Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Lord of Hats posted:

On May 25, 2020, Minneapolis resident George Floyd was killed by MPD officer Derek Chauvin, after the police were called on him after he allegedly attempted to pass a $20 bill that turned out to be counterfeit at a local grocery store. Officer Derek Chauvin proceeded to kneel on his neck for 9 minutes and 29 seconds, ignoring Floyd's protests that he couldn't breathe. The cause of death was determined by the coroner to be "Asphyxia due to neck and back compression". As you're no doubt aware, the entire incident was caught on video.

This lead to (as it should), a lot of protests, not only in Minneapolis but across the country, as yet another example of police violence against minorities in a long, long chain of examples. In the ensuing months, Derek Chauvin and the other officers on the scene have been arrested, and Derek Chauvin's trial began on this past monday, March 29, 2021. He stands charged with second degree murder, third degree murder, and manslaughter.

Now, we watch to see if justice will be done for once, or if the defense's argument that everything Chauvin did was according to police procedure (and that the death is, in fact, due to drugs, and also some bullshit about how the witnesses are at fault. Yes, that was in their opening statement). For what it's worth, Minnesota AG, and former U.S. representative Keith Ellison is heading the prosecution, and the prosecution team have solid credentials, as far as my inexperienced eye can tell. I don't see any reason to doubt they're doing less than their best.

CNN Live Feed

A brief breakdown of the jury

If there's anything that needs to be added to this OP, please, let me know.

good OP. I'll be overly opportunistic and say i think Chauvin will probably be found guilty on at least one charge. the prosecution is doing a good job at proving chauvan murdered him but also not "overselling" it like what happened in many of the other past cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

beejay posted:

Personally I feel like the prosecution is being very amateurish and inept. They ask rambling questions without a clear point and accept answers from witnesses which don't seem to be answering what they are trying to ask.

The EMT witnesses were very standoffish and reluctant to say anything definitive and the prosecution was bad at getting any answers from them.

Floyd's girlfriend gave a lot of testimony about buying and doing drugs and George Floyd overdosing in the past, and this stuff was brought up by the prosecution. She also revealed that George Floyd called her "mama" and thus people are speculating that it was her that he was calling out to as he was pinned down. This doesn't really matter of course, but some are saying it makes the "mama" cries as he was being pinned less sympathetic than if he was calling for his mother. This shouldn't matter, but.

It all comes down to the jury, obviously. I was concerned before this started that Chauvin would be acquitted, but watching the trial makes me even more concerned. The fallout from an acquittal would be disastrous, both in terms of civil unrest and the continuing ability of police to murder people at will.

On the other hand, a solid conviction here would lead to likely convictions for the other cops involved and hopefully begin or continue a movement to change police behavior. I hope that the jurors understand what really happened here.
I thought the previous days they did a better job. Especially with the witnesses in the crowd and Derek threatening the nurse trying to help when he was dying.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Breath Ray posted:

i dont know what second degree and third degree murder are, so I'll go for manslaughter with the cop released for time served

if he gets convicted on something, he will go to jail for awhile for it. they want to make an example out of him. i do however think the other cops will get slaps on the wrists.

beejay posted:

The police supervisor saying that something like a knee on the neck should stop when a cop has control of the suspect should help. A big question everyone should have is why he kept his knee on the neck once he was cuffed and especially once he was nonresponsive. I do think this questioning is going well.

this. i think the "he did it for almost 10 min and smirked as man died under his knee" is gonna be what fucks him. that and the whole thing is filmed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

beejay posted:

I wouldn't have guessed that the best witness of the day for the prosecution would be the police sergeant. Now the defense is flailing.

what he say? also doesn't fully shock me. alot of the conservatives i know think Derek murdered floyd. i can believe alot of cops are pissed at Chauvin for various reasons. cynical or otherwise.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

I know I mentioned it in the OP, and it was in their opening statement, but it’s still wild to me that their defense is “he was scared of these assorted pedestrians standing at a distance”

i mean they don't have anything. this isnt a case where they can "argue" it was a split second decision and such poo poo. the dude kneeled on a man neck for 9 min and it was all caught on camera. the only have "well he deserved it" and thats it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kavros posted:

The police chief, dispatchers, EMT, etc are all coming to this poo poo and being very clear about their experience: "I am a professional, I watched Chauvin outright murder this man, plainly, and I still have nightmares and guilt but we couldn't save him"

Some are doing it because they know the Chauvin trial is a referendum on if the only recourse to the police monopoly on violence is to burn the city down

This. They are very clearly trying to throw him into the pit to save themselves and peoples “trust” in them. I think if the chief is testifying against him, he might be hosed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

beejay posted:

Good point, probably better to get ahead of the drug thing. I'm less concerned about the EMT witnesses now that they have these police witnesses. It all fits together now.

