Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Schiff never took the reins on a case during the show, did he?

Not a complaint, just curious.

No. Offhand, the only time I can remember that he ever spoke before a court at all was in Terminal, the last episode of season 7, when he briefly spoke to the state Supreme Court when IIRC Schiff was suing the governor for overruling him and seeking the death penalty in a case where Schiff didn’t think it qualified. That’s also the episode where Adam’s wife has a stroke and ends up in the hospital.

I don’t think Nora or Arthur did anything in front of any court during the show either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
The only other time I even think the DA was involved more than a talk in their office was Nora had to testify in 12.13 to the Bar committee about Serena

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I was thinking about the fact I only ever remember him either in his office, or at a restaurant with some big shot he knew from way back, but who now was in the midst of crimes

I was actually thinking did Branch ever appear even in court behind the ADAs?
I know Schiff and Nora were pretty frequently in the background. I don't ever recall Branch but it's been a while since I re-watched those seasons

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

fartknocker posted:

That’s also the episode where Adam’s wife has a stroke and ends up in the hospital.

And he takes her off life support at the end; she flatlines. Schiff lets out this muffled whimper and it's one of Steven Hill's most brilliant acting moments on the show.

Really, Hill has a ton of great lines in Terminal.

Jack: "There's a rumor you wrote a letter of resignation."

Adam: "I did. The premise being I'm getting too old for this nonsense. Had a nice line in there about making the justice system a political piñata."

Jack: "Had?"

Adam: "I tore it up. Some things are out of your hands. I've got to sit there and take it. Not this."

Jack: "What are you gonna do?"

Adam: "I'm gonna take the governor to court."

Digital Jedi posted:

I was actually thinking did Branch ever appear even in court behind the ADAs?
I know Schiff and Nora were pretty frequently in the background. I don't ever recall Branch but it's been a while since I re-watched those seasons

Branch never appeared in court. I think it was part of the effort to portray him as far more of a career politician than an attorney.

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 27, 2024

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I like how Stabler, right after getting fent'd, tastes the heroin foil.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

How does OC continue to be just so bad

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Watching Law & Order Toronto: Criminal Intent, and they're definitely going with the CI model of "the lead male detective is very eccentric" but the man... the man is very Canadian and it is cracking me up.

Also a sign it's Canadian, to me, a cynical American, it has about the happiest ending you could hope for

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It's no Jeff Goldblum, but what is? I liked the first ep of :doink: Toronto

Sirotan posted:

How does OC continue to be just so bad

Never mind OC, why is SVU so horrendous this season? Pull up Mariska :ohdear:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Oh poo poo I completely forgot about the Canadian L&O. Is it streaming anywhere?

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
I just remembered British L&O was a thing, but I couldn't get past 2 episodes due to those wigs.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sirotan posted:

Oh poo poo I completely forgot about the Canadian L&O. Is it streaming anywhere?

Not in the United States.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Timby posted:

Not in the United States.

This makes me sad. I want five hours of L&O once a week.

It also feels... stupid? I guess if it's local production companies then licensing gets messy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

It also feels... stupid? I guess if it's local production companies then licensing gets messy.

It's a Canadian TV production, NBC has right of first refusal regarding streaming / broadcast, but so far, no dice.

Timby fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 29, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This week's SVU had a more traditional goofy story, but they still portrayed it with a gravitas (well, they tried anyway) that the previous seasons didn't really have. Eh.

Canuck :doink: was OK again, guess I'll keep watching. The lead weirdo dude needs a vice.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Very odd for me seeing Ellen Adair in the guest cast of this week's vanilla because I mostly know her as a baseball weirdo.
https://twitter.com/ellen_adair/status/1726295292012879997

The episode itself was pretty good, there was even continuity callbacks!

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Jalen, Vanilla, and twitchy Will Graham have really grown on me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

This makes me sad. I want five hours of L&O once a week.

