Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

orange juche posted:

The big one is the northwest spot, because that means that potentially if those troops aren't in Belarus for wargames, and are there for actual war, then the whole strategy's different and it's not just a play for the eastern half of Ukraine, but a play for the whole smack. I'm spitballing but if it's right that's real bad.

Need to distract from unrest at home with foreign adventurism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Is this about kipping pull ups or the fact that crossfit is a stupid cult?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

I am under the impression Russian aggression was largely hidden from the citizens as it isn't actually that popular. This includes hiding combat deaths from families and the public. If that's the case, I'm curious how a full blown invasion would play out. I wouldn't think Ukraine has to win in that case?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah those are basically the big questions of the current times - what can you do or say to the people that are skeptical in bad faith? For how long do you humor the people that are skeptical in good faith? How the gently caress can you tell the difference between the two? What makes a good-faith skeptic to get manipulated into facebookland and use that as a legitimate source?

Skepticism of government is good, but the alternative lately is this:

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1379494549135966217?s=19

Its just a rapid reversion to the mean. Late human history is an anomaly in terms of intelligence.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

wins32767 posted:

I'd be more onboard with thinking that this is a moral argument if other countries weren't trying to get the best, most technically sophisticated vaccines for local manufacture at the same time as saying that they want to keep the IP. The AZ and J&J vaccines are much easier to make and just as effective at preventing deaths, why insist on Moderna and Pfizer like South Africa has been doing?

The best drugs should be made readily available worldwide. There is no justification for IP.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

wins32767 posted:

IP (temporary monopolies) is how drug development investment is incentivized in the current configuration of the world. I'll happily advocate for different approaches (say bounties), but absent that it's a bad idea to knock the legs out from under the folks who built a great tool for helping cure a lot of different diseases. That's how you end up with less effective treatments, not more. Malaria, which is a scourge of most of the poorer countries in the world is very likely going to be curable with the mRNA tech. Nobody invests hundreds of millions dollars on tech moonshots if you can't make back at least that much.

They're also trying to become a biotech powerhouse and getting their hands on brand new broadly applicable world class tech is a quick way to do that. There is a broad middle ground between "we give you all the best tech that is widely applicable outside of COVID" and "everyone dies" and there are plenty of reasonable compromises to be made. I don't think it's helpful to the process of finding those compromises to turn it into a black and white moral issue when the situation has plenty of gray.

Those drugs were developed with a large amount of public research and investment. Merck, Moderna, Pfizer, and JnJ are just vehicles to get the drugs out there. Those drugs are still operating on a waiver in the interest of the public, they aren't actually fully approved.

Furthermore, drug companies say things such like the high costs paid by rich world consumers are due to the high costs of development that poor countries can't afford. Its just another mechanism to extract rents and milk profit. Demanding an RoI and withholding lifesaving measures from vulnerable populations is not justified, is not in the public interest, and absolutely is a moral black and white situation.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

wins32767 posted:

Moderna's mRNA tech was developed prior to COVID, as was BioNTech's. And I'm not sure how the waiver applies in this case? Are you saying the drugs aren't actually safe?

It costs 1 billion dollars to get a successful drug developed, almost none of that development cost (as distinct from research) is government funded. Most compounds are not successful so because of that you need to make back more than a billion dollars in revenue on your successful drugs to fund the misses. Additionally, since drug development is so hard it's possible that you'll bust on many potential drugs in a row so you need your winners to really, really pay off. Here are pfizer's margins for the past 15 years or so (scroll to the bottom for the net margins), you can see their boom and bust cycle and they're a successful pharma company. There are a bunch of majors that busted out and went bankrupt because they had a long drought of winners. Pharma in aggregate is not crazy profitable, they're just solid businesses.

I can respect a view that no one should make money on healthcare, but just giving away drug IP for free in a vacuum doesn't make that happen and will limit future successful drugs making it to market. Systemic overhaul, sure! But getting all righteous about an action that may well create more suffering than it fixes (so long as it's in the future) is backwards in my book.

I was focused on the COVID drug, not mRNA.

I am well aware of biotech. Continuing to push a faulty business model is a poor choice when you are freely admitting there are other, better options or compromises.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

wins32767 posted:

I just confused you and lightpole. I'm not sure why the drugs being on a waiver applies to my argument and I was trying to understand why it was important.

Special dispensation for a product or company is given for extenuating circumstances and you appear to continue with the belief that the company owes nothing to the public for this and are justified in maximizing profits.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

I’d be down for this, but I looked it up and apparently I’m not eligible to join because my enlistment was spent stateside :rolleyes:

Merchant mariners have consistently been denied eligibility, its more about service elitism than anything else.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

PookBear posted:

Yes, but we're talking about the forever war era.

posted:

its more about service elitism than anything else.

Your war wasn't a real war, you can't join my club. This was literally the reason for the founding of VFW.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 9, 2021

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

PookBear posted:

hosed up that an organization for vets that fought overseas requires you to 1) be a vet 2) have fought overseas.

