Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'd sign up for the paid version of Peacock in a heartbeat if they had all of the original Law and Order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MJeff posted:

No idea. Probably some complicated rights, syndication related thing. Hopefully Peacock gets them eventually.

Anyway, I dunno if you guys have heard, but, some guy named Stoobler is back tonight and it's starting now.

He shows up in the very first scene. They wasted no time at all.

edit: I don't know who any of these law and order people are. I haven't watched SVU since Stabler left with the exception of the SVU episode that had Ben Stones funeral.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MJeff posted:

That got kinda good in the last 10 minutes.

Yeah it had a rough start but it’s not bad. So I guess this is going to have a season long story arc?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oh yeah that reminds me. WHy the gently caress is Homicide not streaming anywhere. What the gently caress. If you’re gonna launch your own service to stream all your own poo poo, then loving stream all your poo poo. As far as I can tell, it’s owned by NBC/Universal all the way.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

What’s Angie Harmon up to these days :allears:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Bring Stone back from the dead. Do it Dick Wolf, you coward.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oh yeah he's like totally batshit crazy. He makes Qanon look like sane rational people.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Coxswain Balls posted:

Whenever an episode comes up with a seconds counter on the location cards I get pumped because it's gonna be something like trying to find a kidnapped child or a murderer on the loose. I like how they do it sparingly enough that it's exciting when it happens.

This one starts up and it turns out the time pressure is "they need to find the spree killer before opening tipoff at tonight's Knicks game because Lennie has some sweet courtside tickets". This show is awesome.

That just reminded me. They better not do some bullshit where one of the cops in the reboot is Lennie's long lost son we never knew about.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

First, it's really weird they cast Merkerson in a different role in the L&O world after having played Anita for years and years.

If I had to guess, I'd say Carey Lowell? McCoy and Ross were friends.

Either that or zombie Claire Kincaid.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

howe_sam posted:

My guess would be Olivet or the medical examiner.

But zombie Claire Kincaid would certainly be a choice.

Does Olivet or Rodgers (the ME) show up in SVU, OC, or any of those other L&O universe shows? I don't watch them.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 10, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Angie Harmon as Abbie would be good. Her and Waterston had fun chemistry together.

I thought about her but she's probably back in Texas working for Governor Abbot or the RNC on some anti-vax poo poo or making voting more difficult for minorities.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 11, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I don't know about SVU or the other shows, but vanilla was originally shot in both LA and NYC. Exteriors were all shot on location in NYC and the interiors were in LA. That's what they meant in the video when they talked about the original sets being built in LA. This made the show somewhat more expensive to make because they'd have to fly the relevant cast and crew back and forth for filming.

I'm guessing at this point in time it's cheaper to build the sets in LA and ship them to NYC and film it all there.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Arivia posted:

Do you have a source for this? Everything I've ever heard was that L&O was shot completely in NYC, which was very unusual at the time (and still kind of is). I remember when season 20 was winding up there was an article in the NYT talking about wrapping up the sets, but I might be wrong.

I have tried some quick google searching and I can't find anything so I could be wrong. It would have to be some sort of false memory because I swear to god I read that a few times in poo poo like TV guide. I even recall that being a thing when Law and Order Los Angeles was in the works. The thinking was that it would be a cheaper show because they wouldn't have to fly back and forth anything to film it.

If that's not correct, I'm sorry.

edit: I'm sure someone like Timby will come in tell us everything we ever wanted to know about the production of Law and Order.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Timby posted:

Prior to Los Angeles' short-lived run, every Law & Order show was / has been filmed on-location in New York City, and the standing sets like the squad room and the courtroom were also in New York. (This is why the Hollywood three-parter in Season 7 was such a huge deal; it was, "Holy poo poo! Law & Order is traveling!" It was a ratings blockbuster at the time so NBC told Dick Wolf & Co. they could spend the money.) Post-production of Vanilla was also primarily based in New York.

This is why basically every working stage actor off-Broadway has been seen on one of the Law & Order shows, often multiple times in different roles. (I've mentioned Michael O'Keefe, Denis O'Hare and Bruce MacVittie; Tom Riis Farrell, Jack Gilpin, Bruce Altman and Nick Chinlund come to mind, too.)

Edit:

A lot of the core writing staff and senior producers had their priorities focused on SVU and Criminal Intent during the last few seasons of Vanilla.

And, yeah, agreed about SVU. I still can't buy Carisi as the ADA (and it feels like the writers can't, either, since half the time he's still acting as a cop, just without the badge).

Thanks dude. Sorry about my stupid fuckin brain.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

howe_sam posted:

That was why Dzundza left, I guess he was also under the impression that he was going to be the star of the show, not a member of an ensemble.

