Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

McDonald's actually had "Angus Third Pounders" somewhat recently and they didn't last. Pretty sure it was the price that killed them off and not 'Murkans not bein' so good with the math.

"I spent my whole adult professional life stanning for a political party that said weed was as dangerous as heroin! Now that I'm retired, though - 420 smoke trees e'eryday!" :troll:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-18/ex-speaker-boehner-can-score-big-on-pot-deal-with-weed-legalized

A&W was the company that McD's beat because Math is Hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I will pay to use that toilet.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

There is no way in hell or earth that I wouldn't try and pet forbidden bodega kitty.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Crab Dad posted:

Pet/feed it’s all the same to Mr Bitey.

According to all scientific evidence, I am immortal. I'll take that risk.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Gonna guess CTE was a contributing factor.

I asked my wife to get my brain checked after I die. I've already got TBI, and I'll never know, but it will be done closure for my kids

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

I would 100% bet on CTE and it makes me glad I bruised my kidney when I was playing in 9th grade and never played again.

I recently sought treatment for TBI outside of the VA. I learned 2 things.
1- they take this poo poo serious. I was assigned to a therapy team (Physical, Occupational, and Cognitive) within a week. They don't gently caress around.
2- we are far enough removed from my war that sharing details shocks people. Casually answering questions like "How many concussions?" With "Do you want physical blows only, or blast overpressure, too?"

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

ASAPI posted:

Curious, did the VA refer you to guys outside or did you seek them out on your own? If the second part is true, what prompted you to leave the VA system (and how long did it take to make that decision)?

Went on my own without the VA. I got sick of being told it wasn't real/didn't effect me/is all in my head. I don't see the VA for anything anymore beyond meds.
They told me nothing was wrong with my knees. Multiple orthos disagreed.
They told me it was impossible to damage my back where it hurts.
XRays disagree. Multiple areas of compression with nerve impingement.
Was told my headaches were migraines they wouldn't treat.
Post Concussion Syndrome.

These are minor issues I've had. I stopped going years ago when I went in with serious neurological issues, and sat for 12 hours not seeing anyone but a triage nurse. Then, when I told a nurse I was leaving, "You can't. You haven't seen a doctor, and you aren't cleared."
"I am, and I don't think you have enough security to stop me. Get me my loving discharge paperwork."

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

It's dumb, will get challenged, and probably overturned. The EO precedent of bump stocks and their subsequent over turning of it.

It is a useless, feel good move that screws over millions for a law that is dumb and should be overturned.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Williams would have ruined that movie with his stupid hack-y shtick that he does in virtually every performance. Murray is overrated, and really not that good in any of his 'classics'. Most of them suck.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Murray seems like a gaping dickhead. Everything I've heard from people that worked with him, or spent any real time with him, says the same.
He isn't even funny. He's only still popular because of the Monkey Cheese Random crowd from a decade ago.

He also beat his ex and told her no one would believe her.

Of all the comedians that I wish had a Selena style Fan Club President, Murray (and before) Williams were top of that list.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You guys are saying these things like Groundhog Day or Scrooged were good with him.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I would say it's as good as ghostbusters.

Ghostbusters blows

Not empty quoting.

:glomp:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

i wish real vfws were as cool as this place

Same.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I have medal plates to get out of tickets.

It loving works.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Fallom posted:

They’ve never given a gently caress about the troops and even if they kept the pretense they’d find a reason to declare the guy a phony soldier.

They already did- he's black.
All ARE TROOPS are god fearing, white Christian Males.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Bored As gently caress posted:

If the cop had a taser on him, it's way more likely that he meant he'd switch to his taser and tase the LT.

Regardless who loving cares, the cop's a piece of poo poo and deserves to be fired and prosecuted himself. Deserves to never wear a badge again.

Politely disagree. A non-Zero number of people have been killed by police doing exactly what that officer was doing- threatening nonlethal while holding a gun is a lethal loving threat. Not to mention the concept of involuntary grasping (the natural human reaction in that situation is to make a fist) and all it takes is less than a half second inattention on behalf of a non-professional gun toucher to accidentally kill.

gently caress that cop. gently caress that partner. gently caress that department. gently caress anyone who excuses this, because it's the mentality that murders. Cops are supposed to de-escalate, not make things worse because they are power tripping motherfuckers with racist ideology.

