Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Literally Kermit posted:

I’m not entirely clear on how juries for big cases work, and it probably changes state to state: how many jurors and alternates are there for an active trial? Is “52” his overall all number in the section process, I presume?

Correct (per my understanding), he was interviewee #52 when selecting jurors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
:eyepop:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AndrewMannix/status/1387569118879039490

quote:

Leading up to Derek Chauvin's murder trial, Justice Department officials had spent months gathering evidence to indict the ex-Minneapolis police officer on federal police brutality charges, but they feared the publicity frenzy could disrupt the state's case.

So they came up with a contingency plan: If Chauvin were found not guilty on all counts or the case ended in a mistrial, they would arrest him at the courthouse, according to sources familiar with the planning discussions.

The backup plan would not be necessary. On April 20, the jury found Chauvin guilty on all three murder and manslaughter counts, sending him to the state's most secure lockdown facility to await sentencing, and avoiding the riots many feared could engulf the city once again.

Now, with Chauvin's state trial out of the way, federal prosecutors are moving forward with their case. They plan to ask a grand jury to indict Chauvin and the other three ex-officers involved in George Floyd's killing — J. Alexander Kueng, Thomas Lane and Tou Thao — on charges of civil rights violations, a source said.

If the grand jury votes to indict, the former officers will face the new civil rights charges on top of the state's cases, meaning all four could be headed toward yet another criminal trial in federal court.

This is in addition to both the pattern and practice (consent decree precursor) investigation and the trial for the other 3.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Paracaidas posted:

This is in addition to both the pattern and practice (consent decree precursor) investigation and the trial for the other 3.

You know, for all the poo poo about Biden being a milquetoast liberal and/or crypto-conservative, watching the federal government do this under his lead is pretty fun. Yeah, it ain't fixing all the problems, and I'm not going to say he's perfect, but goddamn it's a refreshing change.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Paracaidas posted:

:stare:

That is a, let's say, unusual measure by the DOJ.

by which i mean the "arresting chauvin" thing, but the rest also owns

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I for one am Glad the federal government is going to step in to white supremacist gangs in the police forces of this country.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do wonder if Jan 6 actually got through to them and Democrats realised the white supremacist cops literally want to kill them.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do wonder if Jan 6 actually got through to them and Democrats realised the white supremacist cops literally want to kill them.

Garland does seem rather motivated here.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Paracaidas posted:

This is not how things are done now, but this kind of response is pretty much exactly why civil rights charges exist at a federal level.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

PT6A posted:

You know, for all the poo poo about Biden being a milquetoast liberal and/or crypto-conservative, watching the federal government do this under his lead is pretty fun. Yeah, it ain't fixing all the problems, and I'm not going to say he's perfect, but goddamn it's a refreshing change.

Politics is the art of the possible, this is genuine reform in progress.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

That the Praetorian Guard stepped aside and let the mob in should be ringing every kind of alarm bell, I just really didn't think the Democratic political establishment still had the ability to process and respond to such stimuli.

While an inquisition would be the proper response to this, not incrementalism, making an example does work in this case where the nazi cops are lazy, spiteful, childish and stupid. Though would not be surprised to see cops retaliate against elected officials physically before the year- hell, the season- is out.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:stare:

That is a, let's say, unusual measure by the DOJ.

by which i mean the "arresting chauvin" thing, but the rest also owns

DOJ realized that the entire country would be up in arms if Chauvin got off and had a plan to possibly mitigate that. It wouldn't have worked, but it's nice to know that they had a plan to try.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That the Praetorian Guard stepped aside and let the mob in should be ringing every kind of alarm bell, I just really didn't think the Democratic political establishment still had the ability to process and respond to such stimuli.

While an inquisition would be the proper response to this, not incrementalism, making an example does work in this case where the nazi cops are lazy, spiteful, childish and stupid. Though would not be surprised to see cops retaliate against elected officials physically before the year- hell, the season- is out.

i mean i think the DOJ is slowly building cases and figuring out where everything went wrong and who hosed up and who activly sided with the traitors and such. that will take til at least 2022. the house wants to do it and probably will but the right keeps loving with the votes or some poo poo. idk.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the house wants to do it and probably will but the right keeps loving with the votes or some poo poo. idk.

The house majority can do anything it actually wants to do short of pass an act into law. If it’s. It getting don’t it’s not lack of capability...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bel Shazar posted:

The house majority can do anything it actually wants to do short of pass an act into law. If it’s. It getting don’t it’s not lack of capability...

probably. i think the worry is the GOP will gently caress up any kind of January 6th commission. plus i trust the DOJ's findings over the houses in general.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probably. i think the worry is the GOP will gently caress up any kind of January 6th commission. plus i trust the DOJ's findings over the houses in general.