Edit: Wow the defense is going to say Zimmerman is out of touch with the streets because he's been in homicide for the last 27 years. I don't think that's a great tack. You just don't know what it's like out there nowadays, cops have to kill people! You've gone soft investigating homicides!

Lol, the grossman judge dredd defense. I don’t think that will work at all in this case.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kalit posted:

I'm almost positive it was already announced that Chief Arradondo is testifying. Assuming that is correct, he will definitely be a witness for the prosecution.

they did upthread. i won't say chauvin is hosed, but it doesn't look good for him right now. the cops arnt blue linging for him because it was too awful even for them, for both cynically and probably genuine reasons. unlike the GOP and many other police departments, it seems like these guys realize sometimes you have to throw an obvious loving psycho to the wolves/justice to keep doing your thing unmolested.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 2, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

They were happy to blue line him when they surrounded his house with a hundred cops for "protection"

what? i am not defending them. i am saying they want this to go away and they are smart enough to realize alot of people will stop caring about them and their systemic awfulness if Chauvin goes to jail forever or whatever. so they are gonna push for it.

Edit: what the poster above me said.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

They were happy to blue line him when they surrounded his house with a hundred cops for "protection"

i am not saying they are good people. i am saying they are gonna try to flush his rear end because he ruined a good thing and now everyone's eyes are on them and caused

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

No, I haven't been watching the trial. That's fair. But that's pretty unusual, and I agree it's not yet a serious widespread change.

its because 1. there is no "good" defense". the whole thing is on film and its clear Chauvin just went "gently caress it, ill kill him in front of a crowd". also they realize unlike the GOP and alot of other departments, that flushing turds and not fighting battle that arnt worth winning or fighting. let the fucker hang and make cosmetic reforms, maybe even some real ones and then hope it goes away. obviously this won't go away because people do want real police reform/etc but id still like to see chauvin go to jail.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

If Chauvin walked there would be more real pressure for actual change. The cops are testifying because they know if they don't cool things down and toss out this one guy they will make things worse for themselves.

yep. that being said, we could still run into a mistrial or something, i am curious what the defense will even do because the prosecution is doing a decent job heading off their case at the pass.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

I do think it’s kind of important that we keep in mind that Chauvin going to jail is an unequivocally good thing. I think there’s a tendency around here to look at small victories and say that all that really does is push the real victory further off because people stop caring. And maybe there’s some truth to that. But I think that it’s more important that every case, every issue be fought for the win.

Also on a selfish level I live in Minneapolis and I’d really rather not go through all that again.

also a weird dark thought of mine is that reform happens but for cynical means(racist tree etc) other departments realize its easier to flush murder cops and abusive cops to save themselves and cops then try to better themselves to not be "the one". id rather have actual real systemic change instead but if that helps make systemic change possible, then good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SchnorkIes posted:

I think based on a freelancer like Rittenhouse being allowed to disappear without consequences they will circle the wagons around an actual cop for sure.

accept they clearly didnt if his direct superior and other cops are saying he did everything wrong and say he out and out murdered floyd. the chief is apparently a testifying on behalf of the prosecution. yeah they are doing it for the wrong reasons but they clearly trying to gently caress chauvin. rittenhouse is whole other ball game and i sadly think he will probably get off or a slap on the wrist.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

kolby posted:

https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1379883253327335434?s=20
https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1379884110538280960?s=20

I don't get the reasoning of this by either side.

If he said he ate too many drugs, then you probably want to call an ambulance quicker and not put your knee on his neck. Why would the defense even bring that up?

If he said he didn't do any drugs, then who loving cares? You still don't put your knee on his neck but the officer can say, "He said he wasn't on drugs so we handled him differently than someone having an overdose." So why would the prosecution bring that up?

It seems like they both forgot what side they were arguing for.

the chuds are trying to find a reason to openly say that chauvin was actually a good solid christian soldier who did the right thing when he killed floyd. thats the long and short of it.

https://twitter.com/EricChalouxKSTP/status/1380171882478047233

https://twitter.com/EricChalouxKSTP/status/1380205697695092742

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 8, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

so who is the defense using as its witnesses and poo poo?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Billy Gnosis posted:

My understanding is that he could have been destined to die already if Derek Chauvin didn't interfere, it doesn't matter if the way he intervened was illegal (not a lawyer)

thats some hosed up predestination poo poo right there. how the gently caress is that a defense.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kavros posted:

I think Nelson has an extremely poor case to argue and very few avenues to work with.

