Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

beejay posted:

Personally I feel like the prosecution is being very amateurish and inept (edit: AT TIMES). They sometimes ask rambling questions without a clear point and accept answers from witnesses which don't seem to be answering what they are trying to ask.

The EMT witnesses were very standoffish and reluctant to say anything definitive and the prosecution was bad at getting any answers from them.

Floyd's girlfriend gave a lot of testimony about buying and doing drugs and George Floyd overdosing in the past, and this stuff was brought up by the prosecution. She also revealed that George Floyd called her "mama" and thus people are speculating that it was her that he was calling out to as he was pinned down. This doesn't really matter of course, but some are saying it makes the "mama" cries as he was being pinned less sympathetic than if he was calling for his mother. This shouldn't matter, but.

It all comes down to the jury, obviously. I was concerned before this started that Chauvin would be acquitted, but watching the trial makes me even more concerned. The fallout from an acquittal would be disastrous, both in terms of civil unrest and the continuing ability of police to murder people at will.

On the other hand, a solid conviction here would lead to likely convictions for the other cops involved and hopefully begin or continue a movement to change police behavior. I hope that the jurors understand what really happened here.

The drugs questions go to the heart of the case. The jury is going to hear all about the autopsy and drugs in his system. The defense will say “no it’s the drugs that killed him he had x times a lethal dose of fentanyl” (if you watch any trial livestream with comments a chud will type this in all caps about every 5 seconds). The prosecution looks like they are trying to get ahead of it. Like they said in the opening statements a person with a drug habit will have a higher tolerance. They have to show the drug habit because the fentanyl being in his system will definitely come in with the medical evidence and definitely be 90 percent of what the defense harps on.

The EMTs needed to testify on basic stuff but don’t really have anything to add that other evidence doesn’t already show other than what time they got there and how once they checked George Floyd was “dead in lay person’s terms” plus super obvious stuff like “with cardiac arrest you need to resuscitate right away” (like doing chest compressions instead of putting your full weight on a person’s neck, obviously).

Even though it’s a cop on trial I really think he’s getting convicted of something. They have a long and horrific video. No “split second decision” defense. Cause of death will be disputed heavily by defense but George Floyd obviously died right then and there while being strangled. Will they convict on murder or just keep it at manslaughter? That’s tougher to predict.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU