Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i do however think the other cops will get slaps on the wrists.

Same. However I think Tou Thao may get struck with something if Chavin gets fully hit.
There's a bit where the people around are pleading with Thao to just look at George and tell Chauvin to stop kneeling on his neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
They are throwing him under the bus as they have no way to get him off without looking at massive blowback.
You have clear upfront bystander video showing all of it. So can't have the bodycam footage accidentally get lost, or distort/warp part of it in your favor.
You have bystanders like a 9 year old that they can't smear or charge to intimidate them.
You have the bystanders clearly pleading for him to stop or he will die, then pleading with the other cops to stop Chauvin.
You have an EMT call the police on the police.
You know this is a big thing if they paid the family the biggest amount to date for these things.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 3, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
There is a medical doctor giving evidence right now, he is giving a lot of details on what happened internally to George and how.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

beejay posted:

The defense has 3 basic recurring arguments that they want to put into the jury's minds. 1 - Floyd was on drugs and thus was both incredibly dangerous (could regain consciousness and fight back with drug strength) and also on the verge of death (he had a heart attack/his oxygen dropped because of drugs), 2 - the bystanders and traffic posed a threat to the police so they couldn't get off of him, and 3 - the EMS took too long to get there so it's really their fault. They haven't pushed the EMS delay too much but it's come up a few times.

I've mentioned this before, your 1 is the most likely at the moment from how they are stancing it and the chud twitter is parroting how he was high on goofballs and fentayl.
2 is possible but the footage shows them pleading to let up on George, not harassing them. Thou, the cop not on George, was holding back the public, so will be hard to say that they would have gotten through.
And 3 is a nogo as iirc one of the EMS phoned the police to report Chauvin for not getting out of the way.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Kalit posted:

Along these lines, do you (or anyone) know if the amount of fentanyl that causes an OD has a correlation with body weight/size, assuming tolerance is the same? I keep wondering why this isn't brought up by expert witnesses, if there's no data on body sizes for those who OD'd or if the data doesn't show this. Granted, I guess they probably don't know the tolerance of most of those people....but I figured a study would have included this (I can't find any based on a quick Google search myself and am far from an expert)

They had some graphs at the trial, showing the amount of fentanyl in previous cases, its around this time period here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLUCIDdJgnM&t=4655s

In fact this whole video has it all, its a good watch to learn about it.

iirc George had like 10 times lower than the average case where it was cause of death.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 10, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/ReutersLegal/status/1382389539428134914

yeah, they are scraping through the bottom of the barrel today.

They have on right now Dr. Tobin again, calling the exhaust fumes absolute bullshit.
Hes saying his blood was normal, oxygen level was 98%.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Foxfire_ posted:

(Though I would expect Floyd's oxygen saturation to be low, since he was choked to death)

Not quite I think. I had a heart condition last summer where my blood oxygen was 98% all the time, but I was getting wild dizzy spells when I exerted myself or even stood up. From not enough of the blood getting to my brain.
Your blood can be working fine, just it had no where to go, or was being restricted by something.
They are trying to show his blood was fine, to show instead it was the knee restricting both breathing in and the blood getting to his brain in enough amounts to keep him alive.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Zwabu posted:

You can't say this with anywhere near the certainty or precision with which you have. Depending on where on the neck the knee is placed, how broad an area, and how much pressure is applied you absolutely can compress the trachea from the side.

This was the first or second day of the first week evidence.
Dr Tobin was up describing where the knee was, what was it compressing against, and what was the effect of it.
The worst of the knee was when it was up above his trachea, this was the part that was killing George, I think it was in this position for 3+ minutes. Could be wrong.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Vitamin P posted:

If Chauvin gets time but it's manslaughter not murder will things kick off?

Chauvin faces 3 charges, second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter.
Second-degree murder is upto 40 years in prison.
Third-degree is max 25 years.
Manslaughter is max 10 years.

My guess if less than 10 then there will be some.
If its less than 5, then things going to get hosed.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jaxyon posted:

I'd really be interested in a prison culture post/thread because we incarcerate more than anyone in the US and because of that it's a really serious part of the US and US politics that most [white] people are blind to.

I've been going down the rabbit hole on US Prison life the last few weeks on Youtube.
Check out a channel called 'Fresh Out', its a guy who interviews ex prisoners from all over.
There are loads though.

Also has an amazing interview of an ex-mafia guy with stories you would never think of.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Crazy Ted posted:

I was kind of wondering that myself? Also, if 2nd Degree Murder means he committed Murder while committing another felony, then technically what is the other felony?

Here are the exact laws:

UNINTENTIONAL MURDER IN THE SECOND DEGREE
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.19

MURDER IN THE THIRD DEGREE
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.195

MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.205

The second degree charge is because Floyd was in 'protection' at the time.
Still weird hows its more of a sentence than third degree murder imo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Was it with Floyd's death that the police themselves turned up and clapped for the cop the day after?
Or was it another death they did this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah Thao might be hosed. isnt their video of cops asking chauvin to let him up or some poo poo? like you can probably hit them on "you should have stopped this" type deal.

There is.
And Thao I think has a worse past history than Chauvin with complaints.