Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can assure you there will at least be a season 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So we can watch heroes rising now right

Is that adapted from manga material or is that anime original stuff shoved into the timeline at that exact point, long before they had reached it in the anime?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Is that adapted from manga material or is that anime original stuff shoved into the timeline at that exact point, long before they had reached it in the anime?

None of the movies are based on manga content (which is usually the case for anime movies based on long running series’ in general)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

The latter, I think it's supposed to take place right after the Joint Training and MVA arcs but before the Endeavor arc. Tokoyami has his flying move, but Deku isn't using Black Whip. Shigaraki is working with the doctor and has lost his fingers (but bizarrely his hair isn't pure white like it should be).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The thread title was half a joke. Heroes Rising takes place during the Villain Academia arc, with Endeavor having his scar, Hawks being here, and the good doctor making a small appearance, but it was nothing super important. It was just funny that all that was happening while the anime itself was on season 3.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The villain also hints at Deku being able to use multiple quirks.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Is World Heroes Mission set before or after the latest season? I haven't had a chance watch the new season yet, but I don't want to spoil it for myself by going to see the new movie.

edit: thanks!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 26, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I would say watch the season before you see the movie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's set during the Endeavor arc, which is why the arcs got shuffled around to tie into the Japanese release.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Anyone know if amc is dubbed or subs

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

Anyone know if amc is dubbed or subs

They have both.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
none of the listings ever say which is dumb since non amc theaters will list it

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
OK, season five down.

- I thought this was the weakest season of the show by far. The tournament between the two classes was fun but felt really insubstantial, the Endeavor and work-studies arc was alright but extremely repetitive, and the villains arc was just dull. Shigaraki is occasionally interesting and the flashback to what happened with his family was an effective scene, but everyone else in the league is currently either boring or actively annoying like Twice and his Venom/Deadpool gimmick or Toga as vampire Misa Amane. It was a season that started slow, got a little better at the midpoint, and then just totally flatlined by the end. I see from this thread that the manga is better; I believe it, but that's not what I watched.

- The greatest sin of all: the opening songs were the worst the show has had, in my opinion. I liked the second one more than the first, but still. The ending songs were fine I guess, but they didn't hook me. Best opener is still Sora ni Utaeba followed by Peace Sign; best ending is still Dakara, Hitori ja Nai.

- The Aizawa episode was pretty good.

- I like the concept of Momo's character, but I also feel like the writer is lying to me or possibly himself and that her actual reason to exist is purely to be "girl with enormous cleavage in the background" and everything else is an excuse to make it seem Not That.

- Conversely, I appreciate that Kendo is literally just Athena Cykes from the Ace Attorney games.

- I know there was a bit at some point in the season where they circled back to the "there's a traitor among the students!" thing finally, and my recollection is that they were just like "...nah, there isn't." But I don't know that I'm remembering that correctly.

- There wasn't as much Mirio and Eri as I wanted this season, but I'm glad they didn't disappear entirely.

- I think it was Bakugo who pointed out that Todoroki is both weirdly sharp and dull. Y'know, he's right. I want more episodes like the one about media training; ones that get into the secondary skillsets it takes to be an effective hero.

- I'm not opposed to Deku getting more quirks, but I thought the pacing of Black Whip was extremely weird. He says "my gosh, there's no way I could possibly control this yet" and then spends a week with Endeavor basically just running around behind him and can now suddenly be confident about snatching a bunch of cars out of the air and lowering them to the ground.

- I think my favorite moment of the season was Ochaku's sweet ninja moves in the locker room to hide the All Might figurine she carries around with her from the other girls. Was that her white elephant Christmas gift from Deku?

- Also, the concept of a hero named Gunhead being a martial artist, and her constantly yelling "GUNHEAD MARTIAL ARTS!" while doing the same arm drag move every time is incredible. I expected her to arm drag the plane.

- Is UA only a two-year program? There was a mention at the end about them becoming upper classman after this season, and then there was something confusing about there still being three more months and finals to go, so idk what's going in terms of the timeline and school system.

- Is there anywhere to watch World Heroes Mission at this point? It's out of theaters around here, I don't see it on Funimation, and I can't rent it on Amazon like I could the other movies.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

surf rock posted:

- I'm not opposed to Deku getting more quirks, but I thought the pacing of Black Whip was extremely weird. He says "my gosh, there's no way I could possibly control this yet" and then spends a week with Endeavor basically just running around behind him and can now suddenly be confident about snatching a bunch of cars out of the air and lowering them to the ground.

This is a little less egregious in the manga, where the Endeavor stuff comes after the villain arc, so some real world time passes before returning to it.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

This is a little less egregious in the manga, where the Endeavor stuff comes after the villain arc, so some real world time passes before returning to it.

Yeah, isn't the Endeavor training stuff supposed to take around a month or so?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's definitely more than a week, yeah. Also the whole-rear end movie somehow takes place during it.

Also UA is a three year school, Mirio and the others are third years. They're talking about becoming second years and having a class under them. The series at this point is close to the end of their first year, which is what the talk of exams is referring to.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

surf rock posted:

- The greatest sin of all: the opening songs were the worst the show has had, in my opinion. I liked the second one more than the first, but still. The ending songs were fine I guess, but they didn't hook me. Best opener is still Sora ni Utaeba followed by Peace Sign; best ending is still Dakara, Hitori ja Nai.

i liked the "everybody now were heeeeeeeereeeeeee". its cool as hell imo. weak chorus tho

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The carooo-sell goes up and goes down

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

surf rock posted:

OK, season five down.