You should probably read up on the US merchant marine.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
People just want to gatekeep.

Edit: half the fun of being in your own little club is telling others they don't make the cut for X obscure reason.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 9, 2021

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

PookBear posted:

Like I'm not sure what you've done that makes you think you should qualify for belonging in a community for vets that fought overseas.

I've never claimed this? There's a line somewhere in the Persian gulf but that place is hot and I'm not bothering. WWII USMM were what I was talking about and are still excluded. I have no reason or desire.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Bored As gently caress posted:

If the cop had a taser on him, it's way more likely that he meant he'd switch to his taser and tase the LT.

Don't really need to look much further than Oscar Grant for this.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
My dads campus is doing the same thing. Mandatory is going to be a struggle until its approved and no longer under the EUA.

The government is the only one that can mandate it right? Although even if they can it would immediately go to court.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

We're getting 20k cases per day at only twice your population.
And we have a whopping 5 Million people fully vaccinated out of 80 million...

It's the middle of April.

:suicide:

COVID trajectory for most Western countries is hubris while cases in peer countries spike followed by an inevitable spike in own cases due to hubris.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

fknlo posted:

Whoopsie doodle, shot a guy. We all make mistakes.

How fast does she beat the manslaughter charge she might catch to try and keep things quiet?

Mehserle only got involuntary manslaughter, ended up with 2 years - time served so was only in for 11 months.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Meshka posted:

Lets assume your hypothetical world where law enforcement does not exist. Do you believe that everyone will act in the beat interests of society and others? Will some social worker go and have a chat every time some guy beats his wife? Assuming that all people are inherently good and will act that way without an enforcement mechanism is child like view of the world.

If you actually want to continue discussing this you should probably pull out objective research and statistics supporting your position. Until then, this sounds like the dumb sheepdog thing.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Meshka posted:

I am not saying everything is great, large and DoJ mandated reforms are absolutely needed. But you cant say things like we do not need law enforcement, it is needed in every society in all time periods. Model something new using some European practices, but it will take a long time.

What is the indication that society will collapse into chaos because everyone is inherently evil, other than your personal feelings, without the thin blue line?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Pilots are not liable for anything that happens :negative:

I think there's a bit more to it but FV will likely explain

Rule 2 is always in effect.

Also, they already declared general salvage and that thing isn't worth 1 billion so they probably just let them keep it.

And that was a good post Pook, that poo poo is too complex for me.

Edit: Evergreen doesn't own the Evergiven so they don't care.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 14, 2021

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

CainFortea posted:

I'd imagine that the amount of fuzzy language about bribes is proportional to how much leverage the speaker has to fight that bribery, or how much it impacts them.

Its a little tricky to evaluate bribes based on western cultural norms. The poorer middle eastern states usually saw them as a gift between friends that helped to smooth things out. This doesn't mean that endemic bribery doesn't enrich connected people or punish poorly connected people but focusing on it strictly in terms of black and white leads to the previous examples of zealous managers trying to stamp out bribery and rapidly finding the exit.

Changing cultural norms is one of the hardest things to do so while several packs of (American) Marlboro reds (the tobacco is better and they are worth more) may be perpetuating the status quo, I hope the damage is minor enough to not matter. The only way to avoid it or bigger sources of graft is to completely avoid certain areas of the world.

Edit: Maersk tried to institute a no bribery policy. In Egypt the tugs tried to snap $5000 lines, in India the black gangs raided the slop chest anyways and held up the ship for an extended period, Sri Lanka was smooth but I think the captain just gave them cigs out of the slop chest and used the crew fund to pay it, Pakistan see India, etc etc.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 15, 2021

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Almost 2200 Brooklyn Center MN about to pop off

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

poo poo is going down in Brooklyn Center. Assembly declared unlawful. Hosing down the crowd in OC. Spraying pepperballs. crowd is not budging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M25oERBxSg

I've been watching wokenet on twitch. The use of dispersal agents of all types hasn't stopped. They've definitely taken lessons from Oregon, unlike the 1/6 crowd. Have their umbrellas, protection, chemical neutralization all set.

Its past curfew now so police probably try and disperse soon.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

kraken! posted:

It's very cool and good that corruption is rare enough in the US that I don't expect to pay bribes as an individual, but I'm pretty sure a lot of that is just veneer. Haven't any of you ever had a sales rep take you out to lunch? That's basically the same deal, just with some different rituals to make things feel more palatable to us.

What does this extremely fox news headline looking phrase mean?

Port state as de facto organized crime.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

No see that’s different, because rich people do it.

Having dabbled in the lobbying game, let me tell you, poor people would have it a lot better if they could afford lobbyists.

I would say theoretically its different because its generally legal but I'm not really going to discuss that part. More curious if the erosion of public trust in the state and society still occur in that case, is it the legality of something, its perceived fairness, both, or neither that matter?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

That's not what I'm saying tho. I'm saying that lobbying as we know it is tied into capitalism and it is bad. I'm not saying that getting rid of political lobbying magically fixes any of the problems in our country, but that it contributes to increasing inequality and the shift of power away from people and into the hands of Capital.