I hate bragging but I got to see it this weekend being in Canada and all, and it's pretty drat good. The detective pair are obviously patterned after Goren and Eames, but not exact copies, and the cases (I saw the first two episodes) remix Canadian/Toronto crimes without being straight reenactments. I can point at things and go "okay this is from this, this is from that" but none of the episodes are cleanly one real-life incident or another so there's spark and jump and play to keep you guessing.

I hope it comes south of the border for y'all, it'll be worth the watch when it does.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Toronto is alright - second episode especially was good but holy gently caress I cannot handle the male detectives accent - sounds like a hardcore newfie - which I suppose is fine but it's dialed up. Plus he's a genius on everything??

Also the show already loses a couple points by using a hard-T in Toronto. :lol: Every Canadian knows its "Torono"

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I guess Criminal Intent doesn't do trials, so there's no chance Ricky will show up as a defense attorney, right?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Tony Goldwyn is stepping in as the new DA. Looks like he had a role in CI but I'm assuming that was just a different character or something.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kingtheninja posted:

Tony Goldwyn is stepping in as the new DA. Looks like he had a role in CI but I'm assuming that was just a different character or something.

He'd have to be, his CI character is dead.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

If you need a dose of righteous McCoy

knox
Oct 28, 2004

How does the original Law & Order standup to SVU & Criminal Intent? Been watching Murder She Wrote and Jerry Orbach appearing in bunch of episodes + fact I've never seen it has be wanting to check out the original series.

grand theft otto
Nov 15, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Toronto is alright - second episode especially was good but holy gently caress I cannot handle the male detectives accent - sounds like a hardcore newfie - which I suppose is fine but it's dialed up. Plus he's a genius on everything??

Also the show already loses a couple points by using a hard-T in Toronto. :lol: Every Canadian knows its "Torono"

Everyone who lives here pronounces it like the capital of Albania. The lead guy sounds like he's from North Dakota or Minnesota or something, not a Newfie.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

knox posted:

How does the original Law & Order standup to SVU & Criminal Intent? Been watching Murder She Wrote and Jerry Orbach appearing in bunch of episodes + fact I've never seen it has be wanting to check out the original series.

Original L&O is the only version I watch, compared to the others it moves at a formulaic pace and doesn't concern itself with anyone's backstories or personal lives. Aside from the openings when someone stumbles on the body, virtually every scene is from the perspective the main detectives or prosecutors doing something to directly move the case forward. Plus one epilogue scene. There's no camera following around the victims or perps so we're left to rely on evidence and possibly biased testimonies to paint a mental picture of the crime (this changed with the current season where they now show the murder in the opening, which I dislike seeing)

There was one episode involving a subplot with Briscoe (Orbach) and his daughter, which apparently Dick Wolf disliked because "it wasn't that kind of show", but he felt he owed it to Orbach. The seasons with him are considered the peak, he injected humanity into a format that mostly discouraged it.

je1 healthcare fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 13, 2024

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

je1 healthcare posted:

There's no camera following around the victims or perps so we're left to rely on evidence and possibly biased testimonies to paint a mental picture of the crime (this changed with the current season where they now show the murder in the opening, which I dislike seeing)

Random New Yorkers stumbling over dead bodies was one of my favorite parts of the vanilla L&O formula and I'm so mad they ditched it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

knox posted:

Absolutely check that poo poo out. You get some great photography of old dirty Manhattan. Even before Orbach shows up, the show has a great cast. Michael Moriarty is great, Paul fuckin Sorvino is in it. The show still does some crazy stuff with the twists and whatnot, but it's way more sane than SVU or CI.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

knox posted:

To go off the others, IMO the peak seasons of the original L&O are the best stuff in the franchise.

Vanilla L&O is much more grounded of a show compared to the spin offs like SVU and has a different tone, particularly during it's best seasons. Like, to give an easy example, the cast of SVU racks up a much, much higher body count than the cast of the original show. Stabler and Benson are involved in a number of shootings, Cragen and Fin are in a few, and that's just during the earlier seasons of SVU. By comparison, you can count on one hand the number of times any of the cast of L&O during those initial 14 seasons are involved in anything remotely like that I think it's only 3 in that span: Greevey and Cerreta, plus Van Buren at the ATM. I know a jokein one of the older threads was how often something crazy happens in the SVU squad room, which I know has more than a few deaths and crazy moments, and that almost never happens in the original and the one time I can recall that it does, when an autistic kid bashes his own head into the wall and dies as Logan tries to stop him, everyone has a :stare: reaction cause that poo poo wasn't normal.