Even in Iraq, I tried to give people a chance, because it's what I was paid to do. We pay them to do a job that entails risk, not act like organized crime and murder their charges.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

https://youtu.be/bWXazVhlyxQ

Zach and Crew warned you in 92

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The easy solution you'll never see.

If you are carrying less lethal, you only carry LL. You keep your big boy toys in the car. Your partner has a gun. He is secondary.

It's not like this is new. Some police textbooks in the 50s advocated having only one officer armed, and the Contact Officer unarmed to ease community worries. The Cover officer just provided overwatch- if any of you have dealt with EPWs, Detainees, or ECPs in theater, this might sound familiar. But no. Lets pay the mentally ill six figs a year to power trip and murder.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Crab Dad posted:

yeah we've had bean bag shotguns (it's a shotgun painted orange) for decades but you rarely ever seen them deployed. like they can still kill but it's less likely.

We have those. We have Bolowraps. We have 36 flavors of tazer type weapons. Maybe my Grunt mind is fried from doing the same job in Baghdad, but if you feel you can't do a cop's job without a gun, you shouldn't carry one.

I've seriously had enough and would prefer a new branch added to the DOD to take over all domestic LE. We nees to have standards and responsibility. Right now, we pay them to subugate.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Britain has the right idea by disarming most patrol officers and requiring them to escalate to armed cops.

But since that will never happen in the US, I've always thought the least objectionable way to deal with police shootings was to work off their laziness. Cops get to keep their guns, but drawing one breaks a seal that requires hours and hours of justification and paperwork with independent review until they are allowed to get it back.

We pay them enough for murder, we don't need to pay them overtime, too.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

DurosKlav posted:

Should have destroyed it gently caress letting them get their lovely monuments back.

I would return it.
In pieces, in feces.

Also, thanks for introducing me to MDC.

I recently introduced my daughter (who loves SVU) and some younger friends to the moral panic of 'Cop Killer' by Body Count.

Conversation with my daughter.
"Do you recognize the voice?"
"Wait, is this Detective Finn?"
"Yep."
"How the gently caress does he play a cop?"

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I didn't say it was a great idea, but we need to find a solution.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Yes, it was loving intentional.
She intended to pull the trigger.
It was negligence that it was her weapon. It wasn't a loving accident.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

At the very least she should be facing criminally negligent homicide.

Her resignation letter included the line "I loved every minute". What a piece of poo poo.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Best Friends posted:

An awkward club that can be transformed into a firearm in less than a second, sure.

The problem is you don't always have the time or physical ability to rack a round in. Many draws are done with the support hand in defense, which makes it incredibly difficult to make the gun ready.

I'd rather them not have a gun that deal with that bullshit, because they will still ND and shoot people while dealing with their lovely unloaded gun, because Cops aren't professionals with firearms.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Cop didn't even wait for compliance.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You guys are making me miss Iraqi food.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I seriously regret that I ever took the military serious. I could have hosed off and been a shitbag, got out without a broken loving body- and wouldn't feel like my country just took a poo poo on me.

I sacrificed a lot for the American ideals as written- all that poo poo. And my fellow citizens excuse and congratulate vigilante police, cheer as press is attacked, and celebrate treason and the murder of their fellow citizens.

Why the gently caress did I sacrifice my loving body and mind for these cocksuckers? I hate going out now. I never liked it completely, but I didn't feel this simmering feeling of disdain for the people around me.

The problem with America is we have too many loving Americans.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

So antibody else ready for this acquittal in the Chauvin trial?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Anytime that chicken hawk no talent gently caress comes up, I have to remind the room of the Kris Kristofferson incident.

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/article/13028196/apparently-someone-does-remember-the-toby-keithkris-kristofferson-incident

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That looked like a legally justified shooting given everything we see, and knowing he was the lone officer.

