Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Cnn saying he dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

boop the snoot posted:

Most of gip, however:

*sees a wolf*

Wow that’s the biggest doggo I’ve ever seen.

I shall boop the snoot.

I can't help myself with dogs. I broke up a dog fight yesterday.

I also can't help myself with cats either, but I've had several and one currently, so maybe it's the toxoplasmosis.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm kinda glad I'm in such a small apartment, any more than Frank, Beans and I would be cramped as hell.

The day I find myself in a bigger place is probably the day my Chewy order grows.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah number of items is always a problematic measure. I remember seeing some crazy number for a local department once and actually dug into it and it was a fuckton of k9 safety equipment adding to the numbers. The objection is to requesting one tank, saying “sure we’ll eventually run through a conex full of doggles “ is exactly the idea behind the program. Maybe only let fire departments use the program or something.

I worked a job in a k9 equipment shop. Some of that poo poo is blatant markup, but a big part of it is requirements for departments to buy american made stuff, which means bite suits, sleeves, harnesses, leashes, even badge holders.

The ballistic vests for dogs are $1000+ show pieces. Even the stab vest is heavy enough that a dog shouldn't wear it more than it absolutely has to, and they only go up in weight with protection level. The bite suits also can run a couple grand, depending on how decked out they are. It's not something you want to cheap out on. They have to be generally well fitting, so departments would often order several sizes.

Police departments would order uniforms and service equipment as well, which the place carried because it caters directly to cops. Truspec, 5.11, underarmor, oakley, etc. Honestly, the idea that cops need $100+ gloves and sunglasses provided by department funds is more infuriating than the actual, useful equipment (and toys) they buy their animals. It's another path to spend money on the cops themselves.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
His future pacemaker hopefully will lay a consistent beat.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
When you want to drown in army style, the duckboat.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

hobbesmaster posted:

How many of those guys do you think would be surprised about having to learn how to swim?

This is why I went army. Can't drown if there's no body of water in the desert to occupy.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Is that an ASI course like vehicle recovery? Because that sounds like some H8 quals poo poo.

I know the army throws people in pools from time to time. I picked an mos that didn't have me jumping in pools.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Carteret posted:

H8 was one of the coolest and worst things Ive ever done in the Army. I had to throw my ACU set away that I wore into the "pond"

I was a holdover waiting on orders and I missed opting into H8 school because I took a four day pass and hosed off for a weekend.

Never stopped my unit in Korea from assigning me a HEMTT wrecker.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If boomers want to die of covid, let them die.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Milo and POTUS posted:

loving fentanyl, I know it. Sucks

It's murda.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Some former football player killed 5 people and himself.

WBTV: AP source: NFL pro killed five people, then himself in York County, S.C. shooting.
https://www.wbtv.com/2021/04/08/five-killed-including-two-children-shooting-york-county-home/

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Aykroyds' ghost sex scene is something I'll never unsee.

I saw that poo poo as a kid so I can probably blame some sexual hangup on it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'd go to the VFW if there was a dab lounge.

poo poo, get the VFW on the legal weed train, so when legalization rolls around, vets can just buy a $5 joint at the bar with their $2 beer. Doesn't even need to be good weed, members are likely to reminisce about cheap weed they bought in Vietnam or Panama and not care about potency (or me remembering lovely $100 quarters from the laundry TCNs).

When I start looking at coming off IU, I should look at bartending at a local hall.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Buy 5 acres north of Fort Collins, put up a barn bar, make it vets only and call it The Farm Upstate. A place for vets to play and run free in their elder years.

I'm joking but kinda not really. Buying plots of land and having a communal grounds to gather would be helpful as gently caress. Buy enough land, and you could build something useful, like a transient/homeless vet small home community, donation and distribution center, gently caress, even just a softball diamond to compete against other Farms Upstate.

Officers welcome, but not for leadership roles. We all know where that would get us.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

RFC2324 posted:

Really, a vet bar/halfway house would probably be one of the best ideas to happen to the military

Reason I lean to a large plot property is what you can eventually do with it. Even if that's just giving a handful of vets a chance at some sort of housing.

