Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for March, 2021?
This poll is closed.
The Miz (FORMER WWE Champion) 7 7.69%
:anime: Bobby Lashley (WWE Champion) 4 4.40%
:stwoon: Kota Ibushi (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) 5 5.49%
:gitgudhorn: Hikaru Shida (AEW Women's Champion) 9 9.89%
:bustem: Keiji Mutoh (GHC Heavyweight Champion) 3 3.30%
:science: Jun Akiyama (KO-D Openweight Champion) 4 4.40%
:angel: Tsukasa Fujimoto (ICEx∞ Champion) 0 0%
:dance: Rich Swann (Impact Champion) 1 1.10%
:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Universal Champion) 0 0%
Suwama (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 0 0%
Asuka/VENY (Beyond the SEA Champion) 13 14.29%
:sweep: Kenny Omega (AEW Champion) 36 39.56%
:zerg: Rush (ROH World Champion) 0 0%
Sasha Banks (Smackdown Women's Champion) 0 0%
Shun Skywalker (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 2 2.20%
Utami Hayashishita (World of Stardom Champion) 1 1.10%
:grin: Too Mainsteam (None of the Above) 6 6.59%
Total: 91 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In February of 2021, for the first time since April of 2019, a WWE Champion won the poll to decide Punch Suplex (Tokyo Joshi) Pro's favorite/best champion for the month. Who was it who accomplished this astonishing feat? Drew McIntyre? Roman Reigns? Daniel Bryan? AJ Styles? No, it was... The Miz! Yes, despite 100 fake votes being removed from the poll following some weird stuff I don't entirely understand what happened, The Miz still won a clear victory with 74 of the 175 votes cast. And those were legitimate votes, every single person who voted was somebody whose vote counted, and the numbers spelled disaster The Miz! Fully 10 years since he won Champion of the Year in this very subforum, The Miz broke a long-standing drought for WWE for cashing in his Money in the Bank contract at Elimination Chamber. He also added to a long and storied tradition in these threads of months or years later people going,"Really? You guys voted for that guy as your champion?" and you can answer,"Yes! The Miz won the poll in February of 2021!"

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Asuka (Raw Women's) and Rika (TJPW Princess of Princess) did not defend their titles, and so have been dropped from the poll for this month (but another Asuka has been added as a trial!). The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone, feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

The Miz (FORMER WWE Champion) - The Miz tried to get out of defending his title against Lashley, got forced to defend it, and lost. Now he's dressing in a bunny suit and getting beaten up by a celebrity for Wrestlemania.

:anime: Bobby Lashley (WWE Champion) - Lashley forced The Miz to "pay" him for his help winning the title from Drew McIntyre by getting a title shot against him and winning the belt. He also beat him in a rematch a week later. Since then he has broken up The Hurt Business and started palling around with Baron Corbin to try and prevent having to face Drew McIntyre at Wrestlemania.

:stwoon: Kota Ibushi (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) - Ibushi was the subject of some minor controversy this month, as his insistence on physically uniting the IWGP Heavyweight Championship and IWGP Intercontinental Championship belts into a unified double-championship belt angered some who held the (beautiful) IWGP Heavyweight Championship belt in high regard. However God's mind could not be changed, and after a final successful defense of both belts against El Desperado in an incredible match at the start of the month, Ibushi unveiled the new IWGP World Heavyweight Championship belt at the end of the month. Ibushi was also the unmistakable end-goal of the New Japan Cup that ran through March, eventually resulting in the victory of Will Ospreay who insists that Ibushi's will not get to enjoy the new title belt for very long before he takes it from him.

:gitgudhorn: Hikaru Shida (AEW Women's Champion) - The magnificent AEW World Title Elimination Tournament culminated at AEW Revolution, where Hikaru Shida finally defended her belt against the winner of the tournament: the wonderful Ryo Mizunami. Shida came out on top in a Two-Country tournament she was largely credited with having put together, cementing once again her status as the top woman wrestler in AEW. There was of course the small matter of the blow-away Lights Out match between Thunder Rosa and Dr. Britt Baker D.M.D not long after that surely will have title ramifications down the line, but for now Shida remains on top of the world.