As has been mentioned, the original show focuses on the work lives of the characters, so you rarely get stuff about their personal lives or backstory unless it's directly related to something in the episode or in passing, with only a slight uptick on that during seasons 7-8 (But still much, much less than any season of SVU - You aren't getting anything remotely like Stabler's ever present family of early SVU, for example). Half the time, it just amounts to "Oh, this is some cop Briscoe knew back in the day when he was drinking, so there's a high chance they were/are corrupt" or a few lines here or there, rarely being the focus of an episode. Hell, two of the characters are in a romantic relationship for two seasons, but they are never shown being physical or anything like that, and if you're just watching the show as background viewing or aren't paying attention, or just miss out on a few lines scattered across those two seasons, you might miss it for the most part*, as opposed to basically every relationship in SVU.

Pretty much everything from the start through season 14 (When Jerry Orbach left) is fantastic. After that, there's a few more middling seasons, with 17 generally being considered the low point (I posted about that before ITT if you want more details), but then 18-20 had a cast that really clicked and was well liked. I really haven't kept up on the revival seasons.

But watching it just for Lennie Briscoe is reason enough.

* As someone who initially watched the show off and on in syndication mostly as background noise, it wasn't until years later I picked up the whole Kincaid-McCoy thing. Yeah, it comes up in McCoy's first episode, but after that it's mostly pretty subtle, just a few lines/moments and not invoked every episode, and it wasn't until sometime later where caught those seasons over a few days and fully grasped it

howe_sam posted:

Random New Yorkers stumbling over dead bodies was one of my favorite parts of the vanilla L&O formula and I'm so mad they ditched it.

:hmmyes: I always preferred this as well.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Absolutely check that poo poo out. You get some great photography of old dirty Manhattan. Even before Orbach shows up, the show has a great cast. Michael Moriarty is great, Paul fuckin Sorvino is in it. The show still does some crazy stuff with the twists and whatnot, but it's way more sane than SVU or CI.

Also a fuckton of "Oh poo poo, it's that later famous person!" in varying roles.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 13, 2024

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

fartknocker posted:

Also a fuckton of "Oh poo poo, it's that later famous person!" in varying roles.

It's so great!

I like CI just for D'Onofrio being a big weird teddy bear of a man, and I thought they did some decent mystery work in the early stuff at least, I don't have a 100% grasp on the later seasons

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I would say season 1-5 are the best for what CI started as. It was much more psychology based then street cop. And with the change of pace in the show with no court let the plots breathe and expand a bunch more.

I think the later seasons when it switched off what detectives were in each episode lost something.
Like, Chris Noth is still a great Logan but I don't think he ever really fit in CI. I don't hate it but eh. And they had like 3 other detectives that kept switching out with Logan iirc.

Now, the Goldblum s8-9 I loved cause I found him to be just chewing it up. I think he fit great with the background they gave him. And, played off Goren and Emes in some of the episodes great.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Lenny's intro scene is so fuckin awesome, especially since I started L&O with random episodes during his run.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

fartknocker posted:

To go off the others, IMO the peak seasons of the original L&O are the best stuff in the franchise.

Vanilla L&O is much more grounded of a show compared to the spin offs like SVU and has a different tone, particularly during it's best seasons. Like, to give an easy example, the cast of SVU racks up a much, much higher body count than the cast of the original show. Stabler and Benson are involved in a number of shootings, Cragen and Fin are in a few, and that's just during the earlier seasons of SVU. By comparison, you can count on one hand the number of times any of the cast of L&O during those initial 14 seasons are involved in anything remotely like that I think it's only 3 in that span: Greevey and Cerreta, plus Van Buren at the ATM. I know a jokein one of the older threads was how often something crazy happens in the SVU squad room, which I know has more than a few deaths and crazy moments, and that almost never happens in the original and the one time I can recall that it does, when an autistic kid bashes his own head into the wall and dies as Logan tries to stop him, everyone has a :stare: reaction cause that poo poo wasn't normal.