I mean, city and county planning (in lots of places, not all) are likely to give in on some poo poo if you had an org buy 10 acres on the edge of town to put up 50-75 tiny homes (500-1000sqft cabins) for transient and homeless vets.

I really wonder what kind of grant or gov money you could get if you bought a motel (with bar lounge) and devoted it to transient and homeless vets. Find a motel on the outskirts of a city, get chummy with some VA people, get a gov check and some city/county tax leniency, start rehabbing some old Motel 6 to suit vet needs.

So what's a dying motel company? Knights Inn? Super 8?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
So much for that pacemaker joke.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\ get whatever DV/HV plate you qualify for. In some states, that means free registration every year (love Colorado).

Most of those little towns sell for north of a million, and those below are remnants of dead mine towns out here. Maybe one wobbly standing structure.

The idea would be more leaning on a place in the community for vets, not an entire town of us. Edge of town for convenience, social benefit, access to employment. A dead motel makes some sense in that vein, but a better path would be partnering with a local mill and build those swedish or swiss cabins that are basically stacked lumber for the community on a decent sized plot, if a gov check of substantial money can be thrown in.

Lean on membership of a growing org to build the houses. Get old man President Carter out there to whack a few nails and draw press for donation dollars. Take labor and financial donations alike to keep the bills paid and lights on for the vets, roll bar profits into the fund keeping it afloat (after paying staff livable wages). Do it near a mil base and you can probably guilt engineer battalions into donating time and materials.

There's gonna be holes in the idea you can poke at, it's not like I'd actually do anything like this. I don't know the people in the right places to squeeze for vetbux.

RFC2324, a mixed membership club would probably be really helpful, that's a good idea.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 9, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
TN has never expiring DV plates if you're 100%, anything below gets a HV plate and a yearly renewal fee.

Colorado, you pay your taxes and like, $7 for the DV plate itself, then the sticker just shows up yearly with a zeroed out bill the month before the tag expires. I paid about $350 in county taxes on my current car and the sticker is free from then on. I think you need 50% VA disability minimum to get a DV tag here.

Tickets are still a thing with those tags, I got 10mph over ticket in a speed trap with a TN HV tag. Dude did say he would've let it go, but the trap was a department event (ticket drive lol). I just drive at 5mph over now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They used to, but I know I have a cousin that deployed army NG to Germany for 9 months while the unit they filled in for went to Iraq. He was in the local vfw by 21, but didn't become a member until 24 or so. Might be a geographic thing, that part of Illinois is slowly dying.

Iirc when it mattered, campaign medal was sufficient because it's typically universal, but a DD214 is usually used because it lists all that fun deployment poo poo. I don't think it matters much any more.

Campaign medal is for service in theater, not direct combat. There are a lot of other awards for that and a whole bunch of sour britches from CABs handed out in Iraq and Afghanistan a decade ago.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 9, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I knew a major on deployment that I'd see monthly when he picked up or dropped off his truck. They (his E4/5 in tow) were based in Kuwait and flew into Iraq for 2-4 days a month for reasons that allowed them to be eligible for the campaign medal. They'd fly into Balad, drive around base for a few days, then fly back to kuwait for 3.5 weeks.

He was in supply somewhere and could always make poo poo magically appear for us, so we took care of his truck in turn for monthly Santa visits.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I think it's OCONUS service now so Germany, Japan, Korea, etc.

E: their website has some expired poo poo but here's the relevant part from their own broke cookie batch

quote:

3: Service in a war, campaign, or expedition on foreign soil or in hostile waters*. This can be proven by any of the following:

- An authorized campaign medal (see a full list of qualifying medals and badges)
- Receipt of Hostile Fire Pay or Imminent Danger Pay (verified by a military pay statement)
- Service in Korea for 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days

*This information is usually available through a veteran’s DD-214. If other information is needed or if a veteran’s DD-214 is not complete, they can contact the National Personnel Records Center online or at 314.801.0800 to request more information.

http://www.vfw.org/join/eligibility

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 9, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

lol my man if you want to join the VFW so bad just get an MOS that will deploy you overseas in support of ongoing operations

Just join the masons and have better social connects.

