Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

chinigz posted:

riddle me this, as a non american law knower. The standard of proof in a criminal trial is fairly high, if defense can raise the possibility that Floyd died of an overdose and point to the autopsy that shows fentanyl in the blood - doesn't that prevent them reaching 'beyond reasonable doubt' and Chauvin could get off some or all of the charges?

It is way beyond a reasonable doubt that the restraint killed him. No doctors, especially medical toxicologists, are saying the fentanyl caused it. They've been very clear on that. People develop a tolerance to opioids quickly, so it would not have been a lethal dose for him. It also didn't look like an opioid death.

Even if it was, kneeling on his neck could only ever increase the likelihood of him dying.

And there is a very effective antidote they likely had in their car, since they're so concerned about overdoses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Zeroisanumber posted:

George Floyd was called "Big George" for a reason. From personal experience I can say that effective levels of prescription drugs are probably 50% higher than they are for average-sized humans. Considering his size and acquired tolerance, him having a bunch of fentanyl in his system isn't surprising.

A doctor who is an expert on this testified that his respiratory rate was not depressed based on the breaths taken on the video, which on its own rules out fentanyl being the cause.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Kalit posted:

I did see that part, which was great. But I was specifically wondering about the correlation of the amount of fentanyl to body weight/size (unless I missed Dr Isenschmid talking about that part, which I don't think I did).

That will depend on how the drug partitions into fat and other factors. Fentanyl is pretty fat soluble, so the more fat there is in proportion to lean body mass, the higher the dose that will be required - but I'm not sure if they know by how much.

I'm not sure if it is standard to dose by lean body weight. But almost certainly, it does not scale linearly with body weight.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Belteshazzar posted:

The numbers that they are reporting are in ng/mL which is a concentration, not a total amount, so it's already corrected for body size.

I think that post is essentially asking about allometry.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but isn't the defense of "they were frail, they were in poor health, there's no way to know this" not allowed because of the "eggshell skull rule"?

That is apparently a civil court concept, but I saw a lawyer saying the concept will probably be ruled to apply in criminal cases if it is brought up.