I also think that he has proven somewhat unprepared to work with those avenues. It may be unfamiliarity with NOT having the thin blue line lined up to defend their client. It's unfamiliar territory for most.

i think part of it is this is pretty black and white case, fucker murdered floyd and everyone in the world saw it and part of it is like you said, the cops not defending this guy to the death(in the courtroom).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

the defense has some "expert" talking about how everything thing fuckface did was justified and how clearly floyd was violently resisting arrest.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

And for the record, if Chauvin is convicted I expect demonstrations and maybe a couple knuckleheads busting windows, but no riots. If he's acquitted or there's a hung jury I expect the city to get what it deserves.

I don’t think he will get acquitted at this point. But I think we have like a 25% chance min of a hung jury. That being said I am still hopeful.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/ReutersLegal/status/1382389539428134914

yeah, they are scraping through the bottom of the barrel today.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

The fact so many cops testified on behalf of the prosecution tells me that Chauvin is pretty hosed. The blue wall doesn't break if it wasn't obvious guilt.

its less obvious guilt(the wall has stood for "worse") but also its too big and obvious to protect. everyone in the world saw this and the aftermath, they realize if this dude walks, then bad poo poo will happen and happen to them directly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

hahahaha. I’m still reeling from yesterday. “You can tell he’s resisting arrest by the angle of his elbows. He should be resting comfortably on the ground.”
Prosecutor: “...did you just say resting comfortably?!”

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

text editor posted:

Pat Robertson has some thoughts on police shootings and Chauven, and they aren't what you're expecting

https://twitter.com/wkamaubell/status/1382741800725536769?s=20

some evangelicals are loving weird. like the dude is a loving monster but he has said weirdly woke stuff about police shootings and other stuff in the past.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ror posted:

It is infuriating me that Nelson keeps directly referring to Chauvin as "the reasonable police officer" after introducing the concept. No, the reasonable police officer is the hypothetical person that we are comparing Chauvin's actions to (and they seem to be stacking up as quite unreasonable). He keeps planting the idea that it's a foregone conclusion that as a police officer he is reasonable.

its because the defense has nothing outside going full out "chauvin did nothing wrong and floyd was evil and deserved it" and they can't do that outright in this case so they have to dog whistle it a bit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I gotta say I think the prosecutor did a great job and threw in a terrific closing statement.

i am guessing 3rd degree probably and manslaughter. maybe even 2nd degree.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Velocity Raptor posted:

That's not a good sign. :ohdear: Hopefully that's just a general precaution and not a precaution of "people are gonna riot because Chauvin has been acquitted."

Link to live stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm48swwALnc

I’d be genuinely shocked if he was acquitted. The prosecution did a mostly great job and had the cops testifying against him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

LionArcher posted:

You don't think he'll either kill himself or the moment somebody in that prison can he won't be brutally murdered after probably weeks of torture by fellow inmates? Because that seems to me to be the most likely outcome.

he might off himself. sure he will never see general and etc but i suspect it might break his brain and ego realizing that his department threw him under the bus. its clear from the reaction that he thought he was gonna loving walk. it also wouldnt shocked me if he was "encouraged" to do it so this will just "go away".

anyway.

have some tears.

https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1384663026364817416

https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1384660766410907650

https://twitter.com/Sturgeons_Law/status/1384640320747442178

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1384635731117805568

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1384619964812910594
https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1384622360469377025

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

It's really interesting to watch them all show their rear end like this, when it would be the easiest thing in the world to just walk away from it and distance themselves from Chauvin.

Instead they have to double down and talk about one white cop receiving justice is an attack on civilization, and they specifically wanted Trump in because he gave the go ahead for the police to commit murder of people they don't like.

It's fascinating and gross watching these wierdo fucks radicalize in real time. It can't just be a grift anymore right?

yeah. the "smarter" play would be using chauvin as the "see we deal with the bad ones" poo poo. like even my dad, who leans sorta proish cop at times thought this dude was loving murderer and the other cops should be charged for the murder as well. these assholes keep picking the worst possible optics and positions on everything because they only care about their minority base.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PT6A posted:

Pat motherfucking Robertson said "they should put Chauvin under the jail!" so I honestly don't know why they haven't all figured out that tack.

Actually, I do know: it's because they want Black people to die, whereas Robertson just wants a weird Christian theocracy for its own sake.

yeah pretty much. trump won the party and that means that the days of letting some monster who clearly did the bad poo poo get punished as a scapegoat to save the system/others is no longer acceptable.

TulliusCicero posted:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1384688301962141697?s=20

Tucker turning into Red Skull on live TV. That laugh :stonk:

yeah, i am curious what horrible poo poo he will say that will make fox "consider" hemming and hawing about firing him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Armitage posted:

He'll get away with poisoning the brains of millions of people as long as the ratings and the money continue to roll in.

probably, but it wouldnt shock me if something like this pushes the mother fucker too far into open slurs or some poo poo.