:bustem: Keiji Mutoh (GHC Heavyweight Champion) - Mutoh proved that his victory over Go Shiozaki in March was no fluke by defeating the future ace of NOAH, Kaito Kiyomiya for second time after outfoxing the man less than half his age by switching up his gameplan from legwork to armwork. Mutoh's next defence will be in Nagoya against one half of the tag team champions, Masa Kitamiya. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:science: Jun Akiyama (KO-D Openweight Champion) - Akiyama successfully defended his championship and avenged the most humiliating loss of his DDT tenure to date as he defeated Kazusada Higuchi to continue the ascendancy of old, bald men in CyberFight. Keen to prove that his place is in DDT now, Akiyama immediately laid down the gauntlet to the face (and rear end) of DDT, Danshoku Dino in a match which is unlikely to be like anything Uncle Jun has faced before. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:angel: Tsukasa Fujimoto (ICEx∞ Champion) - Fujimoto successfully defended her belt against Maya Yukihi at the New Ice Ribbon show at the end of March, beating the promotion's former Triple Crown Champion to retain her grip on the top belt at least a little longer. I hope I didn't just spoil this for GEORGE W BUSHI!

:dance: Rich Swann (Impact Champion) - Rich Swann found himself in an odd situation in March, as he fought to win a belt that doesn't exist anymore to unify it with the belt that replaced the now non-existent belt... and if he'd failed, the guy with the belt that didn't exist would have unified the belt that replaced it with the one that doesn't exist anymore! Yes, the fact the initials TNA are associated with this should come as no surprise. Rich Swann defeated Moose in an apparently very good match to unify the non-existent TNA World Heavyweight Title with the Impact World title at Sacrifice. Now the undisputed champion of Impact (again!), Rich Swann can concentrate on his upcoming Champion vs. Champion match against AEW's Kenny Omega.

:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Universal Champion) - After being made to tap by Daniel Bryan on Smackdown, Roman Reigns got his revenge by pinning Daniel Bryan on Fastlane to retain his title and his Wrestlemania spot against Edge.... thanks to special guest enforcer Edge beating the poo poo out of everybody including Bryan with a chair and leaving Roman to crawl over and get the win. This all blew up in his face when he and Edge both learned Daniel Bryan had been added to their Wrestlemania match as a Triple Threat, after Bryan requested facing the winner on the second night of Wrestlemania and Roman insisted that he would only work one night.

Suwama (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) - Suwama defeated YOSHI-TATSU on Night 4 of the AJPW Dream Power series to retain the Triple Crown. You may think that doesn't seem very unusual, and you'd be right... but it was a weird few days in Puro where some odd stuff happened and people started thinking,"What if things get even weirder?" They didn't though, and Suwama retains his title for another month.

Asuka/VENY (Beyond the SEA Champion) - Despite failing to win gold in the AEW Women's Championship tournament, Asuka still managed to come out of March with a brand new title belt. Targeting the vacant Beyond the SEA Championship because it "looks French", Asuka was able to add the championship to an already impressive resume in a fantastic match with Rina Yamashita. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:sweep: Kenny Omega (AEW Champion) - What should have been one of the great wrestling experiences of his life and another tick of the bucket list turned sour for Kenny Omega at Revolution. After an absolutely incredible Barbed Wire Exploding Deathmatch against former World Champion Jon Moxley, the big finale was set to be the ring exploding as Eddie Kingston turned face and tried to shield Moxley's beaten and unconscious body. Except... the explosion never came, despite multiple successful tests on the night itself the big final explosion just kind of... turned out to be a couple of puffs of smoke and some weak sparklers. It was all anybody could talk about, and Kenny had to pivot to an angle where he'd hosed up making the bomb and didn't want to admit it. They did their best with the gently caress-up, but it's just a shame that the excellent match was overshadowed by the dry, rattling fart of an ending. Kenny continued the month further developing the storyline of his friendship with Don Callis and the Good Brothers wrecking his relationship with The Young Bucks, with the hopes that everybody just kind of forgets the Exploding Wire Deathmatch which was supposed to be one of the most memorable matches of his career.

