesthetic. I see it with Jeanette in VTM Bloodlines, too. Cute girlish face combined with a violent and psychotic personality.

It depends on which incarnation of Harley you're going with but I think the basic appeal is the same. And Hori loves Western comics so Toga being modeled off Harley seems likely enough.

Toga "loving" people to an obsessive and violent degree, as well as seeing beauty in violence, is also very Harley. Like you said, it depends on the version, but I definitely don't think it's a coincidence that Toga is a blonde who's normal hairstyle is pretty similar to pigtails. They're far from 1:1 but it's similar to the way that All Might is a send up of Superman and/or Captain America. Take the base character idea, put your own spin on it.

I love Harley so it's not a surprise that Toga's my favorite member of the League, although it's not exactly stiff competition. Spinner and Compress don't get that much story, even in the manga, and I don't care much for Dabi's "I'm too cool for this" poo poo. Twice is okay but his gimmick is annoying. Shigaraki's fine. His personal motivations are whatever but he works well as an engine of destruction that drives the plot forward.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Dabi becomes unintentionally amusing when you consider that for all his tough talk and attitude he's the biggest fuckup in the series. He was in charge of the camp raid which got a bunch of strong members caught and the tracker implanted that lead the heroes to the safehouse. He's also the one who was spotted entering the bar. Also the reason the League is so small is that he was put in charge of recruitment but he just went around killing all the potential recruits like a total lunatic. He didn't help against Gigantomacia and instead did his High-End plan which ended with them losing the nomu for no gain (in fact it invigorated trust in Endeavor). He recruited Hawks who is a spy and allowed him access to basically everything. And he accomplished nothing in the fight against the MLA.

There used to be a theory that he was an even more secret mole than Hawks because of how much he's hosed over the League.

Anyway Shigaraki, Toga and Twice all own. Spinner and Compress have their charms as well.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't think any of that is a real indictment of Dabi. He's very clearly the least enthusiastic of any of the members. If the League was all captured, he'd just shrug and find another group to cause mayhem with

It sets him apart that he's the only one who has no real interest in comradeship. As the rest of the Leageu grows closer in their own warped way, Dabi is just as standoffish as ever.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I forgot that there were other villains that got taken down in the camp raid. Imagine if creepy teeth dude was still around! Blech.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The Muscle guy fight was so good

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

The Muscle guy fight was so good

It's absolutely one of the greatest moments in the series for me. Sums up everything I love about the series as a whole and Deku as an MC.

That part where he's about to die and apologizes to All Might and his mom also makes me tear up every time.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

cool teaser, but i hope its not implying deku and shigaraki have their big fated fight next season already. unless it means shigaraki is winning this one, for once. hes been on the losing end 2 often since the beginning of the series and itd be nice to have him become final boss status b4 he gets beat again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fucker posted:

cool teaser, but i hope its not implying deku and shigaraki have their big fated fight next season already. unless it means shigaraki is winning this one, for once. hes been on the losing end 2 often since the beginning of the series and itd be nice to have him become final boss status b4 he gets beat again

It won’t, that hasn’t even happened in the manga yet as far as I’m aware (well, it sort of does but it’s nowhere near their final confrontation).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 5, 2021