Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If Chauvin walked there would be more real pressure for actual change. The cops are testifying because they know if they don't cool things down and toss out this one guy they will make things worse for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

I do think it’s kind of important that we keep in mind that Chauvin going to jail is an unequivocally good thing. I think there’s a tendency around here to look at small victories and say that all that really does is push the real victory further off because people stop caring. And maybe there’s some truth to that. But I think that it’s more important that every case, every issue be fought for the win.

Also on a selfish level I live in Minneapolis and I’d really rather not go through all that again.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying don't celebrate small victories. I'm more saying don't celebrate the cops because they're not doing anything good. Chauvin going to jail is still a net positive.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

I said, flat out, that you're buying racist framings.

Maybe deal with that instead of spending so much time explaining how you're very not racist and nobody can tell you what to say.

Waters isn't a dumbass and she said a completely OK thing at a completely OK time and literally every word that comes out of her mouth is made into a problem by a vast white supremacist media machine.

How does someone win this argument with you in a way that isn't "you're so right Jaxyon, I guess I'll go inspect my biases now. Thanks for being right!"?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

It's not about winning arguments and the fact that you see it this way is pretty telling.

But I can tell you that explaining how ridiculous it is that anyone could possible see anything you did as wrong or racist sure isn't going to do it.

Opening her mouth at all inflames the situation because racists are ready to go off no matter what she says.

If you're trying to help people actually figure out their biases you're not giving them that space and it just comes off as you wanting people to tell you that your right. If you want them to gently caress off than you're doing it right but you're too aggro if you're trying to make some sort of learning moment. Nothing wrong with telling people to gently caress off though if that's your goal.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

So do we know what tattoos were under that sleeve? I'm still expecting something that's going to make anyone defending this real embaressed.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pepper spray and batons are on their belts. She had a knife.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

idiotsavant posted:

The thing is it doesn’t really matter, this could have been the most racist cop in the history of racist cops who was just creaming his pants at the chance to shoot a minority and yet his immediate actions in the video were not unreasonable because the girl was literally (LITERALLY) in the act of trying to stab the poo poo out of someone.

Everything that led to that point is lovely and hosed up and awful, and burn garbage police departments to the ground and rebuild them from scratch with a totally different culture and mission, but this is a stupid hill to die on for that.

You're infected with American cowboy logic if you think that was the proper way to stop her. He has pepper spray, he has a tazer, and he has a baton. He had many non-lethal options. Everything points to this being a dude looking for an excuse and he's being given one.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Vorik posted:

You’d have a point if they had time to talk and try to de-escalate and try non-lethal methods. However, the cop had literally a handful of seconds to deal with the entire situation as soon as he pulled up. Everything absolutely does not point to the cop looking for an excuse to shoot someone in this case. He saved that pink girl from getting sliced in her neck.

Pepper spray and tazers talk to you?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

agreed in this case at least. i dont think anyone is calling this dude a hero outside the chuds and they think loving chauvin is a hero too. i just think its a hosed situation that wasnt gonna have a happy ending probably because how everything lined up time wise and the police training the way it is. that being said i think alot of people want this pig to be able to pull off some magic taser shot and hope that works. if we being realistic, he should have used a baton or something, but then you get footage of a pig breaking a teenage girl's arm or some hosed up horror.

also the cop popping out a baton and using it to disarm someone that is literally stabbing someone in the span of literal seconds is some John Wick poo poo

Uhhh yeah, that would be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sure, but he would had to reach her in less then 3 seconds as she was mid swinging the knife.

Than he should of moved fast and put his own life at risk instead of shooting into a group.