Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Just bring Elliott back to SVU, get it over with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Rappaport posted:

Just bring Elliott back to SVU, get it over with

can we work in a throwaway about him taking online courses to get his JD, and he's the new Jr ADA?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

can we work in a throwaway about him taking online courses to get his JD, and he's the new Jr ADA?

They could do what they did with Orbach's character in Trial By Jury when his health was declining, make him a special investigator for the DA's office. I am not sure I'd want him to come back to SVU with a lead role, honestly. I guess it would be fine as long as SVU doesn't also become The Stabler Show.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sirotan posted:

They could do what they did with Orbach's character in Trial By Jury when his health was declining, make him a special investigator for the DA's office. I am not sure I'd want him to come back to SVU with a lead role, honestly. I guess it would be fine as long as SVU doesn't also become The Stabler Show.

They've been hinting at Olivia 💕 Elliott for awhile now, it'd be the O&E L&O :doink:

L&O :doink: O&E? Well, we can workshop

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I've liked Stabler's family stuff but this show sucks. It's not even a Law & Order at this point.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I've liked Stabler's family stuff but this show sucks. It's not even a Law & Order at this point.

The fact that Organized Crime is on its seventh showrunner doesn't exactly help matters.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This week's Toronto was good, again. Our genius-detective still doesn't have a vice, per se, but flashy shoes is at least a step on the right path!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Vanilla continues the trend of glossing over things that would normally be absolute snake pit, in this case the wife confessing to her lawyer husband

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

howe_sam posted:

Vanilla continues the trend of glossing over things that would normally be absolute snake pit, in this case the wife confessing to her lawyer husband

That entire episode felt completely half-baked.

Edit: Weirdly, OC was the show this week that was actually good and kept my attention the whole way through, which hasn't happened, like, ever. But I guess it helps when you have guest stars like Stephen Lang chewing scenery left and right.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 19, 2024

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Suddenly, I'm interested in the Stabler brother drama.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Organized Crime moves to Peacock for season 5 and a 10-episode order, since NBC didn't want it any more.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
vincent d'onofrio is amazing actor, BBC America is reshowing Criminal Intent and it amazes how effortless it is for him.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mooseontheloose posted:

vincent d'onofrio is amazing actor, BBC America is reshowing Criminal Intent and it amazes how effortless it is for him.

I just finished a CI rewatch (last night!) and he is so great in the early seasons. He really gets to shine every time Goren is undercover, I especially love the episode where he's pretending to go door to door dropping off fliers while dressed like a homeless dude and just kind of manically dancing around. Later seasons there are times it feels like he's phoning it in a bit, especially during the whole "Goren is becoming unhinged because he learned his biological father was a serial killer" storyline, but that was an extremely lame period of the show. Wish they could have brought his character back even if just for one ep in the mothership somehow.

This reminds me that I really need to rewatch Men In Black.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Camryn Manheim's Lt. Kate Dixon is leaving at the end of Law & Order's current and 23rd season.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Arivia posted:

Toronto Life is doing breakdowns and calling out the real life correspondences: https://torontolife.com/category/culture/

They have episode 2's opener figured out, which I'd forgotten about. I would NOT look at these if you don't want to be spoiled though, they go blow by blow on each plot beat to see how Torontonian it is.

I think Toronto Life quit doing these. But L&OT:CI continues to be good, the hockey episode definitely made my blood boil appropriately

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I really enjoy the DA on vanilla.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
L&OT:CI: Hell of a monologue from Graff at the end of the episode, I hope it gets a second season

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I really enjoy the DA on vanilla.

Tony Goldwyn is probably the best actor they could have gotten to replace Sam Waterston. It took a little while to find Baxter's character, but he has a lot of "defense attorney turned DA" energy that Jamie Ross had.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

L&OT:CI: Hell of a monologue from Graff at the end of the episode, I hope it gets a second season

It's already been renewed!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I haven't watched older vanilla in a while, but these latest seasons are leaning really hard on the crutch of dismissing the damming evidence. I want to say it's almost every episode this season that it's happened, and I don't remember it being that much of a thing in the older seasons.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

I haven't watched older vanilla in a while, but these latest seasons are leaning really hard on the crutch of dismissing the damming evidence. I want to say it's almost every episode this season that it's happened, and I don't remember it being that much of a thing in the older seasons.

Vanilla sometimes hits a rut where the Order side is the same trick over and over again applied to the issue of the week. I forget exactly when, but there's a couple seasons in the original 20 where like 75% of cases are easily "I plead not guilty by reason of mental defect or insanity [because I have ripped from the headlines-itis]" and you can just see it coming every time.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

They have some good twists on it though, like the homeless schizo guy who's actually a talented lawyer and doesn't want to be medicated again.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Kingtheninja posted:

I guess the point of dismissed evidence is to have something to make it clear to the audience that they're legitimately guilty, because the ambiguity of whether or not they did the deed leaves viewers uncomfortable. The battle is usually over whether they're criminally responsible or if the system is abusing it's power

The last couple episodes have ended on real bummer notes though. Either because the perps are way too sympathetic, or because they get a win at grave expense of the witnesses

The part that bugged me most about the white nationalist terror cell episode wasn't that it ended with nothing getting accomplished. But that a witness could would mishear 'blood and soil' as 'dirty blood'. They don't even sound similar! They're synonyms not homonyms

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Finally finish the last ep of OC last night and was really hoping they were gonna wrap up the storyline with Stabler's younger brother but welp

I'll probably keep watching once it moves to Peacock because I am a Law & Order junkie but it really just isn't very good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sirotan posted:

Finally finish the last ep of OC last night and was really hoping they were gonna wrap up the storyline with Stabler's younger brother but welp

I'll probably keep watching once it moves to Peacock because I am a Law & Order junkie but it really just isn't very good.

Did they ever do anything with the previous season's finale, where the last scene was Stabler hallucinating a vision of his dead wife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Timby posted:

Did they ever do anything with the previous season's finale, where the last scene was Stabler hallucinating a vision of his dead wife?

I managed to completely forget about that so I guess no? This season's finale bookends with him talking to his dead wife's headstone, I'm pretty sure they didn't mention her all season long until that point.