Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. the "smarter" play would be using chauvin as the "see we deal with the bad ones" poo poo. like even my dad, who leans sorta proish cop at times thought this dude was loving murderer and the other cops should be charged for the murder as well. these assholes keep picking the worst possible optics and positions on everything because they only care about their minority base.

Pat motherfucking Robertson said "they should put Chauvin under the jail!" so I honestly don't know why they haven't all figured out that tack.

Actually, I do know: it's because they want Black people to die, whereas Robertson just wants a weird Christian theocracy for its own sake. It's similar to when a bunch of right-wing loons got angry at Ammon Bundy for saying "actually, gently caress 12, Black lives matter." If you don't implicitly believe everyone is secretly a white supremacist, because you yourself are a white supremacist, then a lunatic anti-government freeman on the land saying "gently caress the police" doesn't come as a shock.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Re: the Maxine Waters controversy, watch this and then I dare you to tell me she is out of touch, or foolish, or doesn’t know what she ought to be doing.

https://twitter.com/repmaxinewaters/status/1384662209729544193

Compare this to the drivel Pelosi spewed today and tell me which one is the problem.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

White supremacist gangs are strong in prison. With support from them and from the guards (but I repeat myself) he might do OK.

The gangs: perhaps. The guards, I really don't think so, and this is why: he hosed up. He did this poo poo on camera, there's no plausible deniability, and it's called both the profession of law enforcement into question, making it harder for the "good apples" to do their job, and made it that much harder for white supremacists to operate within law enforcement.

It's organized crime, make no mistake. And the number one rule of organized crime is: as soon as you gently caress up and it affects business, you'll pay. Will the guard that looks the other way at the right moment have a flitter of "there but for the grace of God go I?" It's possible. But at this moment Chauvin is worthless to them, he is nothing but a liability, and I do very much doubt their sense of professional loyalty will overcome their pragmatism.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

cr0y posted:

How in the cinnamon toast gently caress do police see one of their own basically get the book thrown at them and then immediately think "Pulling a gun and shooting at this child will go my way"

Jesus Christ

poo poo can all of them, I'll take our chances with either mobs or a military occupation.

Literally the US military has higher standards for use of force. Let that sink in.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they also tend to convict soldiers when said soldiers decide shooting civilians and prisoners and etc is fun and cool. unlike cops. which is also sad.

That too, yes. Also the jury is composed entirely of people who knew what rules you were told to follow and are pissed off that you didn't.

It does present a problem in terms of holding people higher up the chain of command responsible, mind you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sarcastro posted:

And then the Chud God issues a presidential pardon.

True, but if you look up who was upset with that poo poo: military personnel were a big part of it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

and sexual assult. the military and its courts have plenty of its own horror and awful poo poo as everyone knows.

Oh god yes. It's an absolute shitshow, as I'm sure everyone here well knows, and they still manage to be more controlled about shooting people for no reason and/or holding those responsible to account. Which should serve to illustrate how bad police forces are, if the US military can be superior to them in any way.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It occurs to me that, regardless of the facts involved in this specific case, if officers only very rarely used deadly force, they'd probably be getting a lot more benefit of the doubt when they do. This situation is certainly less clear-cut than a lot of others, and it's the sort of thing that, if not for the ongoing stories of police violence against Black people, would probably be met with a reaction of "wow, how tragic a situation. We should fully investigate it and see if we can learn from it to prevent it in the future."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

This should be approached more like an air accident investigation than anything else. What we know is that a girl is dead. That's not good. Given this situation is bad, but there's no obvious singular mistake as there was in the Chauvin case, it's more reasonable to approach this in terms of "without assigning blame to anyone necessarily, how do we make sure this stops happening?"

The fact that it really, really looked like the victim was about to stab someone probably means that there was no actual criminal action on the part of the cop. But that doesn't mean it was a good outcome to the situation, and we need to investigate the entire sequence of events, because obviously a situation that ends up with someone dead is no good. Even if the cop was 100% justified in taking that shot, at the moment he took it, there was a 16-year-old girl killed as a result, and we need to take a good look at how we can best prevent that from happening in the future.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Too much focus is being placed on whether the cop was, in that exact moment, justified in taking the shot.

I want to hear more about the whole situation. Who called the cops and why, how long did it take them to arrive, what information did they have about the situation? Even if you want to argue the shoot was justified in that exact moment, I don't think it necessarily absolves the police of responsibility if they hosed up on the way to that exact moment.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Morningwoodpecker posted:

True. Body worn video for cops should be compulsory and should be treated as their timecard as in it's recording or you don't get paid. Hit them in their pockets until it becomes a normal thing for them and it'll deter the Chauvin's of the world from even applying.

Not enough if cops are still able to turn them off. The murderers would not mind taking a slight pay cut if it meant getting away with murder.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

generic one posted:

Yeah, the article does get into that case, toward the end. Something that should also be mentioned is that some media outlets in South Africa seem to addressing the environment he was brought up and educated in. Like this piece. By all accounts, he’s suspect as hell.

I don't mean to be prejudiced, but every white South African over a certain age is suspect as hell. I'd put it at roughly 35-40 right now, I'm sure there are exceptions, but growing up in an explicitly racist society does a number on you and the only people who can escape that are the people who have put effort into it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

:eyepop:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AndrewMannix/status/1387569118879039490

This is in addition to both the pattern and practice (consent decree precursor) investigation and the trial for the other 3.

You know, for all the poo poo about Biden being a milquetoast liberal and/or crypto-conservative, watching the federal government do this under his lead is pretty fun. Yeah, it ain't fixing all the problems, and I'm not going to say he's perfect, but goddamn it's a refreshing change.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

mdemone posted:

I don't know Merrick Garland, but I hope he's the sort of man who holds a grudge and serves his revenge cold.

Everything I've seen from him is that he's exceptionally motivated to gently caress with racists. Almost breaking down in tears talking about how his grandparents fled pogroms in Russia and America gave them a chance, and we've got to give that opportunity to everyone.

He will gently caress them and he will enjoy doing it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

"Your honor, my clients should not receive a prison sentence for killing a man because going to prison would make him sad, and is unpleasant."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HopperUK posted:

loving works sometimes, doesn't it. like that kid who got off for raping a woman because being punished would adversely affect his whole life.

That was also a miscarriage of justice, but that argument works a lot better with a 21-year-old rather than a middle-aged cop who was entrusted to use deadly force in service of maintaining law and order, and then killed a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Not really because society is even more OK with cops killing minorities than it is with men raping women, which it is also very very OK with

Let me be clear: excessive leniency isn't warranted in either case. But, that being said, if you had two people who committed equally heinous crimes, and one was a 21-year-old halfwit and the other was a 44-year-old police officer, I'd have significantly more sympathy for the 21-year-old halfwit. If you're looking at someone around the age of 20 who has committed a serious crime, you should probably be thinking "okay, what can we do to fix this person so they can become a productive member of society?" Brock Turner was shown leniency that most other people convicted of similar crimes at that age are not, and probably too much leniency at that, but the reasoning isn't inherently unsound if applied equally and reasonably. Years in the single digits, as a sentence, would've been quite reasonable, and any more than that... probably too much to be just. With a middle-aged cop, I don't think you can make that same argument. He murdered a person, as a cop, and with much more life and job experience, and I don't give a single flying gently caress if he dies of old age in prison.