Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

quoted from previous thread

orange juche posted:

He may be eyeing things west of the Dnieper.
This is Logishin, Belarus, 28 miles from the northern border of Ukraine, well west of the Dnieper.

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1377414549901484035?s=20

I spent a couple minutes in paint circling the locations where Russian troop movements have been noted in the last couple of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Putin wouldn't dare invade Ukraine when drumpf was in charge

Nah, there's a water crisis in Crimea, when Russia invaded Crimea in 2014, Ukraine cut off their main water supply, as you do when a country invades and annexes a major portion of your country. Crimea's out of water, and Russia isn't happy. This would have probably happened under drumpf too, except he would have been fellating Putin on how strong and authoritative he is.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Softface posted:

It's either all-out war or preparations for the regular bilateral exercises between Russia and Belarus scheduled to take place later this year.

yeah it's both out of schedule, out of place, and why the gently caress do you need a shitload of bridging equipment on the eastern border of Ukraine unless you're planning on using it?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

those look like pretty significant locations?

The big one is the northwest spot, because that means that potentially if those troops aren't in Belarus for wargames, and are there for actual war, then the whole strategy's different and it's not just a play for the eastern half of Ukraine, but a play for the whole smack. I'm spitballing but if it's right that's real bad.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lightpole posted:

Need to distract from unrest at home with foreign adventurism.

The parallels are uncanny

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I mean really they've got enough bridging equipment staged on the border in the east that the troops in Belarus don't even matter and may just be there for wargames, or a reserve force, but that's the fun of trying to figure out what's going on from fragmented info moving quickly. At a minimum letting Ukraine know you have troops in the northwest keeps them from throwing everything against an assault from the east.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

there's also option 3, where Putin stands down the troops and says "haha made you look", unlikely, but possible.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sacrist65 posted:

Imagine spending 30 years on the right schools, charities and politicians to get your Beavis and Butthead looking son in Congress so you can flex to the other dads on the golf course. Then after four years the only thing remaining is your family name becoming synonymous with sex trafficking and sugar babies dot com.

Unbelievable self own.

he's the literal definition of failson

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Maryland govax trip report, 1430 really means you're going to be waiting an hour to get in lol

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Georgia can hold more fire I think

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sarah posted:

Holy poo poo that is a stressed cat.

Stadiums are loud and bright

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

His future pacemaker hopefully will lay a consistent beat.

god drat

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Owns

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I would try to pet the forbidden scaly bodega catte

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

pmchem posted:

EVE is a terrible game that people let take over their lives and lol at the idea of the DoD learning anything from it.

The DoD would absolutely take lessons from EVE, unfortunately.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bump stocks are dumb and should be regulated but it shouldn't be done via EO/executive fiat.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

So are they doing this pistol brace thing via EO or an actual bill?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Neither right now.

ah so they're just alienating voters then. cool.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:shobon: hi buddy how you doing?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gunny engaging in self-flagellation I see.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Squirtle is trending on Twitter. Do not investigate.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

This comment made me think of the joke someone posted (probably accurate) of a fictional Command Master Chief visiting a suicide attempt sailor in hospital and asking if he completed his suicide awareness training and I got a good laugh to myself

McNally posted:

The master chief walked awkwardly into the hospital room, the combination hat in his hands slowly being turned in circles as he unconsciously showed his nervousness. When he realized what he was doing, he set it on the chair by the door and stepped over to the young petty officer's bed. He took a glance at the notecard in his hand and tried to speak, but his voice caught. He took a breath, cleared his throat, and tried again.

"Hey there, shipmate," he said, forcing a smile onto his face. "I heard you're having a rough time." His eyes moved to the bandages on the sailor's wrists, wrapped all the way up to his elbows. Down the block, not across the street, he thought. drat. He glanced at the notecard again. Words from above. The answers he sought.

"Have you completed suicide awareness training?"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kesper North posted:

The gently caress was Denmark even supposed to do lmao, the Germans came in dressed as tourists and played a bunch of Little Green Man games

That moron is also just completely ignoring the fact that Sweden was playing neutrality games by claiming to be neutral but gladly providing Nazi troops passage across Sweden, and also engaging in lucrative trade deals with the Nazis. You really don't need to invade when you have a country that is rolling over to make you happy.

I believe it was explained as "At the beginning of the war, Sweden was neutral towards the Axis, at the end of the war Sweden was neutral towards the Allies."

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sacrist65 posted:

I don't really know what to think of this clip because alot of the context is lost in the editing.

What the clip maybe doesn't show is the LT had been stopped long enough for backup to arrive, so maybe he was refusing lawful orders for a while at that point? Declining to provide license and registration, that sort of thing?

Before i get dogpiled, all im saying is clickbait like this is edited for maximum outrage / algorithmic distribution. Right Wing Media does this poo poo all the time. Maybe I'm wrong but I would reserve judgement until seeing the entire footage.

Christ it's a couple pigs deciding they didn't like the look of a black military officer and deciding to show him whose boss because that's all their little pig brains can think about. Ain't a lot of more context needed.

They won't get in trouble because it's Virginia.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sacrist65 posted:

Yea, I'm getting a bad case of Poe's law on this one.