...Also a fuckton of "Oh poo poo, it's that later famous person!" in varying roles.

Speaking of "Oh poo poo, it's that later famous person!" The actor who played that autistic kid was Steve Burns, the original host of Blue's Clues. Caught an episode from season 19 today and Colman Domingo was the bartender in a gay bar.

Briscoe is absolutely the GOAT.

The revival seasons are fine? No one really has chemistry that sparkles with each other, but they're watchable enough.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Of this current season I've liked Original the most.

Organized Crime feels like it has no idea what the gently caress it wants to be, which with three showrunners is kinda unavoidable/undeniable. It's not bad and I like some of the characters, but none of this lately can be called organized crime. Just call it the Stabler show because that's what it is.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
In vanilla L&O the last line in every scene is someone announcing or telling someone what to do next. And then in the next scene in a new location they are doing and saying the thing they said they would do 5 seconds ago, before the doink-doink. It just keeps rolling to ensure they change locations every 2-5 minutes while constantly filling in anyone who just sat down. Also pretty much every ep is bookended first with a rando discovering the body, and ends with the prosecutors shutting the lights off as they leave the office for the night because they don't really exist outside that office.

It's also neatly segmented into two parts with equal time, the DAs rarely appear before the halfway point and the detective rarely appear after, making them feel like two different shows. The first half ends with the detectives cuffing the perp, cut to commercial, and they come back to start the second half with the ADA in arraignment court announcing the charges (which is for anyone just tuning in).

Aside from that, people joke that nobody in New York seems to want to stop loading crates or taking pizza orders to take 2 minutes to talk to the cops about a homicide on their block, which is actually just staging to keep actors in motion as they're delivering monologues otherwise the audience loses interest. Unless we're listing to a grieving parent, or we're in the final act and emotions are running high

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I meant to look into the cases (if any) that inspired Toronto: CI but the mayor just got busted on video smoking crack, so nvm for this week at least

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I meant to look into the cases (if any) that inspired Toronto: CI but the mayor just got busted on video smoking crack, so nvm for this week at least

Toronto Life is doing breakdowns and calling out the real life correspondences: https://torontolife.com/category/culture/

They have episode 2's opener figured out, which I'd forgotten about. I would NOT look at these if you don't want to be spoiled though, they go blow by blow on each plot beat to see how Torontonian it is.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Well poo poo bro, you just sold my wife on this show enough for us to get a VPN tomorrow. She's a big fan of the Rob Ford saga, even donated to the Crackstarter.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Arivia posted:

Toronto Life is doing breakdowns and calling out the real life correspondences: https://torontolife.com/category/culture/

They have episode 2's opener figured out, which I'd forgotten about. I would NOT look at these if you don't want to be spoiled though, they go blow by blow on each plot beat to see how Torontonian it is.

Thanks for this, this provides some helpful cultural context that I was missing. Also they are a little fussy in a way that just really reinforces my perception of urban Canadians

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
On the last vanilla L&O: The victim is the Gamestop shortseller guy even though it has nothing to do with anything, not even resulting in any false leads. It's there because it's a Current Event. He has to be wealthy but he can't be just another regular stockbroker with a fetish.

Also the writers learned about the meaning of findom while cribbing notes from the inevitable future episode about the Rust shooting. But it probably won't be about filming a western since the shooting has to take place on a set in NYC, so I predict it will be about a geezer teaser actor firing an old-fashioned model 27 while making a Dirty Harry knockoff

je1 healthcare fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 25, 2024

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I could see that, even let's them get sanctimonious about the way Hollywood treats cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
SVU renewed for season 26, original renewed for season 24 and the Chicago shows also get another season. Organized Crime remains on the bubble.