:zerg: Rush (ROH World Champion) - Rush successfully defeated Jay Lethal at ROH's 19th Anniversary Show, only for things to get hairy when Brody King debuted his new faction Violence Unlimited to put a beating on Rush and his own stable of La Facción Ingobernable (and Jay Lethal just for good measure). After getting through most of 2020 without title defenses due to the global COVID pandemic, Rush is back and itseems everybody wants a piece of him.

Sasha Banks (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Sasha Banks defeated Nia Jax in a 6 minute match at the start of March to retain her title, and then spent most of the rest of the month simultaneously feuding/tagging with Wrestlemania opponent Bianca Belair, and some bullshit with Carmella's sommelier having a crush on her or something.

Shun Skywalker (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - At the Dragon Gate Memorial Gate in Wakayama show, Shun Skywalker successfully defended his belt against KAZMA SAKAMOTO (old WWE fans might remember him as the valet of Lord Tensai - Matt Bloom/Giant Bernard - and if you do, I am very sorry and I'm sure he is too.

Utami Hayashishita (World of Stardom Champion) - Utami successfully defended her championship against tag team partner "Tall" Saya Kamitani in Stardom's Nippon Budokan debut in a great match that unfortunately felt like an afterthought sandwiched between the return of Yoshiko and an emotional main event between Giulia and Tam Nakano. Her next defence also sees her playing second fiddle to Giulia in the semi-main event at the Yokohama Budokan in a match that has already been overshadowed by her opponent Bea Priestley's controversial angle in another promotion. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:grin: You probably haven't heard of... (None of the Above) - There are 16 Champions from 12 different promotions on this list, yet I am sure there are some who feel slighted that a champion from their favorite promotion isn't on here. You can make your feelings known (or just your disinterest in the ones we have here, or if you just want to see the results) by voting None of the Above!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Somebody tell me why I should vote for your choice of Champion instead of Hikaru Shida (or high five me for my good taste) this month.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Jerusalem posted:

Somebody tell me why I should vote for your choice of Champion instead of Hikaru Shida (or high five me for my good taste) this month.

i think you should vote for my friend jun akiyama who despite being old as balls in CYBERFIGHT tradition keeps having banger matches and elevating talent all while being happy to lean into the extremely loving weird enviroment that is DDT.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That Akiyama match was definitely loving great (and the post-match stuff was great for very different reasons) and people should certainly check it out. Hikaru Shida organizing an entire tournament across two different countries just to find a worthy rival for her to then beat clean in a kickass match felt like it's own kind of special though.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

You make a compelling argument, but have you considered one Kenneth Omegaman?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

White Suit Shida is everything, so she gets my vote.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Anyone who doesn't vote for Kenny is a FOOL, that deathmatch was incredible.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Though to be fair a p big part of why I'm voting Kenny is actually Don Callis because holy poo poo they make a perfect team.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Kota Ibushi loses by default because of THAT belt.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I can't vote for Fujimoto because I'm not going to see her defence until after the poll closes, which sucks but I blame SamuraiTV. So my vote is down to Asuka, Jun Akiyama & Shun Skywalker. Here is my thought process

Asuka rules, but as much as her match with Yamashita ruled, & it did & you should go look it up & vote for it in the MOTY thread, I gave 3 title matches ****1/2 or above last month & this wasn't one. She'll have other months (Yoshiko is going to come back from injury sometime before too long & her against Asuka will be brutal. Asuka vs Nakajima will also be extremely good & hell, maybe Nanae will want to go for it).

Uncle Jun blew me away for the 2nd month in a row, his title defence against Higuchi was loving brilliant storytelling, him as the legendary outsider & Higuchi the homegrown star. I wouldn't go so far as to say he's defending DDT's honour because it's not that kind of outsider, but he certainly more than held up his end despite a relentless assault on his arm & a bucketload of Exploder suplexes, culminating in the wrist clutch version. If that match isn't in my top 10 at the end of the year then 2021 has been good to us from an in-ring wrestling perspective.