Are you saying you can't tell whether I'm being satirical or serious? Lemme clear it up for you, it was a bad stop, the cops acted improperly, and if the person they stopped was white the cops would have been drooling over the LTs boots.

Yeah the ride the lightning reference was probably to getting tased but it's kinda a little off because both officers have their 9mm handguns drawn, not tasers. I have no loving idea why they have their handguns drawn(it's because he's black and thus, scary/dangerous), there's no loving reason to have their weapons drawn at all, even if the subject is passively noncompliant you don't escalate to brandishing your loving sidearm at them.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 10, 2021

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sacrist65 posted:

How do you know that?

All cops are bastards. Any cops who don't directly act like this provide cover for cops who do.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Also since it's the army they won't stick up for the soldier and his command will find some way to blame him for it, and kill his career lol.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

If someone pulls a gun on you, assume they’re going to use it. Its basic firearm safety 101 taught in every firearm course imaginable, including what cops learn in “training.” Don’t point a firearm at anything you don’t intend to destroy.

With that in mind, you can 100% assume intent because that’s what they’ve been “trained” to do.

Now answer this: what was the driver doing to deserve deadly force?

Literally driving while black.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sad King Billy posted:

So I've started to see this image pop up on my Facebook with the attached message...

"Don't worry sir, we'll look after your wife." This of course refers to Prince Phillip, whom the BBC is reminding me every 5 minutes died yesterday.

I hate this fawning obsequiousness and also note that the image is surely an American soldier, not British.

You can't expect British people to know what service rifle British soldiers are issued, because hell they probably don't even know what guns are besides scary boom sticks since guns are illegal in Britain. They probably google image searched "kneeling soldier clip art" and stuck it over the Union Jack because why the hell not.

The kind of person who would make this image and post it on social media is not the brightest light bulb in existence.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 10, 2021

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sacrist65 posted:

Thats a good point. And it yea it seems like a bad stop and those cops should face consequences. Also we're all consumers of an industry that makes money off how angry the news makes us. All of these things can be true.

Stop trying to be Mr. Gotcha, rear end.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Within 10 seconds, my arm was sore, I could feel it in my fingers. About 45 minutes later, just the upper arm is sore. I took a tylenol and am soothing my soul with fried chickens and jojoes.

Also dabs. Went to the weed store on the way to the clinic.

But did it rewrite your DNA to pick up 5G signals

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/NaveedAJamali/status/1380856724454834176?s=20

so who wants to be the cop defender for these racist-rear end podunk hick pigs, "lets just let put this whole pepper spray thing behind us"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

its like the gently caress you just deployed loving OC in my face eat both sides of my asscheeks I will see you in court

E: Also lol at the EMS trying to excuse away the cops deploying OC, gently caress.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 10, 2021

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

Down south, they're not limited to just hassling POC. It's certainly a strong preference, but they will absolutely turn the eye of sauron on anyone who crosses them, with impunity.

Washington shmashington, the county sheriff now that's a man who can destroy you.

Yeah a southern state county sheriff is an elected king basically, they do what they want, when they want, and answer to no-one. It's the ultimate power-trip position. They love to gently caress up POC, and look out for them in order to try to intimidate them, but if you cross them it doesn't matter your skin color, they'll gently caress you up just the same, since there's basically no oversight into how county sheriffs run poo poo, since they're not a police department per se, they're "lawmen".

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

no, no we do because we had every loving opportunity to NOT be in this situation.

however The Coward Douglas Ford left everything including the 800 pound gorilla on the table for far, far too long. Fully responsible for all of this.

Would the coke addict Rob Ford have done any better though?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyU6NtwspLM

WRT Egypt Egypting, the MV Ever Given crew could get hosed over like this guy. He's been stranded off the coast of Egypt since May 2017 because the shipping company abandoned him and the Egyptian government basically tricked him into signing as the guardian of the ship, and are holding him and his passport hostage until the ship is sold.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

His situation is completely hosed, but it isn’t exactly the same as the Ever Given. He’s on an old oil tanker that is empty. The Ever Given is a newer ship with a massive amount of cargo onboard. There will be no problem finding a buyer for it.

They could try to sell the cargo separately to try to extract more money from the impoundment of the ship, unless there's a law in place that says that the cargo cannot be sold separately. Odds are someone on the ship is going to get hosed real good by this and be stuck on a rusting empty hulk like Mohammed there.

The mariners on ever given might be helped a little more than Mohammed though because they probably have functional embassies that exist somewhere in Egypt, and hopefully the diplomats assigned there can get poo poo in gear quicker than 4 years. Mohammed is hosed though cause lol Syria.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 14, 2021

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Oil tanker?

Was going to say, yeah the deck looked like it had attachment points for cargo containers, and not the pumping equipment you would expect on a tanker.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

If the US collapsed, what would happen to the US Dollar and how would the wealthy people still get off with only mild inconvenience?

E: this is all probably just thought experiments

USD would immediately evaporate to be replaced by EUR or RMB as the world reserve currency, unless it set off a chain collapse of the entire world economy. Wealthy people would continue to be wealthy, everyone else would be hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Volkova III posted:

baleet th poleet

Same tbh