Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

My first game in a couple of weeks and I queued into Decidueye with my Mewtwo & Mew GX deck and got to witness my favourite interaction in this game : the long pause after I hit their bird for 130 from Greninja's Mist Slash.

I swear none of them are aware of it because after winning that game I immediately queued into another Decidueye only this time my Greninja was prized and I only found it after my third Boss's Orders snipe and by then it was just too late, but of course my opponent was spamming smug emotes the whole time after it was obvious I wasn't conceding early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'm kind of surprised there's even any Decidueye left around, not seen that deck for months now

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Both of them were using the Inteleon tutor line so I thought that must've given the deck a new breath of life or something. But yeah, I really don't know what the current meta is like having only played for a short time after the release of Chilling Reign. Really looking forward to the rotation though.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I’ve been having good luck with that Inteleon deck since most people run the Charizard deck more than half my match-ups.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

IG-88 posted:

I’ve been having good luck with that Inteleon deck since most people run the Charizard deck more than half my match-ups.

In standard or theme? Water decks are the quick way to easy wins in theme, so many goddamn charizards

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Iiiiiiiiiiiiit's prerelease! I got some one to be another purchasing body for me so I got two kits and some great pulls.

Dunno what should be put in the special box of rare, expensive, and cards I like though, other than the Leafeon obviously.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

mfcrocker posted:

In standard or theme? Water decks are the quick way to easy wins in theme, so many goddamn charizards

Oh yeah, theme. I haven’t played the game in decades dude, I’m still getting back into the hang of things lol

So much RNG, gently caress.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

IG-88 posted:

Oh yeah, theme. I haven’t played the game in decades dude, I’m still getting back into the hang of things lol

So much RNG, gently caress.

Nice! I'm all about the Piplup/Kyogre one myself

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Turbinosamente posted:

Iiiiiiiiiiiiit's prerelease! I got some one to be another purchasing body for me so I got two kits and some great pulls.

Dunno what should be put in the special box of rare, expensive, and cards I like though, other than the Leafeon obviously.

That boost shake made me think you were bringing a handgrenade to a pokemon fight.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Hey I have a charizard card, holographic with no shadow from when I was a kid. What do I do with this, it's supposedly worth some money?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hey I have a charizard card, holographic with no shadow from when I was a kid. What do I do with this, it's supposedly worth some money?

Go to eBay, or tcg player, or if you're ok with 50% your local game store

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

HootTheOwl posted:

Go to eBay, or tcg player, or if you're ok with 50% your local game store

Just sleeve it or something to keep it in top condition first.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
In that sort of condition, assuming it's real it might actually be worth slabbing it - though the lead times on that are going to be absurd and mailing it in is always going to be a risk, and it's probably not worth doing if it's going to land under a PSA 9

Failing that, yeah you're looking at TCG Player in NA or Cardmarket in the EU (wouldn't suggest eBay myself, too many scammers). You could also consider shipping it to a buylist. You're probably looking at somewhere in the $500-$2k range, from a quick Google this one is paying C$825 (~$650) so it's probably not worth going below that.

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 17, 2021

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib

LiterallyATomato posted:

Post front and back photos and we can probably give you a more accurate pricing quote. The card is clearly expensive though, could be low hundreds to thousands depending on the final grade.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh boy the tcg market's about to be shaken up again. PWCC was just taken down by Ebay for shill bidding. Here's the tweet I saw on a discord I'm in:

https://mobile.twitter.com/sportscardinv/status/1427685530351849475?s=21

Probably only super affects graded cards in the short term but makes you wonder how much the market got inflated by it.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Can I get some feedback on this deck?

