Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Jaxyon posted:

They were happy to blue line him when they surrounded his house with a hundred cops for "protection"

I'm not sure what you are actually arguing here, could you clarify?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sjs00 posted:

Well if the similarities aren't immediately obvious then they must be subjective and coincidental rather than factual and definite.
I'm not going to pretend you have no loving idea

Stop being obtuse and just say what you mean straightforwardly.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Harold Fjord posted:

"Conservative Good Guy Persecuted For Protecting Citizens From Radical Thugs" ie the same people are going to be excusing both. At least, that's the most obvious parallel to me.

That is extremely broad, and many posters have brought up very significant differences between the cases. If you come at everything from the angle of beating disingenuous chud arguments you'll lose a lot of the time because the other side isn't interested in having a fair argument in the first place. If you're convinced that the jury is already full of chuds, or that the prosecutor is conspiring with the defense to get Chauvin off the hook then it's not worth arguing about the trial since it's a sham trial anyway.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

chinigz posted:

riddle me this, as a non american law knower. The standard of proof in a criminal trial is fairly high, if defense can raise the possibility that Floyd died of an overdose and point to the autopsy that shows fentanyl in the blood - doesn't that prevent them reaching 'beyond reasonable doubt' and Chauvin could get off some or all of the charges?

The "beyond reasonable doubt" thing is often misinterpreted, it roughly means "Would a reasonable person find the idea that the defendant contributed to the victim's death doubtful?"

Cops get off the hook so often not so much because of the law itself but because of a mixture of sociological and systemic factors that strongly favor police.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SchnorkIes posted:

It's theater, jury will acquit regardless bc convicting is throwing your life away

I would not be surprised if we see a hung jury or something but if you're going to post conspiracy theories it'd be nice for you to post some kind of proof.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

We're never going to know exactly what happened, what matters is that there's no credible reason for Floyd to have died other than Chauvin kneeling on his neck for nearly ten minutes, long after he had gone unresponsive, long after any excuse to stay on Floyd's neck was long gone. If Chauvin had simply gotten up within a minute or so after Floyd went limp maybe no one would have died, but Chauvin may as well have put a bullet in Floyd's head, it would have been done with both the same intent and the same results.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I believe that cops should not be able to able to dispense extrajudicial executions, even if it occasionally saves lives in general, and (possibly) saved a life in this specific situation. I would say that defending this as a "good shoot" is a slippery slope that will lead to more cop killings in more ambiguous circumstances, but we're already at the bottom of that slope. The idea that we need cops to kill all the scary bad guys is (part of) how we got here.

So are you saying that it would have been better for the other girl to die instead of the assailant, yes?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

No, I'm saying that the cop should not have killed the assailant.

I don't see any way that the cop could have prevented the victim's likely death other than shooting the assailant. Tasers are too unreliable, grabbing someone with a knife is essentially suicidal and you don't talk down someone charging someone else with a knife, so what is the magic solution that I'm missing here?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not saying that there's a magical solution. It was a bad situation, due in large part to the cops arriving to the scene so late. But I still stand by my stance that cops should not be allowed to extrajudicially execute people, even if it occasionally saves lives. As I already said, the belief that cops should be heroes that save lives by killing the bad guys is exactly why police brutality is such a huge problem.

Ok, so you are saying that the victim should have died instead of the assailant, that is literally what you are saying here. Thanks for the clarification.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Are you saying that it's fine he killed someone? To reverse the question.

If you are happy to accept violence towards people to prevent harm then where are you drawing the line on that?

I am fine with an assailant dieing if they are in the process of attempting to murder another person, yes. I draw the line in that the assailant has to be violently acting at that moment, i.e. they must be shooting a gun, swinging a knife, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

Than he should of moved fast and put his own life at risk instead of shooting into a group.

Yeah, it'd be cool if people had super powers. :allears: