Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Spoilers for the latest episode of Law & Order: No Subtitle, McCoy's daughter is a bad daughter and bad lawyer to the point of potentially ineffective assistance of counsel. Doesn't she have a legal obligation to bring that offer at the end to the defendant or if he's far too loopy to decide for himself at least his wife? Her whole "I know what they are interested in" was gross, way to make the entire trial about you and not only try and lean on your daddy ( who has a massive legacy built of public service ) to break ethical code, but to get mad at him for turning you down. At least by the end she seemed to be crying because she realized she was in the wrong, was bad and should feel bad.

In fairness, Vanilla has spent years intimating that Jack McCoy is a terrible, terrible father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Me, watching this combo SVU/OC episode a day later:

-Benson gets shot and Stabler brought her to an urgent care?? God drat they over hyped that poo poo in all the previews.
-Why is all of NYPD SVU and OC in the middle of Ohio? Lol come on they have no loving jurisdiction.
-"So what do we do now professor?" She's worked at a college for like 6 months, is a profiling savant now, oh ok
-What's his face OC dude talking about his future plans on the Canadian train, he's about to get shot isn't he?
-Lol, yep
-They're air lifting the him from Ohio to New York?? God this is bad.
-Jet was in a relationship with the dude? I guess I missed that
-Muncy nooo I was just starting to like you
-Can't Benson and Stabler just kiss already :mad:

Those were certainly some season finales

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sirotan posted:

This is going to be the big B-plot to each and every episode of next season of SVU (and presumably OC), and it will be awful

https://i.imgur.com/AnhkQfp.mp4

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Arbite posted:

A bit silly that attempted murder of a police officer wasn't added to the charges. I half expected them to take that plea and then charge him with that after the money was recovered.

Young Jay Baumann was a distracting defendant but the actor did soulless eyes rather well.

I'm glad that I'm not only one that noticed that A.) that guy did look a lot like Jay Bauman, but that B.) the episode didn't end after the warehouse scene.

They mentioned he slipped his ankle monitor (which I'm sure carries some kind of punishment of jail time), and on top of shooting Cosgrove, he also took that woman hostage, which could count as both kidnapping, witness intimidation, and possibly attempted murder. It seems like if they couldn't get him indicted on the murder, everything else combined together would have meant an extremely long sentence in prison.

-

In general, I feel like I've come around with the new L&O, because this season feels a lot better than the last. Watching it with my family, my mom thinks that Connie Shi (playing Violet Yee, aka the lady who's always doing the tech stuff) doesn't get enough recognition. Also, none of really seem to like Price, and it sounds like a couple people here don't either.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Well. That's, uh, something.

quote:

Dick Wolf is expanding the world of Law & Order to Canada.

Citytv, which has aired a full docket of NBC’s Law & Order dramas over the years, has greenlit a local version of the investigative crime series, Law & Order Toronto: Criminal Intent, in partnership with Universal Television.

Based on the Law & Order global format, the 10-episode drama will follow an elite squad of detectives who investigate high-profile crime and corruption in Toronto. Law & Order Toronto will be produced by Lark Productions, a frequent NBC collaborator, and Amy Cameron’s production banner Cameron Pictures.

What a mouthful of a title.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It would be great if they filmed in Vancouver.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I can't wait to see how poorly they handle race issues in Canada

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Timby posted:

I'd overlooked the "criminal intent" part of the title at first and oh man it's probably gonna be a season-long arc about the Bruce McArthur case, isn't it?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

I'd overlooked the "criminal intent" part of the title at first and oh man it's probably gonna be a season-long arc about the Bruce McArthur case, isn't it?

Bruce McArthur doesn't read corruption to me. I think it's gonna be a season long arc about the Sherman murders.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Arivia posted:

Bruce McArthur doesn't read corruption to me. I think it's gonna be a season long arc about the Sherman murders.

Oh that's a good shout.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Timby posted:

A moose probably did it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

Oh that's a good shout.

You've just completely confused every American in here, hah.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

A moose probably did it

That or Gary Bettman.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

fartknocker posted:

That or Gary Bettman.

Good point, better arrest Bettman to be sure

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Me, watching this combo SVU/OC episode a day later:

-Benson gets shot and Stabler brought her to an urgent care?? God drat they over hyped that poo poo in all the previews.
-Why is all of NYPD SVU and OC in the middle of Ohio? Lol come on they have no loving jurisdiction.
-"So what do we do now professor?" She's worked at a college for like 6 months, is a profiling savant now, oh ok
-What's his face OC dude talking about his future plans on the Canadian train, he's about to get shot isn't he?
-Lol, yep
-They're air lifting the him from Ohio to New York?? God this is bad.
-Jet was in a relationship with the dude? I guess I missed that
-Muncy nooo I was just starting to like you

Those were certainly some season finales

I feel so bad about what they've done to Rollins. Like, she was never a super educated or expert investigator, making her into Will Graham after half a year and dressing her like some sort of Agent Elizabeth Holmes was uncomfortable. Especially considering her character was fine/good already.

