Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In your line up of L&O shows you forgot Conviction which didn't have the Law & Order name but was a spin off of SVU starring Stephanie March's Alexandra Cabot. It only ran for 1 season of 13 episodes in 2009 and was focused on younger ADAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MJeff posted:

Ion TV does big blocks of syndicated shows each day and on Saturdays it does SVU and it's just so easy to have it on in the background and watch episode after episode. They used to do classic, too, but they replaced it with Blue Bloods, which is so much worse of a show that it makes me angry.

I don't know if it still does but WGN used to run original L&O but the version they aired was severely edited. Anything remotely sexual got blurred out, which ended up with a hilarious moment where the cops showed up to arrest a guy in his underwear and they blurred the front of the underwear out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MJeff posted:

Jack McCoy once reference The Third Man in a cross-examination like 15 years ago!

The subject of that episode?

Fake vaccinations. :v:

Yeah, that was a good episode. Although nothing beats Jack just dumping a box of bullets onto a table to show how many more bullets a modified full auto gun could fire.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The goofiest actor return was Jeremy Sisto doing a guest spot in a season finale and then joining the cast as a completely different character in the next season opener.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

My mom keeps telling me that I should check out the OG Law & Order, and I guess at some point I will. I am so lazy though. :effort:

Vanilla Law & Order is very good but also very different from the various spin offs. The biggest difference is a heavier focus on the case while being light on the character drama.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The interesting thing about the show running so long was that you could watch NYC change over time. Like the first couple of seasons are still mired in the days where the city was seen as overrun with crime.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fontana always felt like a character from a completely different show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HOLY gently caress posted:

I first saw him as Penguin in Gotham and he loving nailed it and became the best character in the entire show:

He hits just the right combination of pathetic and deranged, it's great.

He was also in the SVU episode "Traumatic Wounds" where a girl gets raped at a concert and he's one of the skeezy band dude suspects:

He was also a terrifying drug dealer on season 1 of Kevin Can gently caress Himself.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

First, it's really weird they cast Merkerson in a different role in the L&O world after having played Anita for years and years.

If I had to guess, I'd say Carey Lowell? McCoy and Ross were friends.

Either that or zombie Claire Kincaid.

Angie Harmon as Abbie would be good. Her and Waterston had fun chemistry together.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

It's been years since I have revisited that era of Law and Order but I also think the writing cracks finally ripped apart that season too. I remember the Dennis Farina years being ok despite a decent cast but I remember the format wearing a bit thin and quite frankly probably too influenced by SVU. season 18 - 20 was more true to form, maybe a bit simplistic and not as blatant ripped from the headlines.

The stuff with Dennis Farina was weird because his entire thing was basically "crooked cop" but they never really went into it.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Even though the writing wasn't as good as in its prime I wish we had more time with Cutter and McCoy. They played so well together, especially because McCoy was around long enough that you could see how he's all "Jesus Christ, is this what Schiff had to put up with".

Cutter was fun because it was basically the writers going "Hey, remember firebrand Jack McCoy? What if we just do that again with a new character?"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arivia posted:

Do you have a source for this? Everything I've ever heard was that L&O was shot completely in NYC, which was very unusual at the time (and still kind of is). I remember when season 20 was winding up there was an article in the NYT talking about wrapping up the sets, but I might be wrong.

I think they may be misremembering what was going on during Criminal Intent where Courtney B Vance was living in LA while filming CI and so he would fly across the country every week to do his scenes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of the later seasons of Original had a follow up episode where one of the early season convicts actually completed his sentence and they brought back the actors for it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of surprised the jury went with guilty but I guess they wanted to start the season off with a win.

Timby posted:

:lol: Ross went back to a low-paying ADA job after going back to private practice and then being a judge?

It was weird because she didn't need to be a DA again to do that plot point.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It really felt like they were trying to thread the needle with Det Burnnotice. He was conservative but they made sure to point out that he wasn't racist or a thin blue line chud.

In that vein wasn't a huge fan of Jack being upset about the defund the police movement. C'mon Jack, you should know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

fartknocker posted:

Given that SVU had his funeral like 4 years ago, that’d be tricky.

Jamie Ross was a judge. They don't seem to care that much for continuity.