Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MRLOLAST posted:

Any cool ideas on how to attract more users as mentees ?
We have plenty of great people wanting to pass on their knowledge and you can be both at the same time on the platform.

Tell us about those users. Who are mentees and where do they hang out? Also is this for any kind of mentoring or is a certain type focused on like career mentoring?

Also wanted to share this: http://www.paulgraham.com/growth.html

EDIT: Theres a lot of people who could use some good 1:1 time from people for career stuff in the resume and negotiation threads. Maybe see if people there will realize they need someone to tell them what to do to not gently caress up be a mentor for them.

EDIT2: Also some site feedback. Kudos on make a very clear call to action on the main page. Its clear what you want me to do is download this app. A thing I think you could improve: your home page has a lot of words. I bet you could get your main point across better by having fewer points and using way fewer words.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
You should really really really do YC's startup school program. I think it would massively increase the chance of success for products like this at the stage you're at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVJ9ovLxrKM

Honestly you're getting good advice so far IMO but it seems like the message behind the advice isn't really...getting there. Startup school would be a great thing to help focus on what's important to get going. And if you're successful with it, you can get into YC which will help your company have a cool $500k-$2M in the bank to get started with.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MRLOLAST posted:

We have considered Y-Combinator but at the moment we are still bootstrapping it. Wy sell equity when you don't need to and so far things are moving a long quite nicely. In total our investment is around 500 bucks and 6 months work on evenings and weekends. To be honest the main concern at the moment is perfecting the UI and getting the IOS version working after that. For extra funding I have entered us in to a few start-up competitions and applied for some grants and if one of those comes through everything will be great. Once it's working and is in use I see no problem of selling it as a software to companies.
I have spoken to several companies that have expressed their wishes to have a mentoring tool with AI matching. That is lightweight and can be easily adjusted for their needs. This does already exist though and there are HR applications that fulfill similar roles. We are not a consultancy that are starting mentor-ship programs for companies but I do for see them being a potential client of ours.
Our core idea is still to make mentoring affordable, equitable and accessible for anyone from anywhere. A platform where you can be both a Mentor and a Mentee. Any B2B stuff we get in to is just to keep the lights on.

You wont need to sell equity to do startup school. It’s a free mentorshipish program much like yours! YC is probably the most successful startup mentor ship program in the world by $ created and societal impact.

I took our startup through YC a few years ago and have watched many friends startups grow or fizzle. Two sided marketplaces like yours are extremely difficult to start. Probably one of the hardest to turn into a society impacting thing. As your prob know, LinkedIn actually tried a mentor/mentee thing and killed it off. Supply side is usually where you go to first and it seems like that is going well.

How about on the mentee side? What is your recurring usage KPI and how is that going from both sides?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 11, 2021