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 20

* 1 Darkrai DAA 105
* 1 Galarian Moltres V CRE 97
* 2 Galarian Slowking V CRE 99
* 2 Koffing CRE 94
* 3 Venipede CRE 105
* 2 Galarian Weezing CRE 96
* 2 Weezing CRE 95
* 3 Whirlipede CRE 106
* 3 Scolipede CRE 107
* 1 Galarian Slowking VMAX CRE 100

##Trainer Cards - 20

* 3 Great Ball CPA 52
* 2 Boss's Orders RCL 154
* 4 Marnie PR-SW 121
* 2 Cynthia UPR 119
* 3 Cheren DEX 91
* 3 Potion KSS 37
* 3 Professor's Letter XY 123

##Energy - 20

* 20 Darkness Energy Energy 7

Total Cards - 60

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm on a 6 win streak but I'm sure I can tweak this. It's my first custom deck.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

:negative:

Of course TCGO would do this to me, the best I've gotten in real life is a rainbow Leafeon vmax and a gold Boost Shake, the rest aren't even worth digging the binder out for to show y'all. Perhaps this is a sign I should make a psychic deck instead of the grass one I'd planned on?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I got a Sylveon and an Umbreon from 15 packs, which I guess is pretty good. Might be finally time to create an Eternatus deck.

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.

Turbinosamente posted:

If you're talking about the first seven or so on this page they're in Japan's 25th anniversary set so they'll probably be in the western one as well. I think they're calling it Pokemon Celebrations here and I guess October 8th is the release day from what I'm seeing.

Ooh that's exciting, might have to visit the local card shop and change up from my usual yu-gi-oh and do more pokemon again (and probably just in general)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What's a good way to sell a few cards? I've found a few foil jungle cards (nothing super super rare?) that've basically sat in a binder page for decades.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

ilmucche posted:

What's a good way to sell a few cards? I've found a few foil jungle cards (nothing super super rare?) that've basically sat in a binder page for decades.

I'm FINALLY making an effort to respond to this thread I've had bookmarked for a while and would love to see them. Me and my kids have only a few vintage cards and it'd be a ton of fun to get some for them and their binder.

For others, my kids and I have been loving buying pokemon cards for the last few years and have enjoyed building up a good collection since. It was great to be able to snatch up all the clearance boxes a couple years back that nobody wanted and we've moved to booster boxes recently. Recent good pulls are the shiny Snorlax and the alt-art Rayquaza V from Evolving Skies.

How does the thread feel about trading cards? I have a bunch of doubles of decent cards and would rather trade than sell.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Talking about trading is fine here but for arranging actual trades I think a thread in SA-Mart would be more appropriate, like how the MTG thread does it. Also SA-Mart gets a lot more traffic than this thread so your chances of finding trading partners will be a lot higher.

How's everyone liking the new meta? I haven't made time to get into it yet but I plan to update the OP for Evolving Skies sometime in the near future.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
There is a buy/sell/trade thread in SAmart that needs more love:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961931&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Hopefully I didn't butcher the link too bad on mobile. As for the meta? I keep getting rolled by that inteleon deck everyone has, and I'm apparently not clever enough to make a dual type deck.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Oh fantastic, thanks folks, I'll post some stuff there. Happy to take some pics of the collection we've garnered so far as well. I managed to buy a ton of rainbow, gold and full art trainers over a year ago when they were like $6 or $7 a piece.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So I've got like decent condition dark gyarados and clefable, plus a sealed ancient mew? I guess they're worth something? I might just take them home with me and sit on them. It would be just cash going to feed my magic the gathering addiction...

Wish i could find my old decks, pretty sure I had a base set venusaur in there

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 10, 2021

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
*picks up last 3 pack at Target while running errands, first pack in*

oh, huh, ok

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Louisgod posted:

*picks up last 3 pack at Target while running errands, first pack in*

oh, huh, ok

Ooooo you lucky bastard, congrats! I guess I can't complain too much because I got my rainbow chonk from a target sleeved booster pack given to me by a friend. If I see any of the smaller 3 packs/blister packs/sleeves boosters for ES maybe I'll try again but that poo poo's been selling out super fast here. My booster boxes didn't really bring great hits and I hear the ETBs are kinda poo poo this time around too.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Turbinosamente posted:

Ooooo you lucky bastard, congrats! I guess I can't complain too much because I got my rainbow chonk from a target sleeved booster pack given to me by a friend. If I see any of the smaller 3 packs/blister packs/sleeves boosters for ES maybe I'll try again but that poo poo's been selling out super fast here. My booster boxes didn't really bring great hits and I hear the ETBs are kinda poo poo this time around too.

