Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

His future pacemaker hopefully will lay a consistent beat.

this right here is the good stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Stultus Maximus posted:

They limit it to combat veterans only?

if you have an expeditionary medal you qualify. so anyone who was on a sub and went on a westpac or whatever the east coast ones are can get in.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
ftp

acab

smdftb

tyvm

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
that picture captures what it is to be a chud 100%

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
cops love slashing tires

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
1 conviction is a good start

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
DC - short for Dicked by Congress

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56829278

quote:

An Indonesian navy submarine has gone missing with 53 people on board, military officials say.

The submarine was conducting a drill north of the island of Bali on Wednesday, but it failed to report back and contact was lost.

Indonesia's military chief said warships had been dispatched to find the KRI Nanggala-402 vessel.

Officials have called on Australia and Singapore to help in the search. The countries have not publicly commented.

The German-made submarine is thought to have disappeared in waters about 60 miles (100km) off the coast of Bali early on Wednesday morning.

"[The navy] is currently searching for it. We know the area but it's quite deep," First Admiral Julius Widjojono told AFP news agency.

Some reports say contact was lost after the submarine had been given clearance to dive into deeper waters.

Another poo poo day for submarines

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Grip it and rip it posted:

Is it confirmed that 600m+ will implode a submarine of this class? I thought that kind of information was all pretty tightly controlled

Also with Russia - their economy has to be hurting pretty bad with the kinds of hits Covid has had on oil prices, right? Edit: yeah, according to RT this is the first month in a while they have shown any growth.

Math. Math says it would not survive.

Unless that boat was made out of materials that are normally used in certain russian sub construction and it went that deep its gone.

edit :
I didn't realize the test depth was so deep for that class. 500M is pretty deep.

It would be possible to be alive then yes. But I do not remember how deep our rescue craft can operate.

Test depth is the the deepest a sub can go and be able to emergency blow and get to the surface without propulsion. Crush depth is always deeper than that but not by a huge amount.

The biggest problem they will have is freezing to death if the pressure hull is intact.

ded fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 22, 2021

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Grip it and rip it posted:

They may also be running low on oxygen depending on how many crew members survived the impact, severity of damage control operations, what means of secondary oxygen production they have, etc etc. That's assuming they survived whatever casualty caused them to go deep and not blow to begin with.

o2 is very easy to produce. they should have lots of o2 candles on hand. lack of power however means no way to heat so they will freeze. this is all of course assuming that the people tank is not full of water.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

hobbesmaster posted:

Thats why I was asking if there was better info, theres other sources about that specific sub that claim only 250m but also had it changed pretty greatly after a recent refit. I don't know much about subs but is it possible that the base hull is significantly stronger than say all the sensors and everything it was outfitted with? ie, the German shipyard had this great sub down to 500m but Indonesia didn't need that so there was a cost down option for a bunch of stuff yet the main pressure hull is still the 500m one?

idk, just seems like theres an outside chance the math lines up for them.

If the refit reduced test depth from 500m to 250m it may just be that too much extra weight was added for it to reach the surface with an emergency blow. It may have had no effect at all with the actual crush depth.

edit : it was probably a bunch of hull cuts and modifications tho from the refit. if they are alive I hope a rescue is possible.

CainFortea posted:

Have any of these lost sub events ended well?

None that I can remember.

ded fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Don't forget Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe

that game sucked because it had auto turn if you banked at all