Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

facialimpediment posted:

The best part here is that the crowd is making the proper noises at the proper times.

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1378198648878739456

:lol: they're booing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Page one was depressing and annoying, because of the situation as described and snarky goons, respectively. Then page 2 happened. :stare:

efb
I wonder what his new forums name is

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 4, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

Dude is 68 right now, it’s gonna be amazing when he dies.

It's going to be a more dangerous level of uncertainty than 1991.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

piL posted:

There is no good car analogy.

Maybe a gun analogy?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I just want you to know, good luck, we're all counting on you.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/stephanwozniak/status/1380735027579867138?s=20

The only good thing about NextDoor is that it prompted something like this; also good for finding out which of your “neighbors” will be most likely to form a fascist death squad.

Weed smells like poo poo, hth.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Flying_Crab posted:

I don’t hate this idea. Small military branch (possibly a third strictly National Guard aligned branch for Title 32 v. Title 10 reasons?) fully under UCMJ that handles armed LE stuff only to the extent absolutely necessary such as violent felonies, active shooter situations, major event security, etc. but does not respond to calls that don’t ordinarily require an armed response. The FBI can stay in their current investigative/CI role. All other normal state/local LE duties are replaced by social/medical workers, parking checkers or unarmed state investigators. etc.

Yes, a nationally empowered locally operating police force under direct control of the president. This is a wonderful idea.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yup, gun owners are all chuds.

Never change, thread.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

RFC2324 posted:

No one said that

All anyone said is that cops are scum

And this:

fknlo posted:

I really do love the second amendment crowd constantly masturbating over the mere possibility of someone having a gun being more than enough justification for execution on the streets by agents of the state.

Edit: Well that was two pages ago. :/

Godholio fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 12, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

Do you not know what nuance is or do you think “second amendment crowd” might refer to a specific group of fanatical gun owners? You’re not always being attacked, man.

Maybe it's the decade or so of similar bullshit that was in here before that's left a bad taste in my mouth for phrases like that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

fknlo posted:

It's the people that won't shut the gently caress up about guns and base their entire identity around them that have zero issue with the police gunning down someone that might plausibly be armed and will use it as justification for the execution. They know it's not going to happen to them and they cheer it on.

So most conservatives at this point.

Now, that I buy. "The second amendment crowd" includes a whole lot of non-conservatives now, and gun ownership expanded quite a bit over the past four years well beyond ^them.

Edit: I'm good with moving on.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Almost like capitalism bad

You think this started in the 1800s? :lol:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I definitely think it was exacerbated, yes. Almost as if it leads to outcomes of increased inequality

It has nothing to do with capitalism. They can both be bad, but it doesn't mean they're tied together.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Okay, explain to me how Capital using capital to lobby in the interests of Capital has nothing to with capitalism, please, because you've lost me.

It's this, friendo:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think that there's a lot of people that use "capitalism" as a critique of a lot of stuff that is really more the result of greed and shortsightedness, which are traits that go back to the dawn of human history. Capitalist economic systems obviously and openly reward greed and shortsightedness, but it's far from an exclusive feature of that system, and in other systems those traits often simply manifest in different ways.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Really diving into pedantry to give Capital a pass

It's not pedantry, you're just flinging poo poo at walls.

Edit: Lobbying specifically has expanded greatly in the modern era, but it both predates capitalism and the US significantly and has replaced a great deal of other forms of corruption.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

Just :lol: if you focus more on the gasoline that is thrown on the fire and not the candle that it was thrown on.

The room is on fire and people are trying to blow out the candle.

Edit; Maybe that's what you're saying? I'm not sure.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

I’m saying that who cares when bribery and corruption were *~*founded*~* when capitalism has been a firehose of gasoline on the corruption fire. I don’t give a poo poo that in the 1600s the guy with the most oxen had the most power because I live in 2021, under capitalism.

What even is your argument? Because it seems like you’re being pedantic just to be right and make someone else wrong. “Well actually, centuries ago...”

My argument was that he made a bad post. I'm not surprised you're here to defend it.

If you want to fix a problem it helps to understand the problem. "lol capitalism sux" isn't a solution, nor is abolition of capitalism. It might solve some problems, but the biggest ones will just shift into some other slightly different form because capitalism isn't the root of the problem...it's a system that evolved to take advantage of extant circumstances, and that is not loving pedantry.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 15, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

I wonder how someone is expected to respond to a constructive post like this....?

I know..

You were being a pedantic poo poo.

I was editing.

Reminder that this is the "constructive post" you're defending:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

E: nvm. Godholio you’re a pedantic poo poo and you are that way so that you can find disagreement to be right about. It’s infuriating and you do it all the time in this thread.

This is the post you're defending:

Edit: Ok, I didn't realize who you were. gently caress you Cole, after the bullshit in our last conversations on the side you don't get to pull that poo poo. gently caress off forever.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 15, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I thought you were kidding

:lol:

That translation of Beowulf loving owns, by the way.