ETBs imo tend to be incredibly rough and these days I stick to the 3-packs, which have ALWAYS been kind to me, and booster boxes. My kids netted a shiny Charizard Vmax from a Shining Fates Pikachu box earlier this year, aaaand they managed to get all these from single packs..

I did manage to get a rainbow Umbreon Vmax the other day from an ETB, which was shocking.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Louisgod posted:

ETBs imo tend to be incredibly rough and these days I stick to the 3-packs, which have ALWAYS been kind to me, and booster boxes. My kids netted a shiny Charizard Vmax from a Shining Fates Pikachu box earlier this year, aaaand they managed to get all these from single packs..

I did manage to get a rainbow Umbreon Vmax the other day from an ETB, which was shocking.

Insane luck! I find that I do alright with the collection boxes, I did get the DA regular Charizard Vmax from an Orbeetle promo card box. Half the time I am picking them up because I like the featured shiny cardboard inside and they're at least a good variety of things to open. Champion's Path really put the kibosh on ETBs for me; it's a funky set in general but mine was underwhelming. 2 v cards and the only one I remember was venusaur maybe? I can't remember if I got the infamous holo Machamp even that's how interesting it was from a fun to open stand point.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone know of a buylist that takes Japanese Pokemon cards?

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I picked up one of those Eevee Shining Fates ETBs on vacation in Amsterdam this week and got a drat shiny VMAX Charizard. Immediately walked my rear end back to the store and bought a binder to keep it in. The dude told me they hadn’t had top-loaders in months.

I also picked up some Japanese packs there and now in France I picked up 8 booster packs. Nothing crazy in those packs.

Next stop Spain, I hope I can find some easily.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Anyone know of a buylist that takes Japanese Pokemon cards?

Kind of same question. Just found these and I have no idea where I got them

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

Kind of same question. Just found these and I have no idea where I got them

They kinda look like those vending machines that used to be everywhere. I remember one at a burger king.
I think they're fake. The box around the energy costs in the attacks makes me think so.
E: the foils at least.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

They kinda look like those vending machines that used to be everywhere. I remember one at a burger king.
I think they're fake. The box around the energy costs in the attacks makes me think so.
E: the foils at least.

Wouldn't be surprised if they were. I can't find anything about them.

Found a foil dark hitmonchan and some other foils that are cool though. Think I'll keep them for the nostalgia

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Give you 10 bucks for the slowbro and goldfuck

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

On that "found old Pokémon cards in the attic" train.

I believe these are the most valuable ones I have. Not sure if it's worth paying for PSA/CGC/Beckett grading or not.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Those are definitely nice (1st edition shadowless) but they're not worth sending to PSA for grading right now since I think express shipping is something obscene like $150/card and it still feels like people are riding the high that is the bubble of grading old WOTC cards thanks to Logan Paul and others. It feels like collectors are starting to slowly shift toward the more rarer sets (B&W, D&P), the gold stars, and maybe even the newer alt-arts as the next money makers.

I'd say if your intent with those cards is to grade and then sell, you'll be a drop in a seemingly oversaturated market and likely won't make much.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

lifenomad posted:

On that "found old Pokémon cards in the attic" train.

I believe these are the most valuable ones I have. Not sure if it's worth paying for PSA/CGC/Beckett grading or not.

So pokemon prices IMO are weird but I would imagine you're looking at about 100+ each for each of those rares. (They have a black star in the lower right corner. Uncommons are a diamond. Commons a circle.)
I also don't recommend grading any of it.

E: TCG player agrees with me, based on listings and sales.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

With all the stuff out there about grading I’d also skip it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

Thanks for the advice.

I'll most likely just put them back into their bag and let them age a bit longer.