TulliusCicero posted:

That whole interaction he seemed genuinely unhinged. I think today came as a shock to his world view. He lashes out like he just recieved a narcissistic injury, then goes into full Clown Cope Mode.

"I'm not Mad: I'm actually laughing"

this. he legit did not expect this. he expected chauvin to walk and then he could crow happily as some cities rioted and do some racist rant while smiling.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sarcastro posted:

God, what a loving baby Tucker is. That any of these right wing pieces of poo poo who think they're the pinnacle of Real Masculinity don't look at him and immediately laugh their asses off speaks volumes.

i mean these fucks think trump is the pinnacle of masculinity. speaking of which, i can't wait to hear his lovely take.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i want him to agree with the verdict for maximum comedy

honestly, i wouldn't be shocked with either. i could see trump being legit degusted on some level when watching a man get murdered and saying as much. but also "law and order"/etc.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PT6A posted:

The gangs: perhaps. The guards, I really don't think so, and this is why: he hosed up. He did this poo poo on camera, there's no plausible deniability, and it's called both the profession of law enforcement into question, making it harder for the "good apples" to do their job, and made it that much harder for white supremacists to operate within law enforcement.

It's organized crime, make no mistake. And the number one rule of organized crime is: as soon as you gently caress up and it affects business, you'll pay. Will the guard that looks the other way at the right moment have a flitter of "there but for the grace of God go I?" It's possible. But at this moment Chauvin is worthless to them, he is nothing but a liability, and I do very much doubt their sense of professional loyalty will overcome their pragmatism.

yeah guards would be fine with him if he had "cover", but chauvin didn't. he mudered a man over 9 and half minuetes and the whole world loving watched. the guards will either hate him for "soiling the police officers honor/etc" or because he loving did all this poo poo in the open. again i would not be shocked if he doesn't end up dead because he was "convinced" that this was the "best" way forward or some poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PT6A posted:

Literally the US military has higher standards for use of force. Let that sink in.

they also tend to convict soldiers when said soldiers decide shooting civilians and prisoners and etc is fun and cool. unlike cops. which is also sad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PT6A posted:

That too, yes. Also the jury is composed entirely of people who knew what rules you were told to follow and are pissed off that you didn't.

It does present a problem in terms of holding people higher up the chain of command responsible, mind you.

and sexual assult. the military and its courts have plenty of its own horror and awful poo poo as everyone knows.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

The Killology poo poo pushed by that lunatic Grossman teaches police ANYONE can be the serial killer trying to murder you, and you have to kill them first (and then you will have Great Sex afterwards according to the aptly named Grossman :barf:)

Grossman is a loving monster who has done unfathomable harm to this country's law enforcement training. He needs to be shut down today.

There was no reason for this girl to die. Taser, baton, tackling, idk, "DROP THE loving KNIFE!" could have been yelled? He tries absolutely nothing.

This. It takes him maybe 5 seconds on the scene to do it. Also even if you believe it’s “justified”, he could of super easily hit the other lady too because he decided to pump 4 shots in. I think it’s a hosed situation and the cop should at the very least be sacked.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

willie_dee posted:

He saved the lady in pinks life.

Open offer, anyone thinking this, is welcome to meet up with me and we can set up multiple scenarios where you get to repeatedly try and stop me getting ink all over you with a sharpie without using a gun to stop me.

I am not disagreeing with you on that point, I just think the whole situation is awful and it’s it’s still depressing and at the end of the day there is no such thing as a “good” shoot. The whole situation is a cluster gently caress and every new detail makes it more depressing.

ryde posted:

Also I, in no way, think that the officer in question is a good cop. I'd give good odds on that arm wrap hiding a sleeve of norse runes or something similar.
Yeah, I don’t think anyone outside the chuds thinks this cop is some hero because he killed a teenager. If some gets shot in a police scene, even if it can viewed as “justified”. It’s not a good ending to the situation.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 21, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

willie_dee posted:

Why then do you think the officer should be fired?

He arrived and saved someone from being murdered.

Probably because he could have easily hit the other girl too when he pumped a bunch of rounds in. Personally I’d like to know all the details of the case and who called the cops and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kalit posted:

The problem is that his immediate instinct is to pull out his gun, because a gun solves all problems. That's what cops in this country are trained to do.

20/20 hindsight, he very well could admit there were better solutions to solve this. But this is about a failure on how cops are trained in our country and the personalities that a lot of them have, immediately escalate to the Nth degree.

this.