Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DMX had a heart attack and is on life support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

His future pacemaker hopefully will lay a consistent beat.

rude

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Happy Easter, i guess?

:(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The QAnon Anonymous podcast, Behind the Bastards when they’ve had Frederick Brennan on, and Popular Front’s QAnon series have all tipped right up to the edge of saying this and heavily, heavily implied this to the listener.

Because it's been the most plausible theory but there's been no way to prove it so far, short of a confession from one of the principals. This interview is the closest we've seen to that happen so far.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the yellow dart posted:

positive corporate work in America.

lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

It's not quite that bad. Chances are that the Biden administration finds creative legal ways to get around the dumb poo poo, like the "loan" of AZ/Oxford doses to Mexico/Canada. Right now, every dose of J&J/Moderna/Pfizer gets into an arm or is earmarked for an arm somewhere in the United States. Nothing's wasted except for the botched Johnsons (because who wants a botched Johnson?).

US demand for vaccines is still near-infinite for another few months, so nothing is gathering dust on shelves for very long. By the time we run out of arms, the Biden folks will figure out if the nonsense the Trump administration agreed to was due to companies' legal concerns, classic greed, or both and act accordingly to fix the problem and get the doses to the rest of the world. The Vanity Fair article heavily implies that the DoD folks took the route of "We don't have time for this legal poo poo, we needs these contracts loving done or other countries get these first doses" and there's now time for legal wrangling to unwind that.

This is probably easy to fix. Fedgov can unilaterally modify its contracts unless the people writing those made some extremely specific changes in what is copy/pasted boilerplate. When presented with the changes, contractors can agree or walk away from the revised contract with no penalty.

Source: was a COR for a few years.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

quote:

That's why you layin' on your back, lookin' at the roof of the church
Preacher tellin' the truth and it hurts

:rip:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PookBear posted:

merchant marines from ww2 is a completely different situation from being in the merchant marines during the wars in iraq/afghanistan unless Iraq has a submarine fleet conducting unrestricted warfare that I didn't know anything about

Pretty sure that was in Colin Powell's briefing to the UN.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Just join the masons and have better social connects.

Or do the masons not exist in the form I remember.

Masons, Elks, Caribou, Knights of Columbus if that's your thing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jefferson Davis chair saga has ended.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

poo poo, I saw someone get wheeled away for feeling dizzy and nauseated, and I feel it slightly myself(mostly stomach cramps) but like, that was a straight "this may happen, just let us know and we will get you a place to lay down" no panic situation. Shutting down sites over a known reaction to injections is nuts

They're just looking for excuses to not let people have their shots.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Tokaii, right? That was a great thread.

He did two or three threads and they were all fascinating. It was just too bad he made some gross posts that were kind of defending a MMO player who was severely creeping on teenage girls and got banned for it.

The cop thread.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah didn’t he mention being assigned undercover to anti-civil rights protesters, so he was probably the only goon who threw a rock towards MLK?

Yeah his first assignment was to infiltrate the local American Nazi Party group and in one of the threads someone found a photo of George Lincoln Rockwell on a march that also had Tokaii walking beside him holding a sign.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, they were some really neat threads. Apparently he's passed away since then.

That's too bad but not really a surprise, he'd be pushing 90 today and he mentioned a number of health issues. RIP to a real one.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Dangerous offenders aren’t supposed to be eligible for cash bail. Prosecutors use the ability to set unreasonable bail amounts to be lazy and not have to actually show that someone is a danger.

I would love to see it gone but at this point I feel like ending cash bail just means everyone gets charged with "assaulting an officer" in addition to whatever they got hauled in for.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edited out and appears to be expunged from the thread, you're safe to click now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Technically...not yet.

When people who've never known hunger other than "I skipped lunch" in the US start going hungry for the first time...all bets are off.

