Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

The Water Wars are starting a few decades earlier than I thought they would. Just lump them in as part of the GWOT (global war on thirst).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Untagged posted:

Are there any specifics anywhere of how this would potentially work? Like loans before a certain date, or for a certain degree level, etc.

Say for example, instead of piecemeal paying for graduate classes one at a time when able hoping it all works out, could someone go and take out a loan for the rest of it now and have a chance at it being forgiven? Because that would be nice.

Whatever the details are now (if there are any), expect them to be hammered into oblivion and look completely different by the time it passes.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

I just saw a WSJ article that said “water is the new oil in space” and that’s all I need to confirm we will be fighting full blown wars over water soon.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Knowing nothing about either one of these people, I imagine I’ll vote against you if you’re lovely enough that your immediate family would railroad you like this.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
At this point I am exhausted of this story. Jfc.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/theblaze/status/1377757945576878080?s=21

when your whataboutism point of reference is genocide, you might be on the wrong side of history.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Carteret posted:

Anyone know where my friend's mom is getting the idea in her head that the Covid Vax only lasts 6 months? All he got out of her was "THE NEWS" but that was the first I heard about it.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/01/health/pfizer-covid-vaccine-efficacy-six-months-bn/index.html

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
This isn’t current anymore but it made me lol

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Someone tries to run the barrier every few years (or paraglide in or whatever that one dude did) so that means the country is healing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/jama_current/status/1378029465289244673?s=21

Just the flu bro

Just the flu

The worst flu in 100 years

But just the flu

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CainFortea posted:

So, if the person hopped out with a knife, and 2 cops were shot, I guess we know who shot the cops then.

The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun...

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Put this poo poo on prime time ffs PLEASE

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don’t think the NBA All Star Game matters much to the GOP but it impacted their bathroom bill in North Carolina.

Yeah Atlanta has a lot of minorities and poor people but Atlanta is loving huge and has a lot of everything, even affluent as gently caress old rich white dudes.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Most of gip, however:

*sees a wolf*

Wow that’s the biggest doggo I’ve ever seen.

I shall boop the snoot.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Give another agency rescue items instead of the swat team imho

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I’m here for Lil Nas X’s trolling.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is a metastasis of the old "the flu shot makes you sick/gives you the flu" bullshit.

Every time I've gotten into this argument with anyone, pre-COVID, that is, they always front as if it was *them* who "got really sick once," but if/when you press, it always becomes "a friend of a friend of a friend" or some horseshit like that.

There's also a healthy amount of "them doctors think they're so smart," too.

But you also can't discount the worst anti-vax motivation, which is "people give me attention when I say I'm not getting the vaccine. If I get the vaccine people will stop trying to convince me to get it."

I have a theory that most people who say they have had the flu actually just got a really bad cold or some type of respiratory infection or strep throat or something.

I’ve maybe had it once? Maybe?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

facialimpediment posted:

On the vaccine topic:

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1379117524026015751?s=19

There's a solid chunk of the country that will simply not give a flying gently caress about scientific research and data. So they're looking for whatever or whoever confirms their bullshit, which is usually randos on Facebook in a chicken-or-egg cycle of bullshit. Throw on top of that:

I think the media would rather report on this as the next segment of “America, the insane reality show starring insane people” than to, I dunno, fill the loving void left by the media.

I know that the press being free is paramount to democracy but the general standards of operating really need a close look.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

lightpole posted:

Its just a rapid reversion to the mean. Late human history is an anomaly in terms of intelligence.

I think inertia has us regressing below the mean.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It was stated by Anthony Fauci a few weeks ago at a senate hearing that we would make our vaccine supply available to other countries once we reach an acceptable level of vaccination.

What that means in execution is anyone’s guess.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

wins32767 posted:

Moderna's mRNA tech was developed prior to COVID, as was BioNTech's. And I'm not sure how the waiver applies in this case? Are you saying the drugs aren't actually safe?

