Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Fun stuff on Ukraine's border

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1377432142867664899?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Whats less popular than an invasion? If you answered your people dying of thirst, correct.

Your people in the country you annexed, sure.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

boop the snoot posted:

I just saw a WSJ article that said “water is the new oil in space” and that’s all I need to confirm we will be fighting full blown wars over water soon.

Yeah, not making me hopeful. If I recall correctly Hershey's CEO said something like that too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Abongination posted:

He'll be making 6 figgies on newsmax soon.

We're almost totally reliant on the dominion lawsuits to censor these outlets, there is apparently no other way to shut down a "news" company that is straight up indoctrination and a danger to the state.

I don't think Newsmax wants to touch him with a 50 foot pole, he was already a legal liability before this, and he's only getting worse

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

orange juche posted:

Georgia can hold more fire I think

And Kemp was such a Trumper, he's just going to moan about cancel culture.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

God loving drat it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wins32767 posted:

Having built and shipped applications for Oracle, I'll just say that you shouldn't trust them to have your interests at heart or be a good partner. They are a cash extracting machine and they'll set things up in a way to put you over a barrel if you aren't extremely detail oriented. The lawsuit was of a piece of the other stuff they had us do to maximize legal leverage to optimize for cash extraction.

Oracle took Sun, a company who basically worked hand in hand with Open Source, and gutted it to turn it into a revenue generator. gently caress them. Google sucks, but I'll take Google over Oracle anyday.

I hope this ruling turns around and fucks Casio as well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wins32767 posted:

Yeah, I have some stories. Larry Ellison is a Bond villain.

Don't forget them basically piecemealing Oracle SQL's features so they could charge me, including basically limping the damned performance unless you paid for specific features.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

piL posted:

I bet those nurses are laughing their asses off watching people die.

They really are not, its pretty traumatic for them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Someone give the scaly bodega doggo some jerky.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1379532677724901384?s=20

Crab Dad posted:

Pet/feed it’s all the same to Mr Bitey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEd9DDsBqps

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Reptiles don't deserve to be compared to this sack of poo poo. Hell, I'm not sure poo poo deserves to be compared to Stephen Miller because poo poo can be repurposed as fertilizer.

In other Miller news, apparently he's trying to setup a Alt-Right answer to the ACLU, called America First Legal.

I don't think Stephen Miller realizes the only reason he got away with what he did was Barr/Trump's love of ignoring and outright going around the law and human rights.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1379793002630148100?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
It happened. Again.

https://twitter.com/IanColdwater/status/1381392498916876288?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

The problem is, all the money they're spending on training is training designed to make them behave more violently and aggressively.

Its this. They brining in more of the warrior cop jackasses.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

boop the snoot posted:

Just a whoopsie doodle could happen to anyone

"Look, people accidentally pull their handgun and shoot an innocent person all the time! We're not highly trained cops or anything!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

https://twitter.com/rljourno/status/1381655439633420292?s=20

Yeah, more training will fix this /s

Best part is when the Chief of police calls her a "Senior Police Officer", basically admitting that these people are all incompetent.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 12, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wins32767 posted:

The fact that many tasers use a grip and trigger similar to handguns is a real problem when you have the same people armed with both. Training is only so effective, and it's an indication of the lack of the responsiveness of police departments that they keep buying devices that are so easy to confuse for a gun.

I think its safer to say they don't need access to firearms if they cannot deal with them. "Training is only so effective" is such a poor excuse given how often this happens accidentally or on purpose.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I really hate these charts, because "Libertarian" is not the opposite of Authoritarian if you talk about it in the US. Libertarian in the united states is just Corporate Authoritarian.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
More 1/6 stuff is out and.....man, its bad

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1381602911969550344?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I really wish the Feds would start laying down Civil Rights charges over this, this really does ring like a lot of the police brutality from the Civil Rights era.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Naramyth posted:

A gun without a bullet in the chamber is just an awkward club. If you are openly carrying a firearm for defense it better be ready to go on the draw.

And let's be honest: We need to remove guns from normal police. They've proven they are incapable of having the discipline or self-control in handling a firearm.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This won't happen without open and concealed carry going away, and that won't stop criminals and mass shooters from breaking the law and using guns anyway, and as the response to protests nationwide have proven, when you remove lethal force from the equation and provide LEO with an abundance of less-lethal options, they use the less-lethal options to lethal extents and extremes, like braining someone with a tear gas canister at close range or purposely shooting pepperballs and rubber bullets at no-go areas.

This is a Pandora's Box that cannot be closed by one single action.

Given that police have shown they are absolutely inept and unwilling to deal with concealed carry and open carry people anyways (usually because they are white) what difference does it make if they have a gun or not?

https://twitter.com/irishrygirl/status/1381754869900529665?s=20

These guys had guns and did nothing except for one single case.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

boop the snoot posted:

Maybe society should fix whatever has you so terrified to step outside of your home.