I'm pretty sure we're going to see food riots in the us in our lifetimes, and it's gonna be wild.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I've always wondered how that would play out. Where I live now, I'm surrounded by farms and I can't help but wonder if we'd be alright due to local food production, or if it would be a holodomor situation.

It'll be like the British East India Company and the Bengal famine. All the food gets shipped off to satisfy the contracts unless you have enough locally-aligned military power willing to throw down over it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bengy81 posted:

Not sure if it's the same as food rationing, but there is a pretty good chance a huge chunk of the Western US is gonna have to deal with severe water shortages this summer. Can't wait to see poor people stand in line for gallons of water while fat midwesterners flock to LV to gawk at the Bellagio fountains.

May not last much longer in Vegas than the rest of the region. Last couple of trips I've seen people stealing water from the hoses behind every 7-11 I pass in the middle of the night.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

https://twitter.com/DineshDSouza/status/1384199942068047872

Pretty cool how many people actually believe this bullshit.

Hey Dinesh: suck my D'ick from the back.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bored As gently caress posted:

Uhhh guys

Ukraine President Zelensky Is Ready for War With Russia, Vows to 'Stand to the Last Man'

https://www.newsweek.com/ukraine-president-zelensky-ready-war-russia-vows-stand-last-man-1585425

:stare:

I think Biden better start sending them some Javelins and TOWs right quick.

Bet Ukraine is really regretting letting us talk them into the Nunn-Lugar deal right about now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Over the counter is penny stocks and poo poo. The stuff from the Wolf of Wall Street.

It's a mob front.

From the Bad with Money thread, more info:

More on this from Bloomberg today:

quote:

The deli
Hometown International Inc., the deli in Paulsboro, New Jersey, that is a $100 million public company for very perplexing reasons, had another good day yesterday. After trading 27,381 shares, total, from the beginning of 2021 until last Thursday, an average of just 353 shares per day, it traded 42,762 shares on Friday — after David Einhorn pointed to its valuation as an example of current market excess — and then 14,989 shares yesterday. It closed at $13.01, up slightly from Friday’s close of $12.99, down slightly from Thursday’s pre-Einhorn close of $13.50.

Last Thursday, the deli was a $100 million public company because you do that calculation by multiplying the number of shares outstanding by the most recent trading price of the stock, even if the stock barely trades; here, the “$100 million” number came from trades worth about $3,900 per day. But now it’s a bit more. Instead of trading a couple of thousand dollars’ worth of stock a day, it traded $212,799 worth of stock yesterday. Instead of getting its very high valuation from a tiny number of trades between, presumably, insiders, it has gotten a lot of public attention while pretty much keeping its valuation.

Actually I am sorry to tell you this, but the valuation is really much higher than that. From Hometown’s Form 10-K, filed last month:

quote:

On April 15, 2020, the Company issued to each shareholder of record on said date: (i) five Class A Warrants, entitling the holder thereof to purchase five shares of the Company’s common stock at an exercise price of $1.25 per share (the “Class A Warrants”), (ii) five Class B Warrants, entitling the holder thereof to purchase five shares of the Company’s common stock at an exercise price of $1.50 per share (the “Class B Warrants”), (iii) five Class C Warrants, entitling the holder thereof to purchase five shares of the Company’s common stock at an exercise price of $1.75 per share (the “Class C Warrants”), and (iv) five Class D Warrants, entitling the holder thereof to purchase five shares of the Company’s common stock at an exercise price of $2.00 per share (the “Class D Warrants”), with each warrant expiring on April 15, 2035 (collectively, the “Warrants”).