Or do the masons not exist in the form I remember.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My former father-in-law was/is a mason. And he wondered why I wanted nothing to do with them. Not trying to stand around a night a week in service to the old guy who owns the dry cleaners.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
So how long until a cop pulls over the wrong officer and has artillery rained on his house?

Because that would be a fun story to read.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Getting J&J shot in the Springs VA.

E: fucks sake, my arm is instantly sore. I can feel the 5Gs.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 10, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

facialimpediment posted:

My first Moderna shot was hilarious because I didn't even feel the needle go in, then my arm got progressively more sore starting an hour later, but slowly. It never got worse than comical soreness and lasted a few days, but it was definitely a case of McCain arm. Good thing I didn't need to fly anywhere.

Within 10 seconds, my arm was sore, I could feel it in my fingers. About 45 minutes later, just the upper arm is sore. I took a tylenol and am soothing my soul with fried chickens and jojoes.

Also dabs. Went to the weed store on the way to the clinic.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

orange juche posted:

But did it rewrite your DNA to pick up 5G signals

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Getting J&J shot in the Springs VA.

E: fucks sake, my arm is instantly sore. I can feel the 5Gs.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Upper arm is still sore but I'm fine otherwise from the J&J baby stem cell shot.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm just glad they gave me the aborted fetus shot, one and done.

Bonus points for making GBS threads on catholics.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SquirrelyPSU posted:

As far as I can tell, the J&J is not going to be an option in my locality, but it would be my preference. Much like if I take my car in for an inspection, and they tell me my brake pads are close, I ask how much and how long. And I'll pay 100$ more than normal, but I'm not going to have to make a second appointment.

When I made my appointment with the VA clinic the text message they sent very boldly stated FIRST SHOT and they wound up punching me with J&J. I was going in with the assumption that I'd get one of the 2 shot vaccines, so to be one and done is nice.

Not sure how the allocation works for VA, you get what you get and that worked fine for me. They were rescheduling people who didn't want baby blood in their serum or who might have interactions to a 2 shot series though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Eej posted:

It's like that thing where if you give a sociopath therapy you just end up teaching them how to appear normal

Oddly just watched this before reading the past few posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT9FYd-YcIY

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

That Works posted:

Tulsa PD had a shooting a couple years back that was kinda same deal. Old cop grabbed gun instead of tazer and shot the victim in the back on the ground

Iirc that guy was an auxiliary because he was so loving ancient.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
For everyone that wants the J&J shot, there's some anti-choice rear end in a top hat that won't take it because they used fetal stem cells to produce it.

Three days after my J&J shot and I haven't grown any 5g cell towers.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
This argument is as boring as this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYwaWngXRqU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Those billions won't disappear. They won't exist thanks to tax cuts.

E: you've grown, cole. Whether that's personally or just on us, who's to say, but you've grown.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, fences don't stop bottles of gas and fire from flying over.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m sure we’ll keep bombing Afghanistan regardless of whether or not there are troops stationed there.

I'm enjoying the articles today about Russians encroaching on Ukraine and China breaching Taiwanese airspace and both aggressors telling us to keep out of it.

Quality world news entertainment.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And I'm sure the next Republican president will find a reason to send an "exploratory force" there to keep the cash register ringing. If there were Burger Kings and Subways on bases in Vietnam in the 60s we'd probably still be there.

There's too much money to be made ensuring are truups have the "comforts of home" in the purest :capitalism: way possible.

"We won't pay *you* any more money for risking your life, but we'll subsidize fast food companies out the rear end to serve you $1000 burgers for MSRP in a warzone."

Your reward for low enlisted wages and deployments is VA disability and education benefits. As long as the war machine grinds, the VA pays. The minute the war machine starts winding down is the minute the rewards are dialed back. Keep the war effort up and you continue the nonstop pandering to "da troops" and no politician will dare vote against your benefits if they want to keep their seats.

We'll officially be the united states of corporations before we make any real cuts to the military. My state will be run by a weed corporation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's not exactly the dining facility improvements the troops are looking for.

What's next month, suicide awareness month with pancakes shaped like forearms and only strawberry jam for a topping?