Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It's so fast that you can't really tell what's going on in the full speed video but in the slow mo by all appearances the altercation doesn't even start until the cop is already walking up, visually there's nothing to deescalate in the first place until all of a sudden she's shoving one girl over and about the stab a second. This is not "threatening" she is in the act of stabbing someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
drat, lucky for that lady who was a half second away from being stabbed that they wanted to make a point, 'cause I guess if they didn't want to make a point she would've gotten stabbed.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

What about those who have orchestrated murders? Are they not just as, if not more, accountable?

Averylargeradish didn't say anything about accountability, are you actually reading the posts you're replying to?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

We should not burden public agencies with duty to individuls by law. We should punish cops who don’t do their jobs, absolutely. But ”police have to help people or city gets sued” either requires a cop in every house or empty coffers.

I don't think it's wrong to think there's potentially a point where it crosses over an unfortunate tragedy into negligence.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

And the cops should be fired and the mayors should do something about it. I don't think anyone disagrees with you on that.
Having that legal requirement would not change that, it would just bankrupt the town or be unenforceable in any reasonable manner.
Like, if your fire department just doesn't roll out when bells ring because they didn't feel like it, you have issues that need to be fixed.

Generally this is the sort of thing government departments have insurance for so, not really. Insurance companies don't generally like to pay out so they have motive to push departments to adopt practices that will make them less likely to do the thing insurance companies would have to pay out for. The ideal result is basically "city governments decide they would rather pay lower premiums rather than higher premiums and adopt whatever policies the insurance companies currently think are least likely to result in a payout."

In fact that very mechanism is actually ONE of the existing mechanisms behind police "shoot at everything." Police departments usually have insurance to provide death in the line of duty payouts, insurance companies don't pay out, insurance companies push through premiums to prioritize "officers shoots at any possible threat before the threat can materialize" above all other considerations. This has also metastasized into an independent us vs them mentality but insurance premiums were by all appearances a factor in the policies and training that pushed that mentality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Solving issues by litigation and insurance is a pretty american thing. You can't sue doctors for millions in Europe, yet the health care is better. I don't disagree with you as much as I think that it is a completely wrong avenue to try to fix it. Because I believe it doesn't fix it, but only alleviates.

I mean, this isn't MY position, I was mostly just disputing that it requires "cops in every home or empty coffers." Regardless of whether its the RIGHT move, that's really not true.