Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
How the eff do you get a jury for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Piell posted:

You round up the stupidest morons and the most cop loving people who pinky swear they won't let it effect them

Yeah good call but the more I think about it, the more I'm requesting an effort post on the specific process in this case.

Both teams usually get a fixed set of arbitrary objections along with bias objections, at least in WA, and I guess that favors the defender in a public case like this because you have to find nononline people. Just wondering how similar things are in this context.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Good news is that we'll lock up this person that everyone agrees is a bad egg and everything will be fine. It's only slightly comforting to see that there are actual limits to what an officer can do before they face real pubic pushback for what they expected to pull off as a whoopsie murder.

All I can think is that cops watching this are gonna keep whining about him "ruining things" for everyone else and keep claiming they can't be expected to execute thier roles adequately due to "red tape" and say things like "most cop interactions aren't violent." And more body cams are off for some unknown reason.

This is all well and good to have a public trial for a public murder, and this guy should fry, but it'll take longer to drown the witch behind it all. Re-envisioning police might be harder with a sense of delivered justice and wiping our hands of the issue. I guess the only alternative is the smouldering rubble of Minneapolis, though.

Justice for Floyd goes further than this trial, no matter what happens. I hope the people who condemn the murderer under oath get lionized and become semi-heroic. The argument has always been that you have to back your blue brother, but I'd much rather it become a tight knit system of accountability that makes cops feel like trust actually increases if you can cut out the bad blood and aren't going to be expected to personally back some atrocity.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 3, 2021

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

The Lord of Hats posted:

I do think it’s kind of important that we keep in mind that Chauvin going to jail is an unequivocally good thing. I think there’s a tendency around here to look at small victories and say that all that really does is push the real victory further off because people stop caring. And maybe there’s some truth to that. But I think that it’s more important that every case, every issue be fought for the win.

Also on a selfish level I live in Minneapolis and I’d really rather not go through all that again.

Yes, definitely a good point. I hope I wasn't doomposting too hard.

It's remarkable that there's finally a line at all.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

let's watch this and make funny jokes about it

Pass.

I'm also here for the goon niche of finding the nugget of comedy in the darkest situations, but all the good dark humour content is last week's business. Think the moment has passed and no one had a taste for it here. Maybe a Photoshop Phriday? We can put a chef hat and meatballs on Derek? Swap the mario stache with the cop one.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Not sure how to read this shooting after those pictures other than it shouldn't have happened somehow. But aside from tasers being torturous, they have short range and the leads often fail to pierce layers of fabric and stay in. They're considered unreliable. It looks like they'd have to taser the attacker in the neck while/before they were mid-swing.

Jaxyon posted:

You take take the time and talk that person down and de-escalate, just like every other loving police department in the world does. Or you take them out non-lethally.

Yeah this should unequivocally be the goal. Your video didn't include other bystanders/imminent stabbing victims, which should be the way cops try to steer the aggressor...make them mad at the cops to draw them out to isolate threats. Doesn't seem like police should be involved in the choice of who lives and dies in that situation to me at all.

I thought the police dispatch recording call had cops on the scene calling shots like they saw/heard a gun. Anyone else hear that? Need to relisten...now I'm thinking they may have called that inappropriately or illegally when there was just a knife.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 21, 2021