Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, only ~5000 AIM-54s (encompassing A and C models) were ever produced. Tomcats usually only carried two, and during the Tomcat's heyday carriers had to pack munitions for *way* more airframes on board. It'd surprise me if no more than 50 Phoenixes made it on board each carrier for every cruise with an option for more delivered by VERTREP if needed.

Now I wonder how many missiles I fired in all the Ace Combat games back on the PS2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I had enough kills with the f14 to get ghost and pacman kill indicators on the f14 in aczero so...yeah

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I played a shitload of the F-14 in Project Wingman mostly because “go stupid fast, disengage, reengage and fire from far away” was a viable tactic.

Project Wingman kinda owns, mostly due to letting you have more than one type of special weapon. Or if you commit to one (like lots of phoenix rather than phoenix/sparrow mix), more multi launch available between cooldowns.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

How does it play with gamepads? I would ask in the ac7 thread but apparently im a stick in the mud there because of how they made ac7 even more anime and way easier than even 6 was and amped up the performance on everything so that everything turns on a dime

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Midjack posted:

That few? Now I really feel guilty for flinging missiles all over the sky in After Burner.

Yeah, then realize they had to be split between coasts as well as (probably) distributed to forward supply depots like Yokohama, Diego Garcia, Sigonella, and Rota as well.

Seems like it might've been a bit more than 5000, but that includes the ones that found their way to Iran before we nixed that: https://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-54.html

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 30, 2021

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Stravag posted:

How does it play with gamepads? I would ask in the ac7 thread but apparently im a stick in the mud there because of how they made ac7 even more anime and way easier than even 6 was and amped up the performance on everything so that everything turns on a dime

AC4 was fantastic. AC7 looked good but got boring. It shouldn't be so easy to win dogfights against F22s with an A10.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Stravag posted:

I played it all on a USB Xbox gamepad and thought it worked great.

It is not a hard game, but the planes do fly much more differently from one another than in AC. Slow planes are legit slow. Some planes don’t turn worth a poo poo. You will not catch or run away from certain enemies. The beefy guns are loving wild. Like you’re firing auto-howitzers wild. That said, the AI will still let you clown them in a SU-25 while they’re in F-15s.

I thought maybe the whole game was just sluggish until I got the F-18 and promptly flew up my own rear end and into the dirt.

Project wingman tip: the anti-ship missiles work against airships.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Oh cool that sounds like a return to acz era. I really liked how playing in a mig29 or f22 ot fishbed felt vastly different

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jimswiftdc/status/1388193725076185095?s=21

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Got my second Fauci Ouchie and now my tv makes those static sounds like when your cellphone rings whenever I walk near it.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

boop the snoot posted:

Got my second Fauci Ouchie and now my tv makes those static sounds like when your cellphone rings whenever I walk near it.

My second Moderna shot got me to 100 degrees (Wednesday night), so I took tylenol for about a day. Most of yesterday I just felt incorrect, like my poo poo was on backwards. It's very difficult to "listen to your body, it will tell you what it needs" when it's like I'M COLD nope lol hot TIRED NOW lol you went to the couch when you're wide awake gently caress you. Also when your body is sending you those 5G signals which are kind of hard to translate.

... then I woke up completely fine. 12 hour time-delay to about 18 hours of ick and that's that.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

I’d be more worried if we were all in Silent Hill.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stravag posted:

It controls fine on a gamepad but the setup was weirdly hard. The button binding menu made zero sense to me but I got it working eventually.

I was doing it in VR so maybe the menu looks/acts weird in that.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Ah, yeah. I cannot remember what I changed, but the default settings were dumb as poo poo. Something like throttle was all on one side and rudder all on the other rather than triggers for gas/brake and bumpers for rudder.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/LethalityJane/status/1388202401291673605?s=20

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Tomorrow's the TX-06 jungle runoff (top 2 of any party advance), for the seat of the Republican dude that died of COVID. His wife/widow is running on the Republican side and uh:

https://twitter.com/MattlangstonTX/status/1388196977175891968

:stare:

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Wow, those bastards hired one of the adults from the Peanuts to read their wicked lies. Despicable.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 30, 2021

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Godholio posted:

^That's a good point. I'll start looking into things now.

Well, that's a thread I didn't know about, thanks!

I want to look at everything, and Las Vegas is just hazy and bright.

I feel you, but you'd be surprised what's possible (even just with visual).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4AGAXEVd4zWiHtEw7 is most of my astrophotography, almost all done here in MD except for some Milky Way stuff shot out in Colorado (where it was just amazing).

Platystemon's advice about starting with binocs is good too. That is the usual recommendation for a starting point so you don't go blow hundreds of dollars on a scope. Or, you can step up into a 8" Dobsonian, they're easy to use and fairly cheap. It's really only when you get into the high-fidelity tracking and photography aspects that things get stupid expensive.

Crab Dad posted:

Ever make it to one of the open nights for the telescope at the USNO?
I didn't know they did open nights - I remember thinking once it would be a cool place to visit, and I do have a CAC... just don't know anyone there. Maybe I should find some PNT related work.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

arcadey combat flight sims peaked in 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-FxDc-mxU4

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

hannibal posted:

I feel you, but you'd be surprised what's possible (even just with visual).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4AGAXEVd4zWiHtEw7 is most of my astrophotography, almost all done here in MD except for some Milky Way stuff shot out in Colorado (where it was just amazing).

Platystemon's advice about starting with binocs is good too. That is the usual recommendation for a starting point so you don't go blow hundreds of dollars on a scope. Or, you can step up into a 8" Dobsonian, they're easy to use and fairly cheap. It's really only when you get into the high-fidelity tracking and photography aspects that things get stupid expensive.

I didn't know they did open nights - I remember thinking once it would be a cool place to visit, and I do have a CAC... just don't know anyone there. Maybe I should find some PNT related work.

Uh yeah if you are mil you can just go in and ask for a tour of the mini museum and see the historical library. The rare book collection is small but stunning. Monday through Friday there’s usually a sailor raising the flag and he can point you to the library and displays. Library may not open right away but the schedule will be posted on the door. The historian there will most likely know the dates for the future open house nights.

For you Pensacola weenies don’t forget that Corry Station has a small but nice crypto musuem including a Japanese to German enigma machine. It’s behind the OIC office you gotta ask for the key from the front desk.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

facialimpediment posted:

Tomorrow's the TX-06 jungle runoff (top 2 of any party advance), for the seat of the Republican dude that died of COVID. His wife/widow is running on the Republican side and uh:

https://twitter.com/MattlangstonTX/status/1388196977175891968

:stare:

wtfffffffffffffffffff

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
To be clear, I don't give a single gently caress about her or the race, as Democrats are highly likely to gently caress it up and lock themselves out. It's a R+4 seat, top 2 advance, and Democrats are running three candidates - one strong and two siphoning off enough votes to probably make the top two Republicans. But I always wonder what the robocall reader thinks when they're handed a script basically saying SUSAN WRIGHT MURDERED HER HUSBAND TO TAKE HIS CONGRESSIONAL SEAT.

Also, Gaetz did an interview.

https://twitter.com/mathewi/status/1388183633035513860

quote:

CJR: You obviously have your own role in this story now. There have been headlines about you being confused with Matt Gaetz.

MG: It’s pretty weird, I have to say. I’m used to a certain level of dystopia around media coverage of stuff that I do. My biggest focus of the last several years was just being the guy who deciphers Donald Trump’s tweets and figures out which Fox News segment he is responding to. So I’m used to getting talked about around some weird stuff. But the way my Twitter mentions tend to dissolve into anarchy whenever Matt Gaetz does something particularly outlandish does seem very interesting to a lot of people. It’s unusual to have members of your family say that they’ve read about your Twitter mentions in the New York Times. That’s odd.

What I like about it is that I’ve tried to make my own response to it fairly light. I’ve tried to make it a joke that people on Twitter can share together. And people who are in on the joke are quite kind about it. They are quick to tell other people that they see in my mentions that they have got the wrong guy. And they do so very politely, as I have asked them to do. It becomes a sort of shared Twitter experience that is more positive than, I think, the typical level of bile that one sees on that particular website.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

arcadey combat flight sims peaked in 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-FxDc-mxU4

You clearly never played Strike Commander. I know it's fun to poo poo on Chris Roberts now, but (the CD release version of) Strike Commander was fun.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 30, 2021

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Two important notices:

1. We have a game thread, it’s pretty cool, talk about games there.

2. The only 90’s aviation games worth talking about are CYAC and A-10 Attack!

Thank you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Gonna start my own VFW, with blackjack and hookers and weed.

Veterans For Weed

I’m sure someone has already taken that name.

