Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

They're trying to invoke the "he was no angel" defense - basically, show that the victim did something (anything) illegal, immoral, or in any way less than Eagle Scout behavior. Persons who are inclined to defend the police will then use this to show that the victim had it coming / deserved it / was not entitled to the same degree of protection under law as a "straight laced" citizen, etc.

This defense is usually used in right wing media, but there's no reason not to try it in court.

If the jury can be convinced that the victim was a petty criminal, on drugs, unruly, etc., they may be more inclined to let the attacker off.

That's my guess as to why they'd push this angle.

Exactly this; and the prosecution knows that this sort of testimony could be problematic for them if left unchallenged, so they pushed back by showing that the witness is getting out over his skis offering an opinion on that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

Relentless posted:

From what I can tell, this is his legal team covering their asses. There's no argument left when they get a ruling back from the court of "After checking all 13 complaints, he's still going to jail". If they didn't appeal, then in a couple of years he might be able to argue "Well, my defense at the time didn't REALLY defend me that well, so I want a retrial on those grounds." and start the whole shitshow up again.

Sorta. It's likely not so much rear end-covering in a direct sense as it is what's called "preservation of error." In short, if you didn't object to a matter when it first comes up (or if you fail to get a clear ruling from the judge and just kind of roll with it) you usually can't raise that matter on appeal. So, if you have arguments you want to make on appeal (or at least want to ensure that you will have that opportunity) you need raise the matter when the opportunity comes up under the applicable rules of procedure.

Lawyers will frequently make pro forma objections or file motions they know the trial judge will deny just to get the denial on the record and preserve their client's appeal rights. As long as what the objection or motion is non-frivolous, this is just an accepted part of being a competent trial lawyer.

EDIT: And sometimes judge's will "appeal-proof" their overall rulings by granting motions or sustaining objections from the losing side that don't really change the overall outcome of the case, just so they have fewer avenues for appeal.

Aegis fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 5, 2021

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

Relentless posted:

All I'm reading is "Lawyers and judges have an entire rulebook about rear end-covering.". :colbert:

Multiple rulebooks; and whole classes taught from them.