Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The police chief, dispatchers, EMT, etc are all coming to this poo poo and being very clear about their experience: "I am a professional, I watched Chauvin outright murder this man, plainly, and I still have nightmares and guilt but we couldn't save him"

Some are doing it because they know the Chauvin trial is a referendum on if the only recourse to the police monopoly on violence is to burn the city down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its because 1. there is no "good" defense". the whole thing is on film and its clear Chauvin just went "gently caress it, ill kill him in front of a crowd". also they realize unlike the GOP and alot of other departments, that flushing turds and not fighting battle that arnt worth winning or fighting. let the fucker hang and make cosmetic reforms, maybe even some real ones and then hope it goes away. obviously this won't go away because people do want real police reform/etc but id still like to see chauvin go to jail.

I think this is accurate, for the most part. The standard we have lived with for policing is set by how the police unions usually do it, and have for decades: defend rigorously in a trumpist "never not double down" fashion, and put the victims on trial instead.

The police in testimony and involved in the trial understand, in some way, that Chauvin took it beyond how far you can sustain it with that. There's too much ill will built up against the police. There's too much abuse. Too much of the result of decades of police granting themselves immunity from their own horrible, immoral conduct. And now, with cell phones everywhere, too much evidence of what the police are really like.

They know the cost of furthering their own immunity in this case is riots and fitted public retaliation.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
As someone put it for me recently: only legal pedants are insisting the Chauvin is what is on trial here.

The trial is a referendum on if even a barest, insufficient minimum of legal accountability exists within the system itself, or if you have to force change onto the system by violently rebelling and burning the city in response to the police being a legally immunized class of murderers.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The jurors in the trial have now been exposed to conspicuous and constantly repeated footage of Floyd's death. In what probably doesn't seem great for Chauvin, the repeated display of evidence from multiple angles caused one of the jurors to have a stress related breakdown and nearly throw up.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Significant video evidence weighting the case strongly to our outside observed attitudes doesn't necessarily make these cases less complex to resolve to the satisfaction of the legal system, if the accused isn't going to plea. It's still a high profile murder trial, one in which a defending lawyer is obligated to find any way possible to twist their client out of a guilty verdict and the jury selection is conspicuously harder because the whole loving nation that wasn't living under a rock didn't just miss out on an entire season of civil unrest and race riots.

Weeks into months.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

The Lone Badger posted:

We have a significant problem with aboriginal death in custody. According to the article I just read a major factor is that indigenous people are much less likely to be given proper medical care while imprisoned, causing them to die of 'natural causes' that could and should have been prevented.

Systematic across the medical system, worst for indigenous, terrifyingly heartless whenever caught on video

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats some hosed up predestination poo poo right there. how the gently caress is that a defense.

Whatever your defense team thinks is the best possible defense becomes your defense

And Chauvin doesn't have a lot of better "I'm innocent, actually" takes

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The court case has wrapped up the first question with a resounding "Yes, Chauvin killed Floyd, doing things that he was not allowed to do, and were not policy."

This brings us resoundingly to the necessary subsequent question that the defense must default to: "Yeah, but did floyd DESERVE this enough that it's still ok"

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Velocity Raptor posted:

I'm hesitant to pass judgement on the defense's performance since I'm not a lawyer, nor do I have a law background, and because I realize that this is probably a tough case to defend, but can any law goons speak to whether Nelson is doing a good job? It seems quite a few of his questions (with this witness, at least) have been answered to the contrary of the point the defense was making.

I think Nelson has an extremely poor case to argue and very few avenues to work with.

I also think that he has proven somewhat unprepared to work with those avenues. It may be unfamiliarity with NOT having the thin blue line lined up to defend their client. It's unfamiliar territory for most.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Yeah a lot of interactions that make me react as if I'd just watched someone get physically bodied are mostly pertaining to Nelson attempting an introduction of doubt, which immediately gets thrown in his face by the assurance of police protocol, the unambiguous nature of the video and forensic evidence provided, or expert medical conclusion.

For weeks, an unbroken string of something along the lines of

quote:

Expert: as a person who went to Recognizing Murder School with a cross doctorate in knowing-how-lungs-work-or-do-not from the medical university of breathing science, I can categorically state that this murdering of the murder victim was via not letting the lungs work, which is ipso facto fatal QED quad erat nobreathingum. It was a fatal case of preventing normal lungage, whereupon the victim died of insufficient lungification of the oxygen, by Derek Chauvin, who did the murdering.

Nelson: I see. Do you think that it is at least possible that the not lung working could be because, perhaps, the supposed victim actually had other issues, or had perhaps left his lungs at home, or was no angel

Expert: no

Nelson: understandable, have a nice day

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Rust Martialis posted:

The thing is we're all expecting Chauvin to still get acquitted somehow regardless of the evidence, aren't we?

I was. I would no longer bet on it if I were forced to put down money and had to maybe not lose it.

I no longer think actual acquittal is very likely and the most Chauvin can hope for is a holdout blue lives type being deranged enough to hang the jury and force the trial to be repeated. Absent that, this has been an extraordinarily damning and consistent affair.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Vahakyla posted:

Person can have carbon monoxide poisoning and be alive

In addition you can hit up a recently died dude up with some saturation meters because showing up to the scene, you might not know how dead they are. Very recent dead isn’t necessary something you can tell in a blink of an eye.

then i give you the next court witness.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
It can be both a grift and also evidence of their hard authoritarian shift into radicalism

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I think that girl was definitely raising a deadly weapon and was imminently going to inflict potentially lethal trauma on another person, and this is what is being reacted to

I also believe that if this was happening in another country where police are in any way decently trained, better outcomes would have been much more possible.

How much better? I don't know. but maybe at least ones where i wouldn't be saying "pretty much the only thing i'm happy about is that the potential stabbing victim was miraculously unharmed by the proxy endangerment of standing next to someone that an american cop started utterly unloading into"

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
cops simply make it very wise to want to pull out the fine-tooth comb and pour over every available detail that even remotely suggests the police could be in the wrong, in any situation in which it might be possible that the cop was not entirely in the wrong.

and that's their damage, institutionally, and they deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

oldskool posted:

I'm curious as to the source of these "Tasers are unreliable/not useful in these situations" arguments, because it seems to me tasers wouldn't be issued at all if they are rendered inert by their target being overly angry or wearing clothing.

In fairness, tasers are rendered inert in any situation in which US police were trained never to consider doing anything other than drawing their gun and firing immediately.