Don’t invite them

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
If anyone here is interested, two of the prosecuting attorneys (Blackwell and Schleicher) did an interview with the local NBC station about the case here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMUnhOhYQG8. It's pretty interesting, to me, to hear about their approach and decisions made for how to handle the case.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Bel Shazar posted:

Don’t invite them

A house investigation's main purpose would be to help convince the public that this is how poo poo went down. If the GOP actively protests the investigation, then half the country will just decide it's the Dems being partisan hacks because our country is extremely stupid. Since it's now obvious that the GOP has no interest in investigating I'm good faith, there's basically no point to the house doing poo poo.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
The other cops that were involved in George Floyd's murder are going to have their trials broadcast, similar to Chauvin's.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...n-b1840363.html

Full story quoted because paywall

quote:

Some in the Minnesota legal system were apprehensive about allowing the live broadcast of Chauvin's trial over the killing of George Floyd but the video feed had no major problems and bolstered the public's understanding of the trial, Minnesota Public Radio News reported.

A spokesperson for the Hennepin County court system said an order from Judge Peter Cahill to allow the live broadcast will still apply to the August trial of the other three former Minneapolis officers charged in Floyd's death, Thomas Lane, J. Kueng and Tou Thao.

Cahill ordered the trials to be broadcast live because of the intense global interest in the case and limited courthouse space due to the pandemic.

Minnesota court rules usually ban cameras at criminal trials unless both sides agree to them. Although Chauvin's attorney quickly welcomed the live broadcast, Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison argued against allowing the live broadcast because he said it could intimidate witnesses.

But a week after the jury found Chauvin guilty, Ellison told WCCO-TV that the live broadcast “went pretty well" and he was grateful the judge allowed juvenile witnesses to testify off camera.

Cahill also barred jurors’ faces from being televised.

Hennepin County Chief Judge Toddrick Barnette said he was also a longtime skeptic of cameras in the courtroom. He met with journalists and media attorneys ahead of the trial and worked closely with Court TV, which operated the cameras and provided its video feed to other news outlets.

“Over time, I felt more comfortable that they were really interested in the integrity of the process, and worked very hard to make sure there were no violations of Judge Cahill’s order,” Barnette said.

Barnette said one of the biggest benefits of televising the trial was that the public learned about the process, from jury selection to the final verdict. Chauvin was convicted last week of second- and third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter. He’ll be sentenced June 25.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Velocity Raptor posted:

The other cops that were involved in George Floyd's murder are going to have their trials broadcast, similar to Chauvin's.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...n-b1840363.html

Full story quoted because paywall

Yea, I think livestreaming trials will become more and more common. It's just one of those things that everyone is too scared to try, but after it's finished everyone realizes that it works well. The interview I posted a few posts above with Blackwell and Schleicher had them talking about having cameras in the courtroom as well. Their takeaways was it didn't affect them in the slightest and only potential worries would be witnesses being intimidated by it for high profile trials.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I don't know Merrick Garland, but I hope he's the sort of man who holds a grudge and serves his revenge cold.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

mdemone posted:

I don't know Merrick Garland, but I hope he's the sort of man who holds a grudge and serves his revenge cold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrick_Garland#Early_career

he helped with alot of chud terror cases.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mdemone posted:

Everything I've seen from him is that he's exceptionally motivated to gently caress with racists. Almost breaking down in tears talking about how his grandparents fled pogroms in Russia and America gave them a chance, and we've got to give that opportunity to everyone.

He will gently caress them and he will enjoy doing it.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Lager posted:

A house investigation's main purpose would be to help convince the public that this is how poo poo went down. If the GOP actively protests the investigation, then half the country will just decide it's the Dems being partisan hacks because our country is extremely stupid. Since it's now obvious that the GOP has no interest in investigating I'm good faith, there's basically no point to the house doing poo poo.

