Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
If we're just speculating on trial outcomes I"m going with "acquitted on all accounts and bystanders are charged with assault and defamation" based on the Breonna Taylor BS.

My bar is set low :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they did upthread. i won't say chauvin is hosed, but it doesn't look good for him right now. the cops arnt blue linging for him because it was too awful even for them, for both cynically and probably genuine reasons. unlike the GOP and many other police departments, it seems like these guys realize sometimes you have to throw an obvious loving psycho to the wolves/justice to keep doing your thing unmolested.

They were happy to blue line him when they surrounded his house with a hundred cops for "protection"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm not sure what you are actually arguing here, could you clarify?

Cops are continuing and to this day trying to protect him and justify his actions. That's why that cop speaking out is notable and he'll probably receive blowback and possibly turn up dead for doing it. It's happened to police before for breaking the line.

I'm not confident at all this will seriously change things.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Kalit posted:

Have you been paying attention to the trial? 2 sergeants (one of whom was Chauvin's direct supervisor) and a lieutenant have already testified against Chauvin, with the Police Chief (and possibly more) to come. It's a lot more than 1 cop, the whole department seems to be running away from him. They know it's a losing battle.

But I agree (as does Dapper_Swindler, I presume) that things won't seriously change with the overall picture of the blue wall of silence/etc. MPD just realizes that it's hopeless to keep up the facade in this particular case.

No, I haven't been watching the trial. That's fair. But that's pretty unusual, and I agree it's not yet a serious widespread change.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

The Lord of Hats posted:

I do think it’s kind of important that we keep in mind that Chauvin going to jail is an unequivocally good thing. I think there’s a tendency around here to look at small victories and say that all that really does is push the real victory further off because people stop caring. And maybe there’s some truth to that. But I think that it’s more important that every case, every issue be fought for the win.

Also on a selfish level I live in Minneapolis and I’d really rather not go through all that again.

You can definitely celebrate small victories but it's worth noting that people, especially white ones, have a tendency to forget about police reform and abolition every time a major example moves out of the public consciousness and many people have been murdered by the police since Chauvin with the cops getting away with it.

Real change needs to come to the police and "they didn't manage to get the most absurdly over the top inarguable example aquitted" isn't real change.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

BoldFace posted:

The problem with this reasoning is that there is, to my understanding, video evidence of Floyd saying "I can't breathe" before he was pinned against the ground.

If someone is already having breathing problems and you choke them for 9 minutes with that knowledge, I don't see how that's not you murdering them.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Volmarias posted:

If he does actually get convicted, given just how heavy the bus he was pushed under is I wouldn't be surprised by a relatively harsh sentence too, just so that the city can wipe their hands and proclaim that police brutality is solved once and for all by this example.

Actually they will probably give him a lenient sentence and still declare police brutality is solved once and for all.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Thoughtless posted:

I don't know why America doesn't. Unless the answer is racism.

The answer to "why does America not do thing that makes sense" is nearly always racism.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Gaupo Guacho posted:

maxine waters is a loving dumbass

I would not recommend you saying that if you ever visit LA.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lol this is actually kind of bullshit. The level of ignorance lost people have about prison dynamics is fairly high.

I mean no disrespect but generalities don't usually hold weight in prisons. Guards and white supremacists are basically hand in hand colluding. So the fact that derek chauvin killed a (insert favorite anti black slurr here) means he is a protected hero by the guard-supremacist alliance that exists in many prisons and the black/nation of islam gangs,, asian gangs, and hispanic gangs are not going to knife derek chauvin as they'd lose their drug pipeline which allows control of the majority of prison functions and prisoners.

Sorry for my all over the place explanation. There really is no good way to get my point across without delving deep into prison culture in a way that forum posting just wont relay. I haven't been in any prisons etc but being in the Army made me more receptive to the knowledge on the invisible side of this issue.

I'd really be interested in a prison culture post/thread because we incarcerate more than anyone in the US and because of that it's a really serious part of the US and US politics that most [white] people are blind to.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Baron Porkface posted:

Noted peaceful utopia and well-run city LA.

Tell me more about how horrible LA is, while we discuss the "violent" rhetoric of this "low IQ individual" Maxine Waters.

Love to watch SA threads basically turn into Trump tweets because right wing media started blasting bad faith arguments about what she says.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

TheBuilder posted:

I'd still like to know about the consequences of speaking badly about elected officials while visiting their districts.

Maxine Waters is very well liked in LA. You'd probably make a bunch of people pissed off.

I'd still like to know more about how stupid this black woman is.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Velocity Raptor posted:

You're being super defensive about Congresswoman Waters.

This isn't a case of two extremes. Good people can do dumb things and it doesn't change the good they've done. Similarly, people can disagree with and criticize what someone did and it doesn't mean they're now cancelled.

What Ms. Waters said wasn't dumb or even wrong. However, the timing of her statement was ill thought out. This was the day before a jury was about to be sequestered for deliberation and (however small it was) she gave the defense lawyer of a racist murderer a solid piece to use in an appeal to a potential guilty verdict.

I'm being super upset because a bunch of people are buying into rightwing rhetoric in an attempt to blame an "angry black woman" for the racism that's about to happen.

And using much of the same arguments that a right wing poster would make about her.

Basically:

CommieGIR posted:

There's been plenty before, during, and will be more after the trial to frame as "Grounds for Appeal", the entire point is muddying the waters by arguing that legitimate community outrage by community members and leaders is somehow an escape rope for Police who commit violent actions.

Don't play into it, dude.

Once again we have "I couldn't be manipulated by racist talking points, I'm not racist! I'm exceptional!" at play.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

If right wingers hadn't latched on to Waters' comments, they would have found something else to use as an excuse for why Chauvin should not be held accountable.

Since white people, even ones who think they're not racist, will readily accept negative consequences for black women, there's a reason they're hammering on this.

And it's actually Maxine's fault because

When people started going off I was like "holy poo poo Waters must have really said some serious poo poo, go her!" and then I read it and "oh..."

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

kolby posted:

I didn't think her comments came at a great time but haven't really formed an opinion beyond that. I guess I'm racist now, though.

When was a "good time" for her to express her feelings about oppression and death she lives with every single day?

quote:

I guess I'm racist now, though.

look at this poo poo

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Velocity Raptor posted:

If she said this after the jury began deliberation (when the jury is sequestered, so they can't see that she made this statement) no one would be having this discussion.

HAH

quote:

It unnecessarily gives ammo to the defense to appeal a potential guilty verdict. Yes, the defense was going to appeal anyway, but giving them more grievances to add to the appeal doesn't help and could actually undo justice.

She said basically nothing wrong. It's racism, OP.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Velocity Raptor posted:

I never said that what she said was wrong. In fact, I literally said the opposite.

Like, I get you're upset that cops disproportionately target BIPOC. I am too, that's why it's frustrating that this now is a factor in the appeals filing.

It's a factor because of racism, not because what she said was wrong or the timing of what she said.

I realize you don't think she was wrong. You're still buying into her having done anything wrong at all.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Quick is usually a conviction but all bets are off since this is a cop.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

IT BURNS posted:

OJ Simpson would like a word with you.

Hopefully that word is 'usually' and we can talk about how you don't understand what it means.

But I'm prepared to eat my words I have always thought a Chauvin acquittal was at least 50% likely.

Also apparently the data doesn't back me up.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Gaupo Guacho posted:

literally the instant the verdict is delivered lol. absolutely no one ITT is objecting to the content of what she said

Nah they're buying into the racist framing that she somehow did anything wrong.

Which is super loving dumb.

Gaupo Guacho posted:

maxine waters is a loving dumbass

o rly

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Gaupo Guacho posted:

I can call whomever I want to a dumbass without your insinuations that im a racist lmao. im not even white

I said, flat out, that you're buying racist framings.

Maybe deal with that instead of spending so much time explaining how you're very not racist and nobody can tell you what to say.

Waters isn't a dumbass and she said a completely OK thing at a completely OK time and literally every word that comes out of her mouth is made into a problem by a vast white supremacist media machine.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

How does someone win this argument with you in a way that isn't "you're so right Jaxyon, I guess I'll go inspect my biases now. Thanks for being right!"?

It's not about winning arguments and the fact that you see it this way is pretty telling.

But I can tell you that explaining how ridiculous it is that anyone could possible see anything you did as wrong or racist sure isn't going to do it.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think Maxine Waters made a remark that could inflame the situation and was dumb considering the circumstances, even if I agree with the message. And that doesn't make me or anyone else a racist or buying into right wing propaganda.

Opening her mouth at all inflames the situation because racists are ready to go off no matter what she says.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

If you're trying to help people actually figure out their biases you're not giving them that space and it just comes off as you wanting people to tell you that your right. If you want them to gently caress off than you're doing it right but you're too aggro if you're trying to make some sort of learning moment. Nothing wrong with telling people to gently caress off though if that's your goal.

I don't think people are willing to examine their biases in a forum discussion in D&D because it's constantly about dunking on your posting enemies and your ego.

It's hard enough to get people to examine their biases in spaces where they are supposedly doing anti-racism work, let alone in a "I must be right" thunderdome.

I get that people are going to argue with me about this. It still needs to be said.

I'm done talking about this because the verdict is about to be read.

vvvv yep

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 20, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Waiting until 3:59 so the cops can get ready is reaaaaaaaally not giving me a good feeling.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Lets not tell people to "calm down" about an incredibly tense and serious situation.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Please change thread title to "GUILTY ON ALL COUNTS" thx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptArWUD8xHM

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Sarcastro posted:

I think we both know they'll blame Maxine Waters.

100%.

Chuds area already rolling with this, saying she intimidated the jury into a verdict by saying a completely fine and reasonable statement.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Less Fat Luke posted:

Jesus Christ Nancy

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Jax Yon 6'11" IQ 275 F-150 KING RANCH EDITION 14" PENIS 10 KANTO GYM BADGES

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

LionArcher posted:

You don't think he'll either kill himself or the moment somebody in that prison can he won't be brutally murdered after probably weeks of torture by fellow inmates? Because that seems to me to be the most likely outcome.

he's going into protective custody forever and the guards are on his side

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

tasers exist for a reason

Tasers are torture bullshit and can still kill.

chinigz posted:

I agree but what does de-escalation look like in this scenario when someone is actually swinging a knife at a victim? if there is space and time to verbally de-escalate or back off etc then they ought to do that but here?

You take take the time and talk that person down and de-escalate, just like every other loving police department in the world does. Or you take them out non-lethally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mzPj_IaMzY

It's absolutely amazing to me that you can walk into this thread and admit to your absolute failure of imagination while the police murder a loving child.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Apparently it took an hour between the police call and the police arriving and the person who called is the dead child and and they were calling because people were getting frisky with knives, but anyone who knows knife fighting can tell you they take about an hour.

I recommend you try it with a sharpie. It's just facts.

Also we should trust the limited amount of info we have from the white supremacist organization that just murdered a black child and declare the the Fabled Good Kill rather than waiting and seeing more information as it comes out.

Trusting Chicago PD on Jussie Smollett really paid off.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Baronash posted:

"Do what she was going to do" is a cute way to say "commit murder."

Yes I usually call the cops on myself and hang around for an hour when I'm about to commit murder.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

ryde posted:

The situation obviously changed within that hour because the video I watched shows her trying to murder someone.

Yeah it's weird how it changed right as the racist murder force arrived, to specifically justify them murdering here, and the only info they've released so far is something that justifies their murder.

Probably we should trust the police on this one, they're deserving of the benefit of the doubt based on their long history of being totally justified in murdering children.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

This discussion is a great example of what happens when your strongly held beliefs are so strongly held that they overpower your ability to consume and analyze evidence that isn't compatible with those beliefs. Congrats, you've unlocked the secret to how chuds continue to justify everything cops and trump do because this is the leftist version of "who are you gonna believe, me or your lying eyes?" when there's video evidence of an attempted murder right there in front of you, and we reached that point when SchnorkIes argued that a black girl getting murdered by another black girl is somehow preferable to the attacker getting shot and the victim being saved.

That's not remotely what Schnorkles did and my point is specifically that I'm not willing to trust the cops, even when they'res video.

The current video looks bad. I'm not at all willing to let the cops have this within 1 day of her death.

Jussie Smollet looked super guilty right after the incident as well. Hell, there's goons who still believe he faked his own hate crime.

Deciding this now justifies horseshoe is pretty loving ridiculous given the long, long history of police killing people and then immediately presenting limited evidence that proves their innocence.

Harold Fjord posted:

Is this murder? Or was she attacked and was defending herself when cops shot her?

Self defense, only for Whitey

Who knows but it's case closed for some people in this thread and if you disagree you're basically a Trumper.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

TulliusCicero posted:

Honest question: whatever happened with Smollet? I remember things in that casr getting real murky and then it just kinda stopped.

They got murky because CPD were almost certainly the ones behind the attack.

The DA dropped all charges and expunged his record.

People to this day trust the police department that literally ran secret torture sites over a black man.

HonorableTB posted:

No one is saying to trust the cops, but trusting cops and trusting actual video evidence in front of your face are two entirely different things unless you think they deepfaked the bodycam video or something equally insane

This is not a situation where it's either "deepfakes" or "100% totally awesome good kill".

I'm saying:

- Don't ever, ever, EVER trust the cops even if there's video. They never ever get the benefit of the doubt.
- Wait until all the information is out. It's currently not.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Thom12255 posted:

You're right the history of the police is overwhelmingly negative - that doesn't mean every individual police officer is a racist wanting to murder all black people. Maybe he is! But we have nothing to go on so maybe don't let it bias how you view that video.

Racism in the police is institutional, not just individual.

quote:

that doesn't mean every individual police officer is a racist wanting to murder all black people.

This is a childlike conceptualization of racism.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Thom12255 posted:

Some of us watched a video where the actions taken don't seem that absurd given the situation that was occurring in a tiny moment of time. I'd like to hear from all the witnesses at the scene involved as well as the 9/11 call and an explanation of why it took an hour to send someone out to deal with a knife attack. But the video doesn't help the victim's case much.

You literally just asked us to prove that a cop specifically wants to kill all black people at all times before we can talk about racism.

You don't actually get to be taken seriously in a discussion of racial violence.

ryde posted:

We're not. We're not giving them the benefit of the doubt. We pretty much unanimously assumed that this was another Rice/Toledo/Floyd. We altered our opinion *after video evidence came out*. That's not giving cops the benefit of a doubt.

I've seen the video too. I'm still willing to hold off on saying the police did the right thing here because i"m not willing to give them the benefit the doubt.

Looking at the thing the police specifically released in order to exonerate their guy and accepting it less than 24hrs after a child is shot dead is giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Thom12255 posted:

I asked for some, ANY, information on the cop and his character or views before decrying them as automatically racist and looking to shoot somebody at the scene he pulled up to.

Yes, like I said, you should not be taken seriously in this discussion because you don't even understand the most basic elements of racism in policing in the US.

You repeating your very silly ideas isn't necessary, we got it.

In the spirit of being productive, I'd suggest you go read the police thread before commenting here further. I mean, you won't, but trust me you should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
^^^ Nope, you don't get replied to anymore. Go read the police thread, at a minimum.

raminasi posted:

I've never really found the idea of trying to identify "individual" racism that useful in conversations like these. What I think is pretty likely is that the cop had been trained, officially and unofficially, to understand that in an altercation involving a bunch of black people, he can kill pretty much indiscriminately without consequence, because that's how policing in the United States works. So when things get chaotic, he just starts shooting people. US cops only have incentives to move in one direction on the use of force continuum.

Now, in this particular case, the video paints a compelling picture that him shooting the person he shot at the time he did was more defensible of an action than the average cop shooting is. But the analysis to look for is broader than "he was a good cop who did the right thing" or "he was a bad cop who did the wrong thing."

"I need individual proof that this particular person specifically hated black people and want to kill them" is bog standard white supremacist BS.

It's an immature understanding of how racism works that comes from many whites never having to have an adult conversation about racism and how it presents itself.

In the context of police, even a cursory examination of the literature makes it clear that the problem isn't individual "bad cops" but an entire culture, institution, history and training system that makes it so all cops behave in a racist manner, even the ones who are from the targettted groups. But again this would require more than a grade school level of education on the subject and frankly most folks don't bother.