He's terrified but he probably orders out pizza, exposing some poor delivery driver to one of the most dangerous jobs in the United States.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Meshka posted:

A portion of people are not inherently good no matter how well a society runs itself and will always take advantage of the weaker without a mechanism to discourage that type of behavior. Saying abolish all police makes you sound like a child and will never be accepted by majority of people.

Ahhhh, the Purge realist has logged on. This is the sort of person that also argues that without the threat of divine punishment, everyone would become debauched murderers and rapists.

Abolish All Police and replace them with Social Programs and Special Response teams.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PeterCat posted:

I'm going to repost a post I made in CA .

Tl:dr, should ordinary people have to deal with biker gangs?
Basically what I'm saying is, while choppers and such are cool, gently caress these guys who are fawning over Tom Fugle and the dirtbags he hung out with. They try to make him look like some kinda kindly grampa and he was just a POS.

but....ordinary people DON'T deal with biker games, for a couple reasons: Because neither do the cops, because often the bikers include cops/ex-cops and/or associations via White Supremacist groups that are associated with both, and for another reason being that Biker Gangs are not actually roaming the streets like that.

But get associated with bikers, knowing what Biker Gangs tend to include, you might get killed. Biker Gangs have white privilege that protects them normally.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

"As you can see, the officer feels really terrible about kill that guy by kneeling on his neck!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Meshka posted:

Lets assume your hypothetical world where law enforcement does not exist. Do you believe that everyone will act in the beat interests of society and others?

Okay, first off:
Cops OVERWHELMINGLY apply the law unevenly to allow this to already happen. White privilege allows white people to do some outright absurd stuff with little to no consequences, and cops are most often the one utilizing that white privilege to inhibit the rights of minorities and people of color.

Cops DO NOT enforce the "best interest of society" unless you are openly admitting that the best interest of society is murdering Americans in their cars, on their streets, brutalizing them, oppressing them, and jailing them for minor infractions. If you think guns are going to save you, you should probably already being carrying, because those not acting in the best interests are already here. They wear uniforms.

The best interest of society was apparently kneeling on a Black Americans neck till he died and spraying a United States Military officer in the face with mace and threatening him.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 13, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Meshka posted:

I am not saying everything is great, large and DoJ mandated reforms are absolutely needed. But you cant say things like we do not need law enforcement, it is needed in every society in all time periods. Model something new using some European practices, but it will take a long time.

You cannot reform a system built from the ground up to expressly enforce racist ideals of justice.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

boop the snoot posted:

All this tells me is that they are aware of how the public will react to the decision to charge or not. Which tells me what the decision is.

Maybe I’m being pessimistic.

They protect the murderer and do nothing for the victim. Standard police stuff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wins32767 posted:

This may be a sign that perhaps kneejerk responses aren't the best idea.

This isn't doing anything for the victim, if they were doing anything for the victim we wouldn't have another dead black American. Manslaughter charges haven't stopped cops from using excessive force to the point of death, and depending on what the result of the ongoing trial against Derek Chauvin results in, you can read the room on what these charges will result in....

Right now, there is a literal army being fielded against protestors who RIGHTFULLY are protesting multiple police killings against Black Americans, and their "punishment" for protesting these travesties of justice is.....more violence against them.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 14, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Doesn't that phrasing imply that they aren't already.

Yeah, I'm kinda confused, us being there hasn't done jack against the Taliban and ISIS rebuilding, because they mostly train and build up elsewhere, and they've been pretty successful at attacking Afghan troops even with us being present.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Defenestrategy posted:

Even then, what is the alternative?

Build Afghanistan into a robust economic and politically stable country so the locals don't have a reason to turn to the Taliban for protection or economic advancement?

Pssh, we can barely do that for ourselves.

Exactly my point: We cannot do nation building, and we cannot defend the Afghanis, we really are not doing any good by being there. Honestly, the CIA "warning" reads like a pathetic outing that the CIA can't do anything either without the US Army being deployed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Withdrawing troops from Afghanistan doesn't mean we stop droning weddings, does it?

Look into your heart....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Retrowave Joe posted:

Current Event: SGT Chowdown has a nemesis.

He should be eating Sgt Chowdown's head.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

One of the few times that the correct response was engaging with lethal force.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1382670554205990917?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wins32767 posted:

Uh... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robber_baron_(industrialist)

Look, I don't disagree that things are bad right now, but they're still roughly within the bounds of what's come before in terms of inequality. Capitalism isn't the sole cause of inequality, weak democratic institutions are just as impactful, if not moreso.

Not the sole cause, but you are high a poo poo if you do not believe its not part of it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

A 13-year old in Chicago was murdered by cops because ACAB. They tried to cover it up for a week or two and planted stories about the kid being armed and dangerous before the age got out. Then after his age got out the local media tried to present 13-year olds as a threat to police officers.

ACAB

e: seriously this is gross af
https://twitter.com/chitribopinions/status/1379556582145544193?s=19

Lori Lightfoot is already raising the bridges, they know they hosed up. Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

but did he get the special support are truoops interest rate?

It's not a proper joe tribute at anything under 30%

He also has to abandon it in the barracks parking lot on base to complete the trifecta