Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Notahippie posted:

This is a thing with fascist or fascist-adjacent groups - most of the higher-ups are in it for personal gain and they obviously operate on FYGM because it's the whole ideology, so they tend to backstab each other more or less constantly. It's one reason why the FBI has penetrated the organized groups so thoroughly - they tend to be willing to cheerfully roll on somebody else to protect their rear end and get a rival out of the way.

You can bitch about leftist circular firing squads, but in general it seems to be a little harder to get leftist leaders to throw each other under the bus in my impression.

I just finished teaching a section on Fascism for my Ideology class and this is exactly how Germany and Italy operated during the 30s and the 40s. Very few true believers at the higher echelons and they all competed for personal gain rather than the benefiting the state. It's a weird ideology in many ways.

Also, RIP Mike Collins. I followed him on Facebook and he was such a joy. I'm a member of a few Space Groups on FB and apparently if you complemented him on his book Carrying the Fire he'd gently chide you for reading "that smut". An all around awesome man.

Burning Beard fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU