Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chinigz
Nov 12, 2016
Google and wiki didn't help me - how long is this trial expected to run? It sort of seems like they've covered most of the people who could testify so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chinigz
Nov 12, 2016
riddle me this, as a non american law knower. The standard of proof in a criminal trial is fairly high, if defense can raise the possibility that Floyd died of an overdose and point to the autopsy that shows fentanyl in the blood - doesn't that prevent them reaching 'beyond reasonable doubt' and Chauvin could get off some or all of the charges?

chinigz
Nov 12, 2016

cr0y posted:

How in the cinnamon toast gently caress do police see one of their own basically get the book thrown at them and then immediately think "Pulling a gun and shooting at this child will go my way"

Jesus Christ

poo poo can all of them, I'll take our chances with either mobs or a military occupation.

seems a little hasty, BW looks like she was in the process of stabbing someone. What are police supposed to do when they see someone about to get stabbed?
https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/crime/2021/04/20/one-person-killed-officer-involved-shooting-east-side/7309088002/

chinigz
Nov 12, 2016

Sanguinia posted:

De-escalate rather than immediately murder someone?

quote:

Bryant then appears to swing a knife at a girl who is on the hood of a car, and the officer fires his weapon what sounds like four times, striking Bryant, who died a short time later.

I agree but what does de-escalation look like in this scenario when someone is actually swinging a knife at a victim? if there is space and time to verbally de-escalate or back off etc then they ought to do that but here?

chinigz
Nov 12, 2016

Sanguinia posted:

You know what there's not space to do AFTER you shoot the gun? Undo murdering someone if you hosed something up in your fraction-second decision where you defaulted to "Murder That Scary Looking Minority" as the obvious right answer.

You want to get real here? How lethal is a knife, really? How sure are you that this guy would have killed this woman even if he had successfully stabbed her? Because unless you are 100% sure that's what would have happened if the cop did not open fire, you are condoning the taking of a life extrajudicially for a non-capital crime

We can agree to disagree here. If someone is about to imminently receive a fatal or life threatening injury that is clearly a case where cops are justified in shooting.

chinigz
Nov 12, 2016

forbidden dialectics posted:

I am actually aghast at this post. After everything we've seen from American police officers, and their utter disregard for human life, you still manage to find a way to justify them executing a child. Seriously, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

From the GBS thread

Weka posted:

That's all largely true but this really looks like somebody about to do a stabbing. It's a still from just before she's shot if that's not something anyone wants to see.

I'm not 'justifying executing a child' - I'm taking the fairly vanilla position that lethal force is justified if there is an imminent threat to someone's life. This is a pretty milquetoast take

chinigz
Nov 12, 2016

The Lone Badger posted:

In theory 'actively attempting to stab someone right at this exact moment' is pretty much the platonic ideal of a time when lethal force is justified.

In practice, I don't even remotely trust the cops not to be actively and currently lying about... everything. There is nothing they can say about the situation that would make me think they were right, because they have zero credibility.

From the bodyworn this is exactly what this looks like!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chinigz
Nov 12, 2016

Jaxyon posted:

You take take the time and talk that person down and de-escalate, just like every other loving police department in the world does. Or you take them out non-lethally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mzPj_IaMzY

It's absolutely amazing to me that you can walk into this thread and admit to your absolute failure of imagination while the police murder a loving child.

I posted earlier that I agree that should be the goal - but when there isn't time, as in this instance, as the person was literally raising a knife and advancing towards someone trapped against a car?