Well at least it’s less gross than UPS thanking the cops for shooting their innocent driver dead.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
The first of the lawsuit against 3M over defective earplugs have reached a jury verdict.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/3m-loses-first-trial-over-military-earplugs-11619809398

quote:

3M Co. lost the first lawsuit to go to trial over the safety of earplugs it sold for years to the military, with a federal jury Friday awarding $7.1 million to three veterans and finding the company failed to warn about defects in the product.

Fingers crossed that those of us who are also suing 3M get nice settlements.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Is that ALL 3m earplugs or just a specific type?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

A specific type they sold to the military. Yellow on one side to block impulse sounds but allow conversation, green side for blocking everything.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So 5 years ago in rural southern Ohio, 8 members of the an extended family living in 4 different homes were all executed while they slept in the middle of the night. Several small children were left alive. I remember reading all kinds of insane rumors online, people were thinking was a Mexican cartel hit squad because the family might have had a marijuana grow on their property (????).

The tldr is police say that Jake Wagner, the father of one of the children, his parents and brother orchestrated the killings so Jake could get custody of the child (!!!). The family moved to Alaska for a time then moved back and were arrested in 2018. They've all plead not guilty.

A couple of days ago Jake Wagner plead guilty (and will testify against his parents and brother) in order to get life without parole in order to avoid the death penalty. He said he personally carried out 5 of the 8 murders. The whole thing is insane.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/state/2021/04/22/jake-wagner-rhoden-family-homicides-pike-county-ohio-pleads-guilty/7333052002/

Basticle fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 30, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

McNally posted:

A specific type they sold to the military. Yellow on one side to block impulse sounds but allow conversation, green side for blocking everything.

Yellow/green or yellow/black. I had a bag full of those drat things, but still used squeezies.

I still have tinnitus.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Crab Dad posted:

Uh yeah if you are mil you can just go in and ask for a tour of the mini museum and see the historical library. The rare book collection is small but stunning. Monday through Friday there’s usually a sailor raising the flag and he can point you to the library and displays. Library may not open right away but the schedule will be posted on the door. The historian there will most likely know the dates for the future open house nights.

For you Pensacola weenies don’t forget that Corry Station has a small but nice crypto musuem including a Japanese to German enigma machine. It’s behind the OIC office you gotta ask for the key from the front desk.

If you live in the DC area and are into cryptography, the NSA has the National Cryptography Museum beside its HQ in Linthicum, MD. Looks like the museum is closed for renovations, but it's cool to visit, hopefully it'll reopen soon.

https://www.nsa.gov/about/cryptologic-heritage/museum/

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

How bad is your hearing? I've been avoiding dates at noisy bars/restaurants even in normal times to avoid saying what too much.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I'm pretty sure that Greenberg was already planning on selling Roger Stone to the feds when things went south and is now publicly loving him with these text messages. That's definitely Conspiracy to Commit Obstruction of Justice when you're offering and accepting a bribe to facilitate a pardon for underage sex traffickers. Maybe the feds have had Greenberg in their pocket for awhile and Gaetz knew, and the feds really want Roger Stone back in prison because he's got the goods on Trump.

Sergg fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 1, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

If you live in the DC area and are into cryptography, the NSA has the National Cryptography Museum beside its HQ in Linthicum, MD. Looks like the museum is closed for renovations, but it's cool to visit, hopefully it'll reopen soon.

https://www.nsa.gov/about/cryptologic-heritage/museum/

The National Electronics Museum isn't far away from the Crypto museum but unfortunately it's closed as well.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

FrozenVent posted:

Two important notices:

1. We have a game thread, it’s pretty cool, talk about games there.

2. The only 90’s aviation games worth talking about are CYAC and A-10 Attack!

Thank you.

This derail is okay, it's not getting in the way of anything.

Also your lack of Red Baron, Aces of the Pacific, or Aces Over Europe is noted and will be reflected in your next performance review.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

It would be hilarious if Greenberg has been working with the feds since he got caught, just a complete remorseless sociopath walking up to other important people in that social circle going "Hello I am a huge criminal, would you like to help crime with me?"

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Sergg posted:

It would be hilarious if Greenberg has been working with the feds since he got caught, just a complete remorseless sociopath walking up to other important people in that social circle going "Hello I am a huge criminal, would you like to help crime with me?"

If this is what goes down, I owe 2021 a fist bump and beer.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Please get tucker, please get tucker, please get tucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

McNally posted:

This derail is okay, it's not getting in the way of anything.

Also your lack of Red Baron, Aces of the Pacific, or Aces Over Europe is noted and will be reflected in your next performance review.

where does rogue squadron fit in