The simple valuation math is that Hometown is worth $13.01 (yesterday’s closing price) times 7.8 million (the number of shares outstanding), or about $101 million. But ordinarily companies are valued based on their fully diluted equity value, taking into account stock options and warrants. Here, there are 7.8 million shares, but also an absurd 155.9 million warrants. That represents a fully diluted equity value of almost $1.9 billion.[1]

Hometown raised $2.5 million on April 14, 2020, by selling 2.5 million shares of stock (at a dollar each) to a few big investors in a private sale. The next day, it issued those warrants to all of its shareholders (including the new ones). As far as I can tell, the warrants do not trade with the stock. The result is that if an insider of Hometown sells you his stock, he keeps warrants to buy 20 times as much stock at way-below-market prices. “We have an aggregate of 155,940,080 warrants issued and outstanding which are all currently exercisable,” says the 10-K. “The future issuance of common stock will result in substantial dilution in the percentage of our common stock held by our then existing shareholders.” I don’t really know why a company would issue warrants for 20 times its outstanding shares. But it does have the result that, if the stock price gets high, insiders can sell their stock to outsiders at the new high price and then reload by buying lots more stock at low prices. And then sell it to outsiders again.

I do not want to give you investing advice, but I will say that if you went out and spent $100 million to buy all of the stock of Hometown International — which, again, is a deli — you would end up owning only about 5% of the company.[2] I … I would not personally do that trade? But obviously you do what you want. We are way past my ability to advise here. Look at me, doing math, like an absolute chump.

Elsewhere in deli news, Dan Mangan at CNBC continues to do actual reporting about Hometown:

quote:

[Peter] Coker Sr. is one of several key shareholders in Hometown International mentioned in Securities and Exchange Commission filings, as are entities in Hong Kong and Macao, China.

Public filings show that the entities in Hong Kong are all located on the same floor of the same building there. That is the case for the entities in Macao, as well. In Hong Kong, an investor named Manoj Jain, of Maso Capital Partners, has sole voting and investment power over the Homeland International shares held by each of the three entities, records show.

Coker Sr. personally holds 63,334 shares of Hometown common stock, with warrants for another 1.26 million shares. Coker Sr.’s own company, Tryon Capital, is being paid $15,000 per month through a consulting contract with Hometown.

Coker Sr. has himself been sued for allegedly hiding money from creditors and business-related fraud. He has denied wrongdoing in those cases, one of which settled out of court in recent years in North Carolina. He did not return repeated requests for comment from CNBC.

His partner in Tryon Capital, Peter Reichard, in 2011 entered a plea in a criminal case that led to his conviction for a scheme to illegally contribute thousands of dollars to the successful 2008 campaign of Bev Perdue, a Democrat who was elected that year as North Carolina’s first female governor.

The scheme involved the use of a bogus consulting contract between Tryon Capital Ventures and a fast-food franchisee who wanted to support Perdue. Coker Sr. was not charged in that case.

I dunno, there’s a lot going on at that deli.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

That plant had documented problems that were numerous and serious.

I would not trust anything that came out of it.

I mean, I would take a shot from there if it was my only option, but I wouldn’t be happy about it.

What happened there is what I expected to happen at every plant making vaccines for the US.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Logan Paul getting his rear end beaten will now be June 6.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The problem with unlimited PEDs is that many of them are really destructive and the people at the most risk of getting hosed up by them aren't the top-tier athletes, but the people on the roster bubble who feel they need the boost to stay on the team. There's also the issue of PEDs filtering down into youth sports, where kids are encouraged to gently caress themselves up in order to go pro.

Like, pro sports already fucks people up in a large number of ways, throwing PEDs on top of that is a pretty big overall negative imo

It would bring it into the daylight at least. It's happening at all levels and part of the reason a bunch of nasty poo poo gets used is because it's not screened for. If it was permissible then there would be incentive to use safer stuff so you'd have a longer and more lucrative career. We've already proven that prohibition doesn't work, why keep pretending it does?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, only ~5000 AIM-54s (encompassing A and C models) were ever produced. Tomcats usually only carried two, and during the Tomcat's heyday carriers had to pack munitions for *way* more airframes on board. It'd surprise me if no more than 50 Phoenixes made it on board each carrier for every cruise with an option for more delivered by VERTREP if needed.

That few? Now I really feel guilty for flinging missiles all over the sky in After Burner.