Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
But he's "Just Asking Questions"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Lord of Hats posted:

Wait, the defense actually called Chauvin to the stand? I really would have assumed they’d try to avoid letting the prosecution take a crack at him. I was under the impression that pleading the 5th in your own trial is basically saying “I am guilty”.

Its not supposed to be, pleading the 5th is just to avoid incriminating yourself, even if you are innocent.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Speaking of despotic racism

https://twitter.com/mndailynews/status/1383875205731217418?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Lord of Hats posted:

Just a random poo poo rural R proposing this. It's not going anywhere, thankfully.

Its a direct echo to bills that are being passed in states like Florida and elsewhere. So while it might not progress in Minnesota, thats not why they presented the bill. They did it to echo to Police and their Red Voters to show what they could do for them.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

kyle rittenhouse has not been convicted nor has he missed his trial date

He did disappear, and was basically in a unknown location. A benefit that only he gets, no other perpetrator. Any other suspect would be in jail for a safehouse.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gaupo Guacho posted:

maxine waters is a loving dumbass

Maxine Waters is also 100% correct in that Police response to not one, but two police shootings is to aggressively harass and attack protestors demanding accountability.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gaupo Guacho posted:

who gives a poo poo if she's correct? the point is that if she gives the defense even a slight chance to successfully plead for a mistrial because she had to opine on the verdict before it happens then she's giving Chavun a lifeline. the most important thing right now is that this guy actually serves real jail time

this is all inherently obvious but I guess ill state it for clarity

:shrug: You could say the same about the entire marches in protest, but given that this pathetic defense is being laughed off by both the judge and nearly everyone in law: Its stupid to claim anything different. Regardless of the judge's words as well, we have a broken Justice system that is wringing Black Americans dry through abuse and murder, something has to change, and its bigger than Chauvin.

Because regardless of the verdict at this point, its entirely about holding police accountable, and Chauvin isn't the only one to hold accountable now. Its worth noting that Maxine's words are being taken ENTIRELY out of context to reinforce Right Wing propaganda, so good job reinforcing it as a valid defense tactic?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 19, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

JonathonSpectre posted:

Soldiers/sailors ITT, what would happen to a soldier who had this kind of video evidence against them with some detainee? Assuming it became public etc.

I mean, the Military takes this poo poo a lot more seriously than Police do, and has regularly gone after people under the UCMJ, especially when its documented.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gunthen posted:

I expect a hung jury, an acquittal, or mistrial. I have a really hard time imagining a conviction. Hope I'm wrong.

Same. I fully expect, given the jury selection questions, that there's at least one or two asshats in there who will hang the jury. I will be absolutely delighted to be wrong.

Gunthen posted:

The judge literally said that the comments from Maxine Waters are grounds for appeal from the defense. I don't see this ending soon.

It may be, but honestly at this point cops can use ANY community outrage over their actions as "grounds for appeal".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Josherino posted:

I was pretty disappointed when Maxine came out and said what she said - now is not the time to give the court any excuse or reason to extend this trial any longer than it needs to.

I'm gonna say this again: What Maxine said is being taken out of context and blown up by Right Wing media groups like Fox to MAKE it a way to undermine the judicial process. This is literally echoing Right wing arguing points for them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Josherino posted:

I completely agree with you; Just knowing how it's going to be taken out of context is what provoked me to feel disappointed. I know and understand what she's saying - I just wished it was AFTER the trial if that makes sense.

There's been plenty before, during, and will be more after the trial to frame as "Grounds for Appeal", the entire point is muddying the waters by arguing that legitimate community outrage by community members and leaders is somehow an escape rope for Police who commit violent actions.

Don't play into it, dude.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kalit posted:

Protests are not riots

Unfortunately Police and even Government are blurring those lines for their own benefit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Nothing Maxine said wasn't be said by everyone else marching in protest. So, its entirely about racist framing around protests being used to fuel legal justification for appeals/mistrial.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think Maxine Waters made a remark that could inflame the situation and was dumb considering the circumstances, even if I agree with the message. And that doesn't make me or anyone else a racist or buying into right wing propaganda.

Maxine Waters is the members of the people who are the victims. We really gotta stop giving weight to the "Well the victims are angry there's been absolutely no consequences so we need to give leniency to the perpetrator" crap. That is a problem.

Regardless of her timing, her message was valid, but it was a message that was only just an echo of messages already prevalent in the very community around this miscarriage of justice.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 20, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I suspect he was only found guilty because the Police testified for the prosecution rather than the defense.

Thank gently caress.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Chauvin had a long history of being a bully in uniform, so this is long overdue.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I still believe this only happened because so many police testified against him - From trainers to supervisors.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/QasimRashid/status/1384628955718750209?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Monaghan posted:

This really has to be drilled into people's heads. It's not training. At bare minimum, it's the police culture that makes them think they are above the law, although I would argue the institution of policing has always been the problem.

Exactly. This is system, and its practically a fluke that it worked against the cop on trial this time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

A man who's bragging on twitter about being "6,2" probably is not actually 6,2

Also lmao 187 IQ. Please tell me that's a parody account.

I think that's the real deal, he's just a dumbass who thinks IQ means anything, which is typical for that sort.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

generic one posted:

Maryland AG is having all of David Fowler’s cases reviewed.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1385753617882394624?s=21

Love that his testifying basically shot himself in the foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We'll see if the Feds follow up with the Federal charges.