How would lobbying disappear if the state controlled everything instead of private industry? China still has types of lobbying. Greed and corruption would be endemic to society as a whole, not tied to an economic or political system. It may be more evident or the symptoms might be different under communism.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

ASAPI posted:

I wonder how much we can peel away before it causes more harm than good? I'm having a hard time finding a study that looks at this.

The only similar thing I've heard of is that intersection in the UK (I think?) that got rid of the traffic lights and made it a traffic circle. Is there a country anyone is familiar with that works out fine with this? (other than active warzones?)

Theres a traffic engineers thread somewhere in these forums. Theres a lot of stuff on human behaviors in there that should answer a lot of your questions as they pertain to vehicles safely traveling on asphalt. I dont think they go into enforcement or control measures though.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Make it percentage of wealth and there's no problem.

Either way there's no reason to involve police. Mail the tickets or use unarmed traffic enforcement, no one needs to have their lives threatened over a moving violation.

YOU CANT TAKE A PICTURE OF MY CAR WHAT IF SOMEONE ELSE IS DRIVING IT MY FREEDOMS

Can just set warnings and take license after multiple. The point is to establish a pattern of offense before punishment. It might work but the reality is boilerplate punishments will disadvantage the poor over the rich.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 15, 2021

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

So you can just deliberately eject all the star athletes of affluent families every game for funsies. This is so ripe for malicious compliance until it finally hits the courts and get struck. Take a gross system and rub republicans face in it until the bullying finally gets through to them.

Genital inspections what the gently caress who writes that poo poo in holy gently caress

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Looks like the 50-60s version of the Willys.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I'm going to spend the day looking at old Jeeps now thanks

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

Maybe we can Balkanize and divide the country by anti vax and pro vax.

Given the people who are generally anti vax, we would never have to worry about them illegally crossing the border into the vaccinated lands.

yes we would

My union is already collecting info from vaccinated officers. The expectation is that requiring proof of vaccination for jobs is imminent. I dont see why that will not push out everywhere within 2 years at most.

Got my 2nd shot Thursday. Friday it felt like I was hit by a truck but I'm pretty much 100% today. Thank God thats over. I hope.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Bail reform is definitely needed, but getting rid of cash bail altogether without mandating that violent offenses aren't eligible for bail is a recipe for disaster. Look at how many people who have warrants out for violent offenses, and go on to commit further violent crimes. That poo poo just discredits (in the public's eyes) the entire "end cash bail" movement, which in reality is meant to make sure poor people arrested for Nonviolent or petty offenses aren't sitting in jail for months or years.

Getting rid of bail doesn't mean everyone goes free pending trial

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

The issue is that when you end cash bail, you also have to mandate incarceration for violent offenses, and especially repeat violent offenders.

I would think that part would be obvious. Its not an argument against ending cash bail.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

What thread is that since I aint clicking poo poo

Idiots on social media. Its sanitized at this point and fairly safe, unless you want to argue about ad hominem attacks limiting discourse, and something about FYAD bad.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

The food price index is at 125%, which I think is like the highest since 1974 or something?

Also lumber price is going to the moon as fast as bitcoin. The ups and down since the 1970's look like noise compared to current cost.

e;

Was going to say. Food inflation jumped a huge amount and was hidden by the fall in gas prices during COVID.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

It's pretty fun because you can check this stuff out yet the fed says inflation is only at 4 or 5% right now

Thought last meeting it was still under 3%. Its concentrated in certain areas which is why you don't see it. Sitting at home all the time makes people want to renovate.

Season was extremely dry with no snow pack so its going to be bad in fires, water availability and food production.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Honestly, I'd be surprised if the fraud aspect outweighed the benefits of the sheer simplicity and reliability of using physical cards to track this. Any digital method of doing it would have been by necessity thrown together at the last minute and would have a very high chance of loving something up - just look at how well the ACA website rollout went, and that was something they actually had time to plan for and develop. With a card you don't have to log in to a website or set up an account or try to get text message notifications working, you can just stick it on your fridge as a reminder for when your second shot is scheduled. There's a lot of unappreciated value in that.

Shot cards are common, there's just been no reason to ever fake them because who the gently caress fakes a vaccination

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think a transcript is needed. Chauvin's knee was on Floyd's neck for around four minutes after he was already dead. I don't think you really have to question much when you start with that fact. They also have a laptop so they can watch the videos and such again.

The law and trials work on a bunch of "well technically"s though so nothing is really certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

So this isn’t more evidence that the stock market is fraudulent from top to bottom?

Penny stocks are a poor metric and don't reflect reality. Its almost by fiat. Its extremely speculative.

Individual stocks or sectors may be overvalued due to human bias. As a whole, I don't think the market is too far off. The economic reality of asset returns is changing.