EUAs are not approvals.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

wins32767 posted:

I'm aware. What's your larger point?

Christ you’re insufferable. You were responding directly to a comment about how it isn’t approved. That’s literally how the waiver applies. Which is what you specifically asked about.

wins32767 posted:

Moderna's mRNA tech was developed prior to COVID, as was BioNTech's. And I'm not sure how the waiver applies in this case? Are you saying the drugs aren't actually safe?

Here’s a visual for you.

Stop being argumentative.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 6, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
As Ayrton Senna famously said, “if you no longer go for a grift that exists, you are no longer a grifting politician”

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/yahoofinance/status/1379735895046299648?s=21

Dang. Thoughts and prayers tho.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ASAPI posted:

The link is dead.

Are they trying to say that the poor, poor daytraders are going to lose money because the little guy has a few bucks to spend?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/whats-good-for-america-might-be-bad-for-stocks-morning-brief-095920705.html

quote:

And these firm data points help bring into focus an idea that has been percolating through the Morning Brief in recent weeks, which is that what is good for the U.S. economy and daily life normalizing after the pandemic shock might not be great for markets. These data also serve as another way to say, as we did last week, that what has been working over the last year might not work in the months ahead.

At this point, the bullish narrative of a recovering/reopening economy is very much the consensus view," Morgan Stanley's Mike Wilson said in a recent note. "That doesn't make it wrong, but markets are discounting machines and may already reflect the recovery from last year's sharp recession."

For the last year, we've chronicled the various ways markets have remained focused on prospects for an economic recovery and an associated bounce in corporate profits. Surges in the virus, the expiration of fiscal stimulus, and questions over the outcome of the presidential election, among other concerns, all at various points presented investors with serious questions about the health of the market rally.

The response from strategists and the market's action suggested that so long as the future looked better than the present, these worries could be shaken off. But with these anticipated surges in economic growth now coming to pass, the question facing investors is where the next leg of growth comes from.

And more good news — let alone news that shows growth moderating just a bit — might not cut it.

Pandemics: bad for business.

Also bad for business: fixing pandemics.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1379833506986033153?s=21

Current event: dinosaurs are not extinct.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Alex Jones happened upon the most inept kidnapping crew of all time.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

bulletsponge13 posted:

Gonna guess CTE was a contributing factor.

I asked my wife to get my brain checked after I die. I've already got TBI, and I'll never know, but it will be done closure for my kids

I would 100% bet on CTE and it makes me glad I bruised my kidney when I was playing in 9th grade and never played again.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Lotta Scrooges in this thread I tell you h-wat

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Amazon employees in Alabama voted to not form a union.

In other news, Americans are running out of noses to cut off and faces to spite.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Any “club” that is catered towards military people is probably not worth visiting.

Just look at gip.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Sacrist65 posted:

Bootlicking

If someone pulls a gun on you, assume they’re going to use it. Its basic firearm safety 101 taught in every firearm course imaginable, including what cops learn in “training.” Don’t point a firearm at anything you don’t intend to destroy.

With that in mind, you can 100% assume intent because that’s what they’ve been “trained” to do.

Now answer this: what was the driver doing to deserve deadly force?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I’ve been in firefights and kept my wits about me. I did not keep my wits about me when I got robbed and someone put a gun in my face.

Expecting people to act a certain way when they are staring down the barrel of death, to me, is just manipulating the situation to make deadly force justifiable.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
You’ll be hard pressed to convince me they weren’t Weekend at Bernie’sing Philip. Dude was a corpse every time I saw him in the last few months.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

I don’t see what’s so funny

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Maybe they are in Texas’s power grid

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Crab Dad posted:

It’s been pointed out it’s legal in that state.

Philando Castile was a licensed gun owner.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
So GG is a pedo. Got it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Just a whoopsie doodle could happen to anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Godholio posted:

And this:

Do you not know what nuance is or do you think “second amendment crowd” might refer to a specific group of fanatical gun owners? You’re not always being attacked, man.