Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...

HootTheOwl posted:

So I downloaded the TCGO client and I'm playing against the AI. Will I ever get to use my own deck against the AI or just the three theme decks for all eternity?
I'm worried about moving out of tutorial zone and getting stomped by Mega Ultra G max Jiggilypuff V or whatever the current hotness is

You can always test out your decks against the AI in the Deck Manager, but it will be against an AI deck from the Trainer Challenge, and you have to have all the cards for the deck you are testing.

In Versus (against other players), you can pick your Format: Theme (pre-built decks), Standard, Expanded (~10 years worth of cards, with some banned), or Legacy (anything goes).

Theme decks can be played against the AI in the Trainer Challenge, but also against other players. You can buy them from the shop, or use a code. I don't think they've released new theme decks in a while, so the games do get stale after a while. Both Charizard decks (Relentless Flame and Charizard Theme Deck) are pretty consistent if you are looking to start out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...
Here's the Sandaconda Big Sand Cannon list I've been running, based on this deck, but using what cards I have:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 12

* 3 Silicobra SSH 107
* 1 Silicobra BST 81
* 4 Sandaconda BST 82
* 4 Gossifleur SSH 20

##Trainer Cards - 21

* 4 Evolution Incense SSH 163
* 4 Ordinary Rod SSH 171
* 4 Energy Recycler BST 124
* 1 Misty's Favor UNM 202
* 1 Brock's Grit TEU 135
* 2 Level Ball AOR 76
* 4 Green's Exploration UNB 175
* 1 Rosa CEC 204

##Energy - 27

* 27 Fighting Energy SWSHEnergy 6

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online https://www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

It's easy to play, but it's very much you either got it, or you don't. Very vulnerable to hand disruption, like Reset Stamp or Marnie, but it's all worth it when you one-shot Arceus, Dialga, and Palkia on turn two.

Something I underestimated was how in-demand Rosa is, I got lucky and was able to get a trade for 3 Shining Fates packs, but now I see them going for 4 or so Chilling Reign packs.

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

Full art Marine for the Players Cup IV with code PC4YOURCHOICE:

Mmtheblue fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 18, 2021

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

Full-art Crobat V with code DARKASSETPC4 for the Players Cup IV finals, redeem by 8/9, 25k limit:

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

I'd say the power creep is real, but Arceus, Dialga, and Palkia GX was a thing, and I don't think I could handle having to remember all the combos in Expanded.

In other news, I've been having good luck with this Vikavolt deck (from AzulGG)

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 15

* 4 Vikavolt V DAA 60
* 4 Sobble SSH 55
* 4 Drizzile SSH 56
* 3 Inteleon CRE 43

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 1 Fan of Waves BST 127
* 3 Cape of Toughness DAA 160
* 4 Crushing Hammer EPO 92
* 2 Evolution Incense SSH 163
* 4 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 1 Team Yell Grunt SSH 184
* 1 Tool Scrapper RCL 168
* 1 Energy Search SSH 161
* 1 Raihan EVS 152
* 2 Boss's Orders SHF 58
* 3 Level Ball BST 129
* 1 Scoop Up Net RCL 165
* 3 Professor's Research SSH 178
* 4 Marnie SSH 169
* 3 Path to the Peak CRE 148
* 1 Switch SSH 183

##Energy - 10

* 3 Capture Energy RCL 171
* 4 Speed Lightning Energy RCL 173
* 3 Lightning Energy SWSHEnergy 4

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online https://www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I managed to get a 15 win streak with it, although a lot of them are from forfeits once I set up. Stopping opponents from using Item cards is crushing, especially if they don't get to set up their Stadiums/Tools, the Drizzile help with getting the cards you need at the right time, and Inteleon's Quick Shooting scores a lot of KOs (I've been trying to get the 12 KOs with electric Pokémon challenge, but Inteleon usually finishes them off). It was also pretty cheap to trade and get the cards I needed, compared to other V or Vmax decks.

I only run into issues when I don't get set up quickly (not getting enough Sobbles into play), not getting the Energy attachments per turn (only 1 Energy Search), or either flavor of Urshifu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey all, I used to play some MTG back in the 90's and 00's but know nothing about Pokemon, so I was hoping I could get some advice here. My SO saw a random Pokemon booster pack at a store and said she'd like to get some for her nephew, who is seven, but I told her there just has to be some cheap old starter decks that are not valuable to real players but would be fine for a kid to have fun with. Um, is that true? If so, can anyone recommend any? I absolutely don't at all need them to be tournament competitive or even legal, just any old starter decks that comprise a reasonably balanced playing experience. Maybe we could also buy a few booster packs and just dole those though to him over time?

I know my 9-year-old nephew was more into collecting the cards than playing the game (he got more excited for packs than a pre-made deck). Packs also give the thrill of potentially getting a Secret, Ultra-Rare, Full-Art, Ranbow-Holo card.

If they want to play the game, a good start could be a V Battle Deck set, which comes with two decks, and a couple fancy Pokemon-V cards. I can't speak to the quality of the decks, but they don't seem unbalanced (Vicitini looks like the "best" to me). Examples are: Venusaur vs Blastoise, Victini vs Gardevoir, or Rayquaza vs. Noivern. They also sell the decks individually.

They also used to have Theme decks, but stopped releasing new ones last year, with the V Battle Decks replacing them. They have a lot of basic cards, and they all have around the same power level. If you can find them, a good one is the Charizard Theme Deck (Charizard also very popular Pokemon itself), just if you're looking for balance, don't pair it with a Water, Grass, or Metal theme deck (due to the Rock-Paper-Scissors style weakness system).

The last one I feel worth mentioning are the League Battle Decks. Not gonna lie, these got some good cards. For example: the Inteleon VMAX League Battle Deck has two of the Inteleon line that many decks are running three to four of. The Zacian V League Battle Deck is about 70% of a popular meta deck last year. I wouldn't get these unless they are really into the TCG and want to play more competitively. Comedy option: Rapid-Strike Urshifu-VMAX vs Single-Strike Urshifu-VMAX League Battle Decks (both very meta cards with different playstyles).

With all that said, I feel like packs would be the way to go. If they're allowed to play the Online version of the game, that's a pretty nice introduction to how to play, and you can earn in-game currency for new decks and packs. They can also redeem codes from the physical packs to get extra packs in the Online version. Downside being that Pokemon TCG Online is gonna transition into Pokemon TCG Live in 2022.