-snip-

This is a cool post, reading reactions like this is always really cool. Also always love to see some Kendo praise.

This season is definitely the weakest. I think the biggest thing is just how little they seemed to care in the second half. The anime just exists to promote the movies now. The reason Ochako's sweet ninja skills (it was her x-mas present btw) made such a great scene is because it was obvious they put love and effort into making it look fun and dynamic. There really isn't that in the rest of the last two arcs, very little in the way of sakuga at all. Meanwhile they cut actual content and replaced it with filler and flashbacks. It was a seriously poor effort that makes me dubious on whether I'll even bother with next season, I was mostly skimming the episodes past a certain point anyway.

Also agree on the OP's. The first half OP was bland and generic and the second one was just poo poo. The song is bad and tonally completely disconnected from the content of the season and the visuals were also poor and uninspired. Why show the classmates when they don't even appear for 95% of the season? Apparently the singers are well regarded so they must have gotten some seriously bad instructions on making it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Turning one of the strongest arcs in the manga into what is probably the weakest arc in the anime is a hell of an achievement and it completely soured me on the anime.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I dunno where to ask about this.

Is it true the MHA manga might be ending soon? I just hear that rumor and have no idea if it's true or not. I don't follow the manga.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Is it true the MHA manga might be ending soon? I just hear that rumor and have no idea if it's true or not. I don't follow the manga.

In about a year or so last I checked, yes

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I mean the villain arc was obviously thousands of times better in the manga but they can't possibly gently caress up the next arc, right???

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

I mean the villain arc was obviously thousands of times better in the manga but they can't possibly gently caress up the next arc, right???

Hey, they have managed 4/5 great seasons. That's an 80% success rate. I have faith.

Larryb posted:

In about a year or so last I checked, yes

Well I guess it's good to end it when you think it's right....but I love his series so much. The guy who told me this says the series is explicitly just about MHA and maybe we'll get a continuation manga with them as older and having graduated.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, Horikoshi had a statement at Jump Festa where he said that if all went planned, the manga would end in about a year. There's probably a good two or three seasons left of content to adapt.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

They already removed the Hero of Hell. Abandon all hope, ye who enter here may be cliche in this situation, but...

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I like that it's ending soon, seeing as it already has a few manga spin offs, there could be more anime stuff too.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Yes, and it feels about as rushed as you'd imagine.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kild posted:

Yes, and it feels about as rushed as you'd imagine.

I feel like if they were going to make a Vigilantes anime, they would have already

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Season 6 is slated to begin in October (hopefully it’ll be better handled than the fifth one was):

https://www.monstersandcritics.com/anime/my-hero-academia-season-6-release-date-boku-no-hero-academia-season-6-2022/

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Hopefully the longer turnaround period means they’ll be nailing the key points of this coming arc

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ll admit I kind of liked the first 4 seasons of the anime so I’m willing to write #5 off as an unfortunate fluke (plus there’s no movie to get in the way this time and without spoiling anything I will say this particular batch of chapters has a much stronger start than the last one) but we’ll see I guess.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The third movie did better than the second which did better than the first. Yonkou (twitter guy who has some inexplicable connection to the industry in Japan and isn't USUALLY wrong) posted a year or so ago that there was a plan for an MHA movie basically every year for the next 5+ years.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The first movie was announced in December and premiered that next August.

II: Announced March, premiered December.

III: Announced November, premiered August.

For me there's 100% chance that they'll announce the next movie in a few months for a December-ish premiere, perfectly timed to ruin the first cour of the next season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair, though I don’t remember the first two movies interfering with the progression of the actual season the way the third one did.

Speaking of, do we know when Movie #3 is getting a DVD release yet?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Larryb posted:

Fair, though I don’t remember the first two movies interfering with the progression of the actual season the way the third one did.

Speaking of, do we know when Movie #3 is getting a DVD release yet?

Nothing sticks out for season 3, but in season 4, they definitely didn't bring out their A game for the Mirio Overhaul fight. And a lot of the Gentle fight was pretty phoned in. Gently Sandwich looked awesome in the manga and it was butchered in the anime.

It looks like World Heroes' Mission will release on DVD in February in Japan, so a maybe few months for the US.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm terrible with times and stuff but does MHA usually start up new seasons in the Fall? I was thinking for whatever reason the next season would be starting soon-ish but Google tells me not until Fall of this year and that just felt wrong. But maybe I'm misremembering the last couple years I've been following along.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'm terrible with times and stuff but does MHA usually start up new seasons in the Fall? I was thinking for whatever reason the next season would be starting soon-ish but Google tells me not until Fall of this year and that just felt wrong. But maybe I'm misremembering the last couple years I've been following along.

Season 6 starts this October, that’s all we know right now

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Season 1-3 started in April

Season 4 in October

Season 5 was in March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I saw that World Heroes Mission finally arrived on Prime Video. Stuff I liked:

- Deku finding a way to pay the bus fare anyway
- Salaam's extremely weird design
- Bakugo achieved peak Vegeta energy during his fight at the villain hideout entrance
- United States of Smash looked good

That's about it. Overall, not terrible, but I thought it was a big step down from the first two movies and much more in-line with the disappointing season five.