Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Velocity Raptor posted:

What is this about "belittling of the defense?" I didn't watch the closing arguments.

Nelson is calling for a mistrial due to "Prosecutorial misconduct."

its a hail mary to try again. i don't have a lot of confidence for a conviction personally just because its a cop but it is a pretty big hint that the defense thinks he screwed up big time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Whats the difference between murder 3 and manslaughter in minnesota?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Holy poo poo

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

honestly, i wouldn't be shocked with either. i could see trump being legit degusted on some level when watching a man get murdered and saying as much. but also "law and order"/etc.

trump never listens to the party line or reads the talking points memo. he just says whatever the gently caress pops in his head, ruins the establishment's spin doctors careful balancing act and then sets the new talking points for the rest of the party. this is both the best and worst thing about him.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Grondoth posted:

Basically no one is advertising during Tucker's show. It's Mypillow and ads for other Fox shows. There is no more blowback possible, FFS the ADL wants him fired.

It survives because it draws the biggest ratings, even if they're all from 60+. It's their best performing show.

fox news makes most of its money from the fact that they get way more carriage fees from cable subscribers than any other network. they can negotiate that because they're experts at getting their audience of boomers and gen xers to call their cable companies and complain AKA what they love doing most anyway. tucker makes them happy and calling and he's pulling his weight even as he has 0 advertisers.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

George Floyd's death was the one the cops had t-shirts made saying "I CAN breathe" to commemorate.

erik garner was when those shirts started getting made. floyd was when they brought them back out of the closet

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

Appreciate the confirmation of atypical treatment from your experience!

Since the right wing outrage machine continues to spool up around Maxine (absolute shocker), it's worth remembering a few things so we avoid stumbling into bothsides dumbassery by mistake-
  • Nelson has been threatening appeal since the beginning of March due to pretrial decisions. This is helpful shorthand for "the verdicts would have been appealed even if Maxine never made a single public statement".
  • Nelson has been threatening appeal due to publicity and outside actors since well before Maxine made a public statement. Anyone is welcome to make the case that Maxine's statements will be given more weight by the appeals courts than the city's pre-trial settlement announcement, or that it will be viewed on appeal as the straw the broke the camel's back.... but generally that's not what's being argued when the usual suspects are coming after Maxine. Possibly because it's a ridiculous argument that draws attention away from the main point of Maxine Bad
  • Even if one wishes to construe Maxine's comments as a call to violence and lawlessness (which is not supported by her actual words), there is no question that it was legal and protected speech. "Burn this city to the loving ground and slaughter every pig who stands in your way if they come back without a guilty verdict" would still fail to demonstrate (among other things) a call to imminent violence. Denizens of the politoons thread will have seen the comparisons to the January 6th speech, but it's important to remember that there is nothing in Maxine's words remotely comparable to "And after this, we're going to walk down, and I'll be there with you, we're going to walk down, we're going to walk down." and the repeated calls to make their way towards Congress. In my eyes, even Trump's comments are on the fringe of imminence but at least one is able to make a case about it. There's simply no argument on Maxine's comments
  • "Maxine is a loving dumbass" over timing you disagree with in the midst of a much higher profile cloud of right wing hysteria and legal illiteracy surrounding her is just fantastic way to ensure everyone knows where your priorities are.

Knowing nothing else about the guy beyond being Chavin's attorney it is his legal duty and obligation to provide the best defense possible. Of course he's appealing. He has to and he can get more money from Chauvin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

cr0y posted:

This fell off my radar after the verdict dropped, do we think a new trial is realistic?

no. chauvin's age means he will probably die in prison so there's no reason not to do this and his lawyer has extra hours he can extract from his bottomless gofundme pit so there's no reason not to do this.

Chauvin's buying his attorney a new boat; there's no appeal, filing or manuever that his lawyer will try to dissuade him from short of those risking disbarrment