Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
This would be a much more clear-cut case if Floyd didn't happen to be a drug addict ex-con. Even though he is not on trial, things like these often affect how older jurors perceive the case.

BoldFace fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Kavros posted:

The trial is a referendum on if even a barest, insufficient minimum of legal accountability exists within the system itself

No, it's the exact opposite of a referendum. A referendum is a direct vote on something that everyone gets to take part in.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Resisting an arrest is not really a high bar. Refusing to sit in a cop car is resisting an arrest. Plugging your ears with your fingers so that you can't hear what the cops are shouting at you is resisting an arrest. Dancing macarena while cops are trying to put the cuffs on you is resisting an arrest.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Do we know who are going to be today's witnesses?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Adenoid Dan posted:

Even if it was, kneeling on his neck could only ever increase the likelihood of him dying.

The thing is, the way the court system works in America, if you are 95% sure that Floyd was killed by Chauvin's knee and think that there is maybe a 5% chance that he died from complications caused by drugs and poor health, then you are _supposed_ to vote not quilty. The jury is not deciding whether it is more likely that Floyd's death was caused by Chauvin. They're deciding if it's absolute certainty that Chauvin caused his death with intent or criminal disregard for human life, depending on the charges.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

This is a take alright.

“Why didn’t the unarmed EMS crew come and rescue this man from the defendant? Sounds like their fault to me.”

For a murder charge, it can be relevant. Defense can argue that Chauvin did not try to actively prevent Floyd from receiving medical attention, just that he failed to administer it himself. I'm not saying that this is a good tactic for the defense or that the jury would buy it, though

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

logger posted:

Him saying "I can't breath" was because he could feel he wasn't getting enough oxygen because his lungs weren't able to expand all the way while being pressed against the street.

The problem with this reasoning is that there is, to my understanding, video evidence of Floyd saying "I can't breathe" before he was pinned against the ground.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Adenoid Dan posted:

A doctor who is an expert on this testified that his respiratory rate was not depressed based on the breaths taken on the video, which on its own rules out fentanyl being the cause.

The defense is not going to make the case that this was a simple overdose death anyway. It's been pretty clear since the opening statements that what they're going for is an explanation that Floyd died from a combination of drugs, poor general health, and stress (physical exhaustion) caused by the arrest. It's intentionally vague, so that the prosecution will have trouble shooting it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Kalit posted:

Along these lines, do you (or anyone) know if the amount of fentanyl that causes an OD has a correlation with body weight/size, assuming tolerance is the same? I keep wondering why this isn't brought up by expert witnesses, if there's no data on body sizes for those who OD'd or if the data doesn't show this. Granted, I guess they probably don't know the tolerance of most of those people....but I figured a study would have included this (I can't find any based on a quick Google search myself and am far from an expert)

Once you start questioning your witnesses about people OD'ing with fentanyl, you give an opportunity for the defense to do the same. This is pretty risky, and Nelson might be able to squeeze some pretty damning answers from the experts. Instead, prosecution already brought up statistics about fentanyl levels in DUI arrests, which effectively makes the case that Floyd's fentanyl levels weren't completely off the charts.

BoldFace fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 10, 2021