Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Personally I feel like the prosecution is being very amateurish and inept (edit: AT TIMES). They sometimes ask rambling questions without a clear point and accept answers from witnesses which don't seem to be answering what they are trying to ask.

The EMT witnesses were very standoffish and reluctant to say anything definitive and the prosecution was bad at getting any answers from them.

Floyd's girlfriend gave a lot of testimony about buying and doing drugs and George Floyd overdosing in the past, and this stuff was brought up by the prosecution. She also revealed that George Floyd called her "mama" and thus people are speculating that it was her that he was calling out to as he was pinned down. This doesn't really matter of course, but some are saying it makes the "mama" cries as he was being pinned less sympathetic than if he was calling for his mother. This shouldn't matter, but.

It all comes down to the jury, obviously. I was concerned before this started that Chauvin would be acquitted, but watching the trial makes me even more concerned. The fallout from an acquittal would be disastrous, both in terms of civil unrest and the continuing ability of police to murder people at will.

On the other hand, a solid conviction here would lead to likely convictions for the other cops involved and hopefully begin or continue a movement to change police behavior. I hope that the jurors understand what really happened here.

beejay fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The police supervisor saying that something like a knee on the neck should stop when a cop has control of the suspect should help. A big question everyone should have is why he kept his knee on the neck once he was cuffed and especially once he was nonresponsive. I do think this questioning is going well.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I wouldn't have guessed that the best witness of the day for the prosecution would be the police sergeant. Now the defense is flailing.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

He basically was asked at what point should Chauvin have gotten off of Floyd and the sergeant said once he was cuffed and at least when he stopped moving.

The defense also asked the sergeant some weird question about if you were in a gunfight and someone had a medical emergency, what would you do, and the sergeant said mitigate the threats before rendering aid. I think this was an attempt to say the witnesses were a "threat" and thus the police needed to deal with them before rendering aid, but it came off as ridiculous.

Edit: The prosecution called out the assertion about the gunfight, and the defense instead decided to make it sound like they were in the middle of a "busy street" with a dangerous mob all around. This doesn't work when we've seen the recordings.

beejay fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 1, 2021

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

-Blackadder- posted:

I went through some of the testimony, was it the Sargent who said this, I couldn't find it.

Nobody said that quote in testimony or anything it's just what happened.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Today is only a half day apparently because they are ahead of schedule.

Edit: This Richard Zimmerman seemed very familiar, looked around and he was in several episodes of The First 48.

Edit2: Oh gently caress he just said a knee on the neck would be considered deadly force.

beejay fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 2, 2021

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Good point, probably better to get ahead of the drug thing. I'm less concerned about the EMT witnesses now that they have these police witnesses. It all fits together now.

Edit: Wow the defense is going to say Zimmerman is out of touch with the streets because he's been in homicide for the last 27 years. I don't think that's a great tack. You just don't know what it's like out there nowadays, cops have to kill people! You've gone soft investigating homicides!

beejay fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 2, 2021

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Today starts out with the judge telling the prosecution that they can no longer present the "opinions" of witnesses in regards to whether excessive force was used. That will be interesting as today will be the testimony of the police chief.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I just tuned in early and before the jury came in this morning they were talking about it. The judge said they have already had several witnesses give their opinion on excessive force and going forward they should not do that. They also cannot discuss any training that Chauvin himself did not receive. I'm sure they will find a creative way to have the police chief say that excessive force was used without it being a solicited opinion.

Edit: Ok I rewatched it, it seems to be aimed more at trainers from the police department. They don't want to have several different trainers weighing in with their opinions on this. They can testify about the training they have specifically given which Chauvin has taken, but beyond that they should not be giving their opinions on whether Chauvin used excessive force on Floyd. I'm not sure if it will affect the chief's testimony.

beejay fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 5, 2021

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I don't think they've called defense witnesses yet. I think the last two witnesses today were forensic scientists. Who said that?

Of course, I wouldn't doubt that a bootlicker would say that. I've read online that people think that criminals have "learned" they can say "I can't breathe" to "get their way" during arrest. Which is clearly bullshit.

Edit: I found it, it was the defense attorney saying that when Floyd was initially saying he couldn't breathe, he was still actively resisting arrest at that time.

beejay fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 7, 2021

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

BoldFace posted:

The thing is, the way the court system works in America, if you are 95% sure that Floyd was killed by Chauvin's knee and think that there is maybe a 5% chance that he died from complications caused by drugs and poor health, then you are _supposed_ to vote not quilty. The jury is not deciding whether it is more likely that Floyd's death was caused by Chauvin. They're deciding if it's absolute certainty that Chauvin caused his death with intent or criminal disregard for human life, depending on the charges.

I'm not sure this is quite right, he could be found to have contributed to the death through negligence. I think it can also be determined that he committed a felony during the whole process which would then trigger felony murder.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The defense has 3 basic recurring arguments that they want to put into the jury's minds. 1 - Floyd was on drugs and thus was both incredibly dangerous (could regain consciousness and fight back with drug strength) and also on the verge of death (he had a heart attack/his oxygen dropped because of drugs), 2 - the bystanders and traffic posed a threat to the police so they couldn't get off of him, and 3 - the EMS took too long to get there so it's really their fault. They haven't pushed the EMS delay too much but it's come up a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I really burned myself out on this trial by watching livestreams. I would not want to be on the jury, listening to hours and hours of medical talk, necessary as it was. I do think the prosecution proved the case very well.