Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

chinigz posted:

Google and wiki didn't help me - how long is this trial expected to run? It sort of seems like they've covered most of the people who could testify so far?

2-4 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kalit posted:

I actually didn't know chief ME made that statement, makes a little more sense. But still hilarious.

FYI, if you haven't been following the trial closely, it's already been stated over and over again by both sides that 11ng could be a lethal amount, but it's a huge range and there's a lot of people who that is not a lethal amount for.

To me, it's entertaining that Nelson tried to return to this simplistic argument with Dr. Thomas, who is an expert witness talking about why this was not an overdose death based on scientific reasons because of all of the known circumstances/exhibits/etc.

George Floyd was called "Big George" for a reason. From personal experience I can say that effective levels of prescription drugs are probably 50% higher than they are for average-sized humans. Considering his size and acquired tolerance, him having a bunch of fentanyl in his system isn't surprising.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

So did the prosecutor get the nod from the police union to go ahead, or are they ending their career here?

Nah, this is out of their league. The AG of MN is Keith Ellison, formerly the Congressional Rep from the district that Ilhan Omar is from now. He quit to run for state AG and he's personally overseeing this case. If the cops tried to push him too hard they'd have investigators up their rear end looking for evidence of witness intimidation and racketeering.

Part of the reason that I'm not worried about the prosecution pulling any bullshit is that I don't think that Ellison would put up with it, and because I'm fairly certain that the governor also wants Chauvin breaking rocks in Oak Park Heights until he drops dead.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
And for the record, if Chauvin is convicted I expect demonstrations and maybe a couple knuckleheads busting windows, but no riots. If he's acquitted or there's a hung jury I expect the city to get what it deserves.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/ReutersLegal/status/1382389539428134914

yeah, they are scraping through the bottom of the barrel today.

Exhaust fumes? Get the gently caress outta here!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
He looks like the Cryptkeeper

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

jet sanchEz posted:

Was there any truth to the rumour that Flyod and Chauvin knew each other from some security job?

They both worked as security at the same place around the same time but no one knows if they actually knew each other.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Love that his testifying basically shot himself in the foot.

Every single person who I've talked to about it thought his testimony was outright bizarre and the idea that George Floyd died of CO poisoning was ridiculous.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sjs00 posted:

Not a pirate ship got it

They're taking a particularly Minnesotan tack to the aftermath by treating it as an "all are punish'd" situation instead of doing a victory lap like you'd see in states where big egos can be more public about it. Everyone in the AG's office is a political animal and has a political future to protect. Ellison is a decent man but an ambitious one, and knows that the AG's office can be a springboard to either the Senate or the Governor's Mansion.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:stare:

That is a, let's say, unusual measure by the DOJ.

by which i mean the "arresting chauvin" thing, but the rest also owns

DOJ realized that the entire country would be up in arms if Chauvin got off and had a plan to possibly mitigate that. It wouldn't have worked, but it's nice to know that they had a plan to try.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Paracaidas posted:

Chauvin's filed for a new trial

Reasons include the defense being meanies, the judge being wrong, and the media being very unfair to his witness. Barring that, the jury may have felt racially based pressure? :rolleyes:Phoneposting so RIP formatting

Might as well throw a hail mary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Rather envious of Chauvin's lawyer, guy can float by grifting police unions and chuds for at least the next 5-10 by pretending that they can get him off if they can make this or that legal move.

Often dreamed of living the good life off of the bucks of the worst people in America but never figured out a way to do it that wouldn't slowly destroy my soul.