Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Godholio posted:

I won't have a chance to use it for a couple of months anyway (I live in a city with a fuckton of light pollution, and my camping truck isn't close to ready). But I should probably start researching so I can narrow it down to a few options or features.

What sort of stuff do you want to look at? Light pollution is not always a problem. I live near DC and do astrophotography and it's mostly fine. Planets are visible just about anywhere (horizon is usually the issue) and of course the Moon is doable regardless.

The amateur astronomy thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3155317

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Godholio posted:

^That's a good point. I'll start looking into things now.

Well, that's a thread I didn't know about, thanks!

I want to look at everything, and Las Vegas is just hazy and bright.

I feel you, but you'd be surprised what's possible (even just with visual).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4AGAXEVd4zWiHtEw7 is most of my astrophotography, almost all done here in MD except for some Milky Way stuff shot out in Colorado (where it was just amazing).

Platystemon's advice about starting with binocs is good too. That is the usual recommendation for a starting point so you don't go blow hundreds of dollars on a scope. Or, you can step up into a 8" Dobsonian, they're easy to use and fairly cheap. It's really only when you get into the high-fidelity tracking and photography aspects that things get stupid expensive.

Crab Dad posted:

Ever make it to one of the open nights for the telescope at the USNO?
I didn't know they did open nights - I remember thinking once it would be a cool place to visit, and I do have a CAC... just don't know anyone there. Maybe I should find some PNT related work.