But. Shun Skywalker didn't just have a great match with KAZMA SAKAMOTO, there was also another title match at Champion Gate Night 2, defending against Kaito Ishida. A match that currently sits at #2 on my Match of the Year list, a match better than anything I've seen Shingo Takagi do in 2021, better than anything Tsukasa Fujimoto I've seen this year, better than Okada, Tanahashi, Fenix, Omega, Ueno, Shiozaki, etc. It's absolutely loving brilliant pro wrestling. Probably the best Dream Gate match I have seen since PAC defended against Kzy in the match that got me fully back on board with DG in Feb 2019. So I have to vote for Shun. Two top tier defences against drastically different opponents. Here's the match, watch it

If I was going to vote to tactically I'd probably go for Uncle Jun because more people watch DDT here so he'd at least have a chance but nah, this month was Shun Skywalker's month, and he's probably dropping the belt soon where as Akiyama will have other chances to win the poll. And more than this, Shun Skywalker was the best Champion of March 2021.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Voted Shun because his match against Ishida is my current match of the year.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Where is second ever Super Asia Champion Minoru Fujita

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

a cyborg mug posted:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if you guys vote miz again i swear to god

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

a cyborg mug posted:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Look, April Fool's day, ha ha, very funny, but you can pull the Miz out of that picture now and put whoever actually won in there

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

StarkRavingMad posted:

Look, April Fool's day, ha ha, very funny, but you can pull the Miz out of that picture now and put whoever actually won in there

nobody #stopedthesteal :(

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I will be voting Miz again to protest that the Miz won last month, you stupid bastards. This makes sense because shut up.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

utami

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Your arguments fell on deaf ears, I voted for Hikaru "Kiryu Kazama" Shida :hellyeah:

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
muta

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lamuella posted:

White Suit Shida is everything, so she gets my vote.

:hfive:

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

a cyborg mug posted:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Voting old man Mutoh so he can be forever next to the Miz

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Voting old man Mutoh so he can be forever next to the Miz

this is the path we’ve chosen

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
:lol: So there was all that debate bullshit over Miz getting the belt and whether he deserved it, and he lost it a week later? And immediately before Mania? bahahahahaha

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

a cyborg mug posted:

Jerusalem has chosen to fight on the side of Tsukasa Fujimoto in the Tsukka/Emi Sakura war and I respect that

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

a cyborg mug posted:

Forget it Jerusalem, this is Chocotown

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well close to halfway into the voting, Kenny Omega holds a strong lead but VENY/Shida are not out of reach of 1st place in their joint second place spot. Vote your vote, as last month showed, every vote counts!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

fez_machine posted:

Forget it Jerusalem, this is Chocotown

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
vote muta or be sad

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

WatermelonGun posted:

vote muta or be sad

Joke's on you I'm sad anyway.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Word around town from the cool kids is that some lame-o's haven't voted yet, and they're totally lame for not voting. But... it's not you, right? You voted, you're a cool kid, right? :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Scuttlebutt is that there is still time to vote, though the cool kids are getting increasingly irritated about keeping their books open so you better hurry up and vote before they declare you "a square" (I apologize for the harsh language)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sanity prevailed in March, as last months aberration was not repeated and WWE was sent back to their goldplated trashcan to fester some more. Instead, it was the AEW Champion Kenny Omega who took the month, his first time winning a monthly poll (by himself, in December of 2020 he shared the win with Go Shiozaki) since August of 2018. His closest competitor this month was Asuka/VENY, making her first ever appearance on the poll and making an impressive second place showing, even beating out AEW Women's Champion Hikaru Shida who had one hell of a month. Omega's run as the arrogant douchebag heel who is legitimately one of the greatest wrestlers of all time but insists on constantly cheating/getting interference assists from Don Callis and the Good Brothers made him the clear favorite for March. While who knows what April (traditionally one of the biggest months for wrestling in the year, especially for WWE) will bring, for March it was appropriately Kenny Omega who cleaned up the votes.

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

* No polls were held in the first three months of 2008. In 2020/2021, polls are being held to try and emulate who might have won in those months, though nobody will ever know for sure.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 6, 2021

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Fujita was robbed

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

delete the fake nigel reign image and use the previous one. it's not valid enough to even be an asterisk

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was against it but the whole idea was supposedly to get rid of the three blank spaces. Since there wasn't even enough interest to make a poll for the third missing month and the entire original purpose is negated as a result, I might as well just go back to the original three blank spaces, especially since they weren't ever going to be accurate to the 2008 mindset anyway.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Freaking woot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I would've just done a soft handoff if I would've known it would still be something that bothered people all these years later.