His character was fine but the angry conservative catholic thing did get tiring. It did at least provide some conflict with Logan. Sorvino was a great replacement. I definitely missed him when he left the show.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The thread title should have a good Lennie zinger. It's what he would have wanted.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Timby posted:

The first real crossover with Homicide (Chris Noth had a brief cameo in a season 3 episode of Homicide, but Charm City was the first time the shows really crossed over).

I just watched this episode and I totally forgot the prisoner Chris Noth is transporting is played by John Waters.

Also, tonight's the night. I hope it doesn't suck.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

One of the later seasons of Original had a follow up episode where one of the early season convicts actually completed his sentence and they brought back the actors for it.

1x9 Indifference
15x11 Fixed

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

WHY THE gently caress DID THEY USE ANOTHER VERSION OF THE THEME SONG

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

howe_sam posted:

They changed the opening :mad:

and that :(

Ahh a Ross cameo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Timby posted:

New theme sucks.

Edit: Also, I'm not loving them painting Donovan's character as an "anti-PC," veiled racist.

Other than that it still feels like Law and Order. A lot of the same types of shots and camera angles for the most part. Granted, I haven't watched any Law and Order since CI finished.

edit: Ross is an ADA again? Was this in one of the other spin-offs? Last time I saw her she was a judge.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

TheSwizzler posted:

Not airing on my side of the continent yet but how's that dynamic they usually got one detective who's chill and one who wants to murder everyone, and Anthony Anderson was the murdery one when last we left things.

He's matured for sure. It's Det. Burn Notice who is the one who is mad because things ain't what they used to be.

I'm not really feeling the new lieutenant. No real personality so far.

edit: And at exactly 8:30 we switch to the courtroom half.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oasx posted:

I have no relation to the main Law and Order show, I don’t even remember anything about it other than the title theme, but the first episode felt like such a cliche that it was almost a parody, and I only made it 20 minutes into the first episode.

I'll preface this by saying this was definitely not a great episode by Law and Order standards.

That said, L&O basically invented the modern procedural TV show including the cliches so it comes with the territory. Also, you only watched the cop half of the show, which was definitely the weakest. The court poo poo was much better.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Timby posted:

Yeah, that was a much better episode. There are still some rough edges--notably Camryn Manheim, who is just a complete and utter black hole of charisma--but at least Sam Waterston didn't look like a meat puppet and Detective Burn Notice was a lot more tolerable.

Definite improvement.

Cragen and Van Buren had very strong personalities and an actual presence. You would look forward to their scenes. This current lieutenant adds nothing to the show. If the show gets picked up for another season they better figure that poo poo out or find someone else.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 4, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That's not a bad podcast for the show. I don't listen to it often though. Sometimes it feels like I'm listening to an NPR show. However, the sound drop they use for Profaci is loving perfect.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I feel like the logic of Law & Order, the uber-procedural following public servants mundanely solving homicides, doesn't work so well when every single case involves a celebrity, has an insane amount of media attention, and would take a gazillion years to prosecute.

Can't they just do some episodes where a regular guy kills his wife or something?

That does happens sometimes. The location of the precinct (I assume this was by design) means a lot of the victims and perps are gonna be rich fucks.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

We all love and miss Lenny.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I always liked him in L&O. He wasn't constantly angry like Greevy and he played off Cragen and Logan pretty well.

https://twitter.com/keatonkildebell/status/1551636487221006336?s=21&t=xzO0gyfK0bmaF84Vb58x2w

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 25, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I love Michael Moriarty’s acting. He’s a in a ton of Larry Cohen movies (they’re buddies) that are worth checking out.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Also all these earlier seasons aren't on Peacock which is kind of another reason I ws extra motivated to find and re-watch them. All of CI is on there though and I might re-watch some of them. Goren and Eames wee great thanks to their actors.

I know that one goon will come in and give all sorts of details on this, but yeah what's the deal with Peacock not having every season of vanilla. They need to fuckin pay whoever they need to for that to happen.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oh man. He name dropped Jerry Orbach in that interview. Hit me right in the feels man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

knox posted:

How does the original Law & Order standup to SVU & Criminal Intent? Been watching Murder She Wrote and Jerry Orbach appearing in bunch of episodes + fact I've never seen it has be wanting to check out the original series.

Absolutely check that poo poo out. You get some great photography of old dirty Manhattan. Even before Orbach shows up, the show has a great cast. Michael Moriarty is great, Paul fuckin Sorvino is in it. The show still does some crazy stuff with the twists and whatnot, but it's way more sane than SVU or CI.