They are actively doing that right now without a house investigation. Stop pretending you can engage with them and just accept they are wholly lost causes and move forward without them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bel Shazar posted:

They are actively doing that right now without a house investigation. Stop pretending you can engage with them and just accept they are wholly lost causes and move forward without them.

i mean also the DOJ is doing the same thing while also arresting alot of these fucks and hopefully will arrest some of the traitors in congress if evidence turns up. like i think their should be a january 6th comssion but its worthless if the GOP directly sabotage it.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Bel Shazar posted:

Right, and so there's no purpose to the house doing a commission because it'll either be a joke (if they let the GOP water it down) or ignored as partisan (if they tell the GOP to gently caress off and do it anyway). So might as well let the house do other poo poo and have the DoJ handle the investigation.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Lager posted:

Right, and so there's no purpose to the house doing a commission because it'll either be a joke (if they let the GOP water it down) or ignored as partisan (if they tell the GOP to gently caress off and do it anyway). So might as well let the house do other poo poo and have the DoJ handle the investigation.

So let me preface this by saying I agree completely with you that the GOP would sabotage it or call it partisan, or both.

That being said, I strongly reject your conclusion that there is no purpose. It’s their job. Check the friggin’ executive (which organized the directed the mob in question) and use the power of your offices to hold a spotlight on the mess that is our nation.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bel Shazar posted:

So let me preface this by saying I agree completely with you that the GOP would sabotage it or call it partisan, or both.

That being said, I strongly reject your conclusion that there is no purpose. It’s their job. Check the friggin’ executive (which organized the directed the mob in question) and use the power of your offices to hold a spotlight on the mess that is our nation.

i mean i think they will but i think they are waiting for the DOJ to get more info and get a rough outline first and etc.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i think they will but i think they are waiting for the DOJ to get more info and get a rough outline first and etc.
I'd like to wish that they're hoovering up all the small racists (like the guy that was livestreaming and saying "I'm just a citizen journalist!"), moving up to idiots like Ali Akbar, searching poo poo so they can get a DM or text from Green, Cawthorn, or any of the other nazis in congress.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

I'd like to wish that they're hoovering up all the small racists (like the guy that was livestreaming and saying "I'm just a citizen journalist!"), moving up to idiots like Ali Akbar, searching poo poo so they can get a DM or text from Green, Cawthorn, or any of the other nazis in congress.

thats my assumption. like we didnt know about gaetz stuff until like month and half ago and that had been going on for a year. we won't know poo poo about this stuff until we do.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ali Alexander is connected directly to the Mercers. It would be wild to see actual billionaires eat poo poo because their weaponized fascist agitator got out of pocket. I'm not holding my breath but it's nice to have #goals.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Chauvin's filed for a new trial

Reasons include the defense being meanies, the judge being wrong, and the media being very unfair to his witness. Barring that, the jury may have felt racially based pressure? :rolleyes:Phoneposting so RIP formatting

quote:

For an order granting a new trial, pursuant to Minn. R. 26.04, subd. 1, on the following
grounds: the interests of justice; abuse of discretion that deprived the Defendant of a fair
trial; prosecutorial and jury misconduct; errors of law at trial; and a verdict that is contrary
to law. The specific bases for this motion include, but are not limited to:
a. The Court abused its discretion when it denied Defendant’s motion for a change of
venue, pursuant to Minn. R. Crim. P. 24,03, subd. 1, and 25.02, subd. 3, in violation of Mr. Chauvin’s constitutional rights to a due process and a fair trial. See Sheppard v. Maxwell, 384 U.S. 333, 363 (1966).
b. The Court abused its discretion when it denied Defendant’s motion for a new trial on the grounds that “publicity during the proceedings threaten[ed] the fairness othe trial[.]” Sheppard, supra. Such publicity included post-testimony, but pre-deliberation, intimidation of the defense’s expert witnesses, from which the jury was not insulated. Not only did such acts escalate the potential for prejudice in these proceedings, they may result in a far-reaching chilling effect on defendants’ ability to procure expert witness—especially in high-profile cases, such as those of Mr. Chauvin’s codefendants—to testify on their behalf. The publicity here was so pervasive and so prejudicial before and during this trial that it amounted to a structural defect in the proceedings. See United States v. Hasting, 461 U.S. 499, 508-09 (1983) (certain errors involve “rights so basic to a fair trial that their infraction can never be treated as a harmless error”).
c. The Court abused its discretion when it failed to sequester the jury for the duration of the trial, or in the least, admonish them to avoid all media, which resulted in jury exposure to prejudicial publicity regarding the trial during the proceedings, as well as jury intimidation and potential fear of retribution among jurors, which violated Mr. Chauvin’s constitutional rights to due process and to a fair trial. Minn. R. Crim. P. 26.03, subd. 5.
d. The State committed pervasive, prejudicial prosecutorial misconduct, which deprived Mr. Chauvin of his constitutional rights to due process and a fair trial, including but not limited to: disparaging the Defense; improper vouching; and failing to adequately prepare its witnesses.
e. The Court abused its discretion and violated Mr. Chauvin’s rights under the Confrontation Clause when it failed to order Morries Hall to testify, or in the alternative, to admit into evidence Mr. Hall’s statements to law enforcement regarding his interactions with George Floyd and presence at the May 25, 2020 incident. U.S. Const., amend. VI.
f. The Court abused its discretion when it submitted instructions to the jury that failed to accurately reflect the law with respect to second degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder, and authorized use of force.
g. The Court abused its discretion, in violation of Mr. Chauvin’s constitutional rights to due process and a fair trial, when it permitted the State to present cumulative evidence with respect to use of force.
h. The Court abused its discretion, in violation of Mr. Chauvin’s constitutional rights to due process and a fair trial, when it ordered the State to lead witnesses on direct examination.
i. The Court abused its discretion, in violation of Mr. Chauvin’s constitutional rights to due process and a fair trial, when it failed to order that a record be made of the numerous sidebars that occurred during the trial.
j. The cumulative effect of the multiple errors in these proceedings deprived Mr. Chauvin of a fair trial, in violation of his constitutional rights. See State v. Duncan, 608 N.W.2d 551, 551-58 (Minn. App. 2000), review denied (Minn. May 16, 2000 (“when the cumulative effect of numerous errors” even if, alone, the errors are harmless—“constitutes the denial of a fair trial, the defendant is entitled to a new trial”).
2. An order for a hearing to impeach the verdict, pursuant to Minn. R. Crim. P. 26.03, subd. 20(6) and Schwartz v. Minneapolis Suburban Bus Co., 104 N.W.2d 301 (Minn. 1960), on the grounds that the jury committed misconduct, felt threatened or intimidated, felt race based pressure during the proceedings, and/or failed to adhere to instructions during deliberations, in violation of Mr. Chauvin’s constitutional rights to due process and a fair trial. State v. Larson, 281 N.W.2d 481, 484 (Minn. 1979); State v. Kelley, 517 N.W.2d 905 (Minn. 1994); State v. Bowles, 530 N.W.2d 521 (Minn. 1995).
3. For an order granting the Defense additional time to thoroughly brief the above issues, in light of the time that was required for preparation of partial transcripts of the proceedings.
4. Any other relief deemed fair and equitable by the Court.
This motion is based upon the files and records in this case, the Minnesota Statutes, the
Minnesota Rules of Criminal Procedure, the United States and Minnesota Constitutions and upon
such other and further points and authorities as may subsequently be presented to the Court.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 5, 2021

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Paracaidas posted:

Chauvin's filed for a new trial

Reasons include the defense being meanies, the judge being wrong, and the media being very unfair to his witness. Barring that, the jury may have felt racially based pressure? :rolleyes:Phoneposting so RIP formatting

Might as well throw a hail mary.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Solitary confinement is torture. So there's that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It was against the law to have found my client guilty.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Rather envious of Chauvin's lawyer, guy can float by grifting police unions and chuds for at least the next 5-10 by pretending that they can get him off if they can make this or that legal move.

Often dreamed of living the good life off of the bucks of the worst people in America but never figured out a way to do it that wouldn't slowly destroy my soul.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Solitary confinement is torture. So there's that.

Toss him in general population. Solved. In several ways.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Zeroisanumber posted:

Rather envious of Chauvin's lawyer, guy can float by grifting police unions and chuds for at least the next 5-10 by pretending that they can get him off if they can make this or that legal move.

Often dreamed of living the good life off of the bucks of the worst people in America but never figured out a way to do it that wouldn't slowly destroy my soul.

If it's any consolation the dude is probably bombarded with threats from one side for defending Chauvin and from the other for failing to do so successfully.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

FoolyCharged posted:

If it's any consolation the dude is probably bombarded with threats from one side for defending Chauvin and from the other for failing to do so successfully.

He did mention at the trial that he receives so many emails now that he doesn't even bother to look at them.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

This fell off my radar after the verdict dropped, do we think a new trial is realistic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

cr0y posted:

This fell off my radar after the verdict dropped, do we think a new trial is realistic?

I doubt a successful appeals will happen and there is a near 0% chance of a new jury trial actually occurring. The judge dismissed all objections along these lines, of course that could also be because the judge wanted to continue course and wanted to punt everything to appeals to sort through later.

But the burden of proof is extremely high to get an appeals hearing, and even higher to win an appeals decision of any kind. I think about the only way this would occur would be if they found something like a juror with notes that says "we need to convict, otherwise there will be riots" or something obvious along those lines.