ZombieApostate posted:

I don't disagree with you. I just like that you inherently have to make a case to impeach. I know most republican voters won't care that their case is bullshit if they were to impeach a liberal justice. But at least they'll look like morons trying to make it. And maybe it would fire up democrats to vote them out.

Expanding the courts feels like it would immediately devolve into a recursive cycle of each side expanding the courts whenever they get the chance.

I dunno, I'm tired, my brain is getting smoother the longer I stay awake and maybe I'm just not explaining myself very well, heh.

Nah, I completely agree with you. It's one more step down a really lovely path with no actually good options.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

GoGoGadget posted:

Lincoln packed the Supreme Court, didn't he? Didn't cause an unending downward spiral then, why would it now?

Lincoln packed the court in that he filled several vacancies. He didn't increase its size by 50% to dilute the opposition's power. Back then SC justices also held court in their "home" circuits (which they were gradually weaned away from over the next half century until the District Court system was established in the early 20th century). FDR wanted to add seats, but it didn't work out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Not a chance in hell.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I haven't deleted my vaccine appointment confirmation emails simply for an additional layer of proof.

I hadn't thought of this, but it's a good idea.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Grip it and rip it posted:

We are bouncing people for discussing their opinions on a discussion board?

Well, he went from being generally in agreement with the group on police violence to, in this one particular situation, having viewed the video and possessing some knowledge of training, disagreeing. So I guess yeah.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

shame on an IGA posted:

where do you poor bastards live that there's no Yuengling

Anywhere west of the Mississippi, until recently.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Flikken posted:

Anywhere west of the Mississippi has no Yuengling

In September they announced a distribution deal with Molson Coors. :)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Thank god we're not using that firefighting plane that was only 80% as effective as it should've been.

Yes, this is much better.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They probably still won't.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Grip it and rip it posted:

She's also massively popular so I don't think the DNC is going to rush to gently caress her over until they find a real reason to

efb refresh those tabs, kids

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, them getting rid of AOC would basically alienate a large portion of the voting populous they need to win.

We are talking about the Democratic Party.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

In college I knew a fruitarian. Weird motherfucker, not particularly useful in class. When asked how he was still alive, the answer was "I have to take a lot of supplements."

Edit: He was one of these: "Some fruitarians will eat only what falls (or would fall) naturally from a plant: that is, plant foods that can be harvested without killing or harming the plant."

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 27, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

KirbyKhan posted:

He traveled as far as the opposite side of the park.

Not quite.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Texas wants to speedrun that Secession goal again.

I'm fine with it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Volkova III posted:

We understand it just fine, thank you. What fucks us up as children is being told that we're just confused, and being denied information. If I understood that transitioning was an option, I would have done it then, and I would have fought like hell until I got to, instead of having to do it fifteen years after the irreparable damage done to my body by going through the wrong puberty.

You're correct, it's something you can't understand - so maybe don't speak for trans children.

Maybe attacking someone expressing interest in continuing to learn about something and making a baseless accusation isn't the best way to have a constructive dialogue and win people onto the side of moving this issue in the right direction.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Midjack posted:

It would bring it into the daylight at least. It's happening at all levels and part of the reason a bunch of nasty poo poo gets used is because it's not screened for. If it was permissible then there would be incentive to use safer stuff so you'd have a longer and more lucrative career. We've already proven that prohibition doesn't work, why keep pretending it does?

Because the bold part isn't going to solve the problem...people will use whatever they feel they need to, ignore any advice that gets in the way, etc. Look at Cam Newton returning WAY earlier than he should've after covid knocked him on his rear end (or any of the other athletes who returned too early after injury/illness). Lawrence Taylor was on cocaine for almost every game of his career, certainly there were less risky options available. McGuire and Sosa were household names before they juiced to the moon to chase the HR record.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

https://twitter.com/edballs/status/1387426585196875776?s=20

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

My next few major purchases are all planned out, but this thread is making me wish a telescope was higher on the list...probably towards the end of the year, barring anything unexpected. I'm not far from places with extremely low light pollution and I want to actually start taking advantage of it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I won't have a chance to use it for a couple of months anyway (I live in a city with a fuckton of light pollution, and my camping truck isn't close to ready). But I should probably start researching so I can narrow it down to a few options or features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^That's a good point. I'll start looking into things now.

hannibal posted:

What sort of stuff do you want to look at? Light pollution is not always a problem. I live near DC and do astrophotography and it's mostly fine. Planets are visible just about anywhere (horizon is usually the issue) and of course the Moon is doable regardless.

The amateur astronomy thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3155317

Well, that's a thread I didn't know about, thanks!

I want to look at everything, and Las Vegas is just hazy and bright.