I might have done things different, but I've also been known to put personal safety like, 4th or 5th in my list of priorities.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CainFortea posted:

There's like 3 other cops there with him.

Also, is it clear that she was the one who called 911?

I stand corrected- I only saw the one officer in the videos I've seen.

And no, the only thing that is clear is that she is trying to stab someone.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

There is a reason I've been saying legally justified, and not morally justified.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

lol my guy if you want it to be okay to shoot black teen girls just tell us

e: p sure a cop will survive a few close calls from a kitchen knife better than that girl did several rounds from his gun. Nobody needed to die

Cole, you're being a dense cheese again.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

McNally posted:

Alright, let's all take a breath.

I'm not going to banish Bored As gently caress to the land of wind and ghosts, but for the sake of all of us let's bear in mind that we're all pretty fried between the ears.

Saying a shoot is legally justified comes across as excusing it, so maybe don't do that.

A shoot that's legally justified is not the same thing as one that is morally justified (thanks to whoever said that earlier).

Please consider using the copthread for your in-depth arguments so that when Henry Kissinger's final horcrux is found the news isn't swallowed up.

I'm going off to run some errands and to clear my head: Between this and something that's going on elsewhere I'm pretty drained. IKs, there's a few frozen pizzas in the freezer for you. If you throw a wild party please clean up after yourselves.

That was me.

It was the thought process I was taught as a Grunt. The purpose of the Infantry is not killing- it is (or should be) a controlled application of violence to achieve a goal. They should act with compassion, and a sense of moral and ethical standards. Just because you can shoot, doesn't mean you should.

I'm sure I've shared it before, but I was confronted multiple times by elements of leadership and asked why I didn't just shoot a guy. "Because I didn't need to" was the answer. It reality, it's because laws and regulations do not reflect morality. Just because it's legal, doesn't mean it's 'right'. It was legal to own people; it was legal to beat your children; it was legal to rape your wife.

I believed that my job was to take the risks so as many others can go home as possible. I was getting paid to take the hits. I can categorically say what I would have done (with a high degree of certainty given past experiences), it's a mindset that many don't carry.

I type all this as I wait to see my Cognitive therapist for the TBI that fighting locals contributed to.

And you know what? I'm ok with the damage, because everyone went home alive.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Sorry, my bad for confusing Cole.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's in intelligence failure, but presumably nothing that can carry enough high explosives to be a risk to a boat is getting that close.

I would disagree.
They wouldn't have to sink the boat- dropping a few modified HEDP warheads would gently caress up some aircraft, if that was the their goal. Putting a few on a drone is pretty trivial, and it doesn't have to be a large drone- not a fair comparison due to flight time, linger time, remote range, blah blah blah- but ISIL modified COTS Phantom drones to carry 4× 40mm Warheads. They modified others to carry various small arms munitions like mortar rounds, and the growing trend of Suicide Drones being small and effective means they could hit some poo poo, if they chose to.

In the recent Armenia conflict, a modified Colt AN2 biplane was modified to act as a mothership, and carry loiter munitions/suicide drones to an objective area, drop them, and have the drone jockeys take over, and do their part of finding trouble.

Again, not a 1:1, but the damage even small drones can do is growing exponentially.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Weird Q- about a billion years ago, the Army was issuing Green Lasers to mount on rifles for Escalation of Force.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about? If so, does anyone remember anything about the lasers- nomenclature, manufacturer, anything that might help me find one?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Thanks. Dazzler gor me in the ball park.

I have a stupid 300blk AR build that needs a laser, and I can't find any retro or vintage ones, so I have to widen my idea corral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'd just like to remind everyone that today is ANZAC day. Originally to honour those that died at Gallipoli, it's now encompassing all soldiers that died - kind of a "day of the unknown warrior". I'm sure most here are aware of the absolute disaster that was Gallipoli - landed, immediately degenerated into a stalemate, lost many troops trying to break the deadlock, followed by retreating when the powers that be realised what a pointless waste it was.

Spare a thought for those that never came home, and listen to one of the most gut-wrenching songs I've heard.

https://youtu.be/WG48Ftsr3OI

Every year I listen to that, and 'I Was Only 19'.