Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You mean aside from stealing monuments to traitors?

No seriously I hope he's doing OK.

I hate writing scholarship essays. Thankfully there’s only six scholarships for grad school students going to school overseas and I’m only eligible for negative two of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Sacrist65 posted:

I don't really know what to think of this clip because alot of the context is lost in the editing.

What the clip maybe doesn't show is the LT had been stopped long enough for backup to arrive, so maybe he was refusing lawful orders for a while at that point? Declining to provide license and registration, that sort of thing?

Before i get dogpiled, all im saying is clickbait like this is edited for maximum outrage / algorithmic distribution. Right Wing Media does this poo poo all the time. Maybe I'm wrong but I would reserve judgement until seeing the entire footage.

Edit- since this is part of a lawsuit, this particular clip may have been released by the LT's lawyers to put pressure on the city to settle out of court, or poison potential jurors.

:stare:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Sacrist65 posted:

Thats a good point. And it yea it seems like a bad stop and those cops should face consequences. Also we're all consumers of an industry that makes money off how angry the news makes us. All of these things can be true.

You called an article from the loving Associated Press "clickbait," so stop with this "hmm, makes you think" bullshit.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

brains posted:

on the other hand,
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1377306477539508226?s=20

it's obvious it was a bad stop, most likely racially motivated, and most likely the cops will walk. that's fuckin virginia for you.

:cripes: Goddamnit, AP.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Bored As gently caress posted:

If the cop had a taser on him, it's way more likely that he meant he'd switch to his taser and tase the LT.

:stare:

This goes well beyond giving the benefit of the doubt into full-on bootlicking.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
On the one hand, clearly the statement wasn't meant to be all-encompassing.

On the other, this thread often likes painting with a wide brush.

Please move on.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Meshka posted:

A portion of people are not inherently good no matter how well a society runs itself and will always take advantage of the weaker without a mechanism to discourage that type of behavior. Saying abolish all police makes you sound like a child and will never be accepted by majority of people.

That portion is called "the police."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Let's let up on the dogpile, but I would definitely like Meshka to respond to this:

Proud Christian Mom posted:

while we're here I'd just like to remind everyone that the courts at all levels in the US have affirmed that cops have no duty to protect you up to and including just sitting there watching someone else attack you.

they. are. not. there. to. help. you.

And to also maybe answer the questions posed directly.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Meshka posted:

I do not agree with the court decision, it should be the opposite. There are millions of police interactions every year, you do not hear when it is routine or positive, you only hear about gently caress ups. I would argue that they are net positive by a huge margin.

holy poo poo

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
i don't even know what the gently caress

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

boop the snoot posted:

I can absolutely say things like we don’t need law enforcement because as it has been stated to you but you’ve ignored several times: 1) you’re making up your reasons out of thin air and not basing them on any objective reality and 2) it has been ruled by the United States federal loving courts that cops aren’t obligated to protect anyone at all and

:siren::siren: 3) someone posted what “abolish police” actually means and you ignored it just like they said you would, and you’re continuing to look like a moron as a result:siren::siren:

Yup.

And that's the last word on this, Meshka please do some reading before you try to offer an opinion next time.

There will be a "typing while the mod posted stop" grace period before the probes start.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
In other news:

Nice

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

wins32767 posted:

This may be a sign that perhaps kneejerk responses aren't the best idea.

Don't.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Sequestering was that show starring Roy Scheider, right?

The one with the dolphin?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Bored As gently caress, if you ever in the future want to justify a police shooting do it someplace else.

It is not welcome here, nor are you.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Grip it and rip it posted:

We are bouncing people for discussing their opinions on a discussion board?

I don't agree with Bored As Duck's opinions but is the standard here really that if you disagree with the consensus you're told to leave?

No, the standard is that if you're trying to "well actually" your way into justifying a cop killing a child while already on a watchlist for being a misogynist then maybe you're not someone I want around.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Alright, let's all take a breath.

I'm not going to banish Bored As gently caress to the land of wind and ghosts, but for the sake of all of us let's bear in mind that we're all pretty fried between the ears.

Saying a shoot is legally justified comes across as excusing it, so maybe don't do that.

A shoot that's legally justified is not the same thing as one that is morally justified (thanks to whoever said that earlier).

Please consider using the copthread for your in-depth arguments so that when Henry Kissinger's final horcrux is found the news isn't swallowed up.

I'm going off to run some errands and to clear my head: Between this and something that's going on elsewhere I'm pretty drained. IKs, there's a few frozen pizzas in the freezer for you. If you throw a wild party please clean up after yourselves.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Hekk posted:

Edit- well I sent money for McNally’s Musket Missives too

And it's greatly appreciated

Editing is a massive chore and a huge pain in the dick, but I'm still working on it, I swear.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

My understanding of this ruling (which was unanimous) is that the law as written doesn't allow the FTC to do so to begin with, which while not the desired outcome is the only one the court could have really handed down.

I could be pretty dang wrong, of course. I often am.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Kazinsal posted:

Next thing you know you're in the hawaiian wilderness building a zipline that euthanizes six year olds, wondering where you went wrong with your life.

The time you attempted to walk across the United States, obviously.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

boop the snoot posted:

He had raisins

shame on an IGA posted:

and peanuts, how dare you insult good ol peanuts by omission

even without the suicide walk plan, publicly stating "I'm eating gorp by the handful" should be grounds for an evaluation

Not even! Dude decided "well, I'm not hungry so I don't need to eat."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Thwomp posted:

He has now joined all other deceased Ohioans in getting the maximum possible distance from Ohio.

Michael Collins wasn't from Ohio.

stealie72 posted:

Depending on your theology, Jim Collins still holds the title of Ohioan who got the farthest from Ohio.

Lovell, you mean?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

El Mero Mero posted:

Lmao the reimbursement form is still basically unchanged in form even today.

He should have fought to get a mileage reimbursement.

Supposedly an astronaut tried that but the response was a bill for the rocket that took him into space.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
The first of the lawsuit against 3M over defective earplugs have reached a jury verdict.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/3m-loses-first-trial-over-military-earplugs-11619809398

quote:

3M Co. lost the first lawsuit to go to trial over the safety of earplugs it sold for years to the military, with a federal jury Friday awarding $7.1 million to three veterans and finding the company failed to warn about defects in the product.

Fingers crossed that those of us who are also suing 3M get nice settlements.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Is that ALL 3m earplugs or just a specific type?

A specific type they sold to the military. Yellow on one side to block impulse sounds but allow conversation, green side for blocking everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

FrozenVent posted:

Two important notices:

1. We have a game thread, it’s pretty cool, talk about games there.

2. The only 90’s aviation games worth talking about are CYAC and A-10 Attack!

Thank you.

This derail is okay, it's not getting in the way of anything.

Also your lack of Red Baron, Aces of the Pacific, or Aces Over Europe is noted and will be reflected in your next performance review.