Outside of the death, which was decently acted and made me sad, the finales kind of wiffed for me.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

making her into Will Graham
Especially since Will Graham is right there.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

My randomizer just gave me the gibbon in a basketball episode of SVU, and I had forgotten it had a scene of Stabler eating a tiger :smith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Citing "creative differences," Jeffrey Donovan will not be returning for season 23 of Vanilla.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Timby posted:

Citing "creative differences," Jeffrey Donovan will not be returning for season 23 of Vanilla.

That's a shame, I liked what they were doing with his character.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Well dang he was really starting to grow on me too.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I didn't watch much of New Classic besides the first couple episodes and he just seemed like a mean kinda racist prick in those, what've they been doing with him?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
They spent most of last season expanding his character. He had a teen daughter who factored into a few episodes, I think one or two episodes of an old friend being the bad guy, stuff like that.

I was enjoying him a lot more last season and was hoping he'd be the new lennie, so this sucks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
L&O (all three current series) return with new episodes on NBC January 18th.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

lol this owns

"Dean Norris Joins ‘Law & Order: Organized Crime’ As Stabler’s Brother"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

lol

I hate when it crosses over and makes me watch that poo poo.

Sucks about Donovan - wonder what it was. No more on foot chases every episode??

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

lol

I hate when it crosses over and makes me watch that poo poo.

Sucks about Donovan - wonder what it was. No more on foot chases every episode??

Actually his character was never actually a cop. He was faking his whole identity as part of an elaborate scheme to trick some drug dealers in Miami into selling some old lady her house back.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Watched the premiere for L/O. Was pretty good, if a little over the top with the message.

Although, at the beginning of the episode Tech person finds a camera showing the crazy guy grabbing the coat out of the garbage, but no one suggests going back to see who put the coat in the garbage?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm about halfway through the episode, but Lmao at how they wrote out Detective Burn Notice.

edit: hahaha, okay, well played show a complaint I have with modern L&O is that the prosecution wins too many ambiguous cases, and this time when, imo, it was fairly open and shut, they lose! Good job

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 19, 2024

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I'm pretty sure they were making fun of the constant foot chases in the new SVU with the fat goon who bought the sex doll going to run and the detectives just rolling their eyes because he was too pathetic to get anywhere.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

A good poster posted:

I'm pretty sure they were making fun of the constant foot chases in the new SVU with the fat goon who bought the sex doll going to run and the detectives just rolling their eyes because he was too pathetic to get anywhere.

Complete with Fin's "You've got to be kidding me."

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jack McCoy's final episode is on right now people.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The therapist's about face was some extreme narrative convenience, but aside from that it was an appropriate way for McCoy to go out, flipping the bird to the corrupt and powerful.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Interview with Waterston about leaving: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/sam-waterston-law-and-order-jack-mccoy-final-episode-1235832995/

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

howe_sam posted:

The therapist's about face was some extreme narrative convenience

The implication I got was that Kelton (man, between this and season 6 of Chicago PD, Rick Eid really has a thing for writing bad guys named Kelton) paid her off and she was just too chickenshit to admit it to Price and Maroun.

All in all, a pretty good farewell to Jack McCoy. He got to have one last ride in the driver's seat in the courtroom and he got to flip the bird to a corrupt government official one last time.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Oh man. He name dropped Jerry Orbach in that interview. Hit me right in the feels man.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

howe_sam posted:

The therapist's about face was some extreme narrative convenience, but aside from that it was an appropriate way for McCoy to go out, flipping the bird to the corrupt and powerful.

Yeah that was weird. How did her patients even know she would testify? Why wasn't she called out for caring more about losing customers than jailing a killer?

Usually when the culprit pays off a witness they flee the country to go on an unannounced vacation, so they can't be subpoena'd, which wasn't considered here for some reason. I don't know if the writing has changed or I'm just noticing more legal loopholes compared to 15 years ago. Also there should probably be a word for the evidence/testimony that never makes it to court but still has to exist to convince the audience beyond a reasonable doubt that they're convicting the right guy.

But yeah it was a good finish for McCoy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

je1 healthcare posted:

I don't know if the writing has changed or I'm just noticing more legal loopholes compared to 15 years ago.

Little from column A, little from column B. Outside of Dick Wolf (who basically just gives script notes nowadays), no one from the original Law & Order production or writing staff is involved in the revival--though Wolf attempted to recruit René Balcer, who turned him down in favor of sticking with the FBI shows--and the current executive producer / showrunner is Rick Eid, who also shepherded Chicago PD through some really batshit insane / stupid seasons.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

"How the hell do you go from being on the outs at ECorp to being mayor?"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Schiff never took the reins on a case during the show, did he?

Not a complaint, just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Schiff never took the reins on a case during the show, did he?

Not a complaint, just curious.

I was thinking about the fact I only ever remember him either in his office, or at a restaurant with some big shot he knew from way back, but who now was in the midst of crimes