Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Megabound posted:

Keeping voting open until Saturday so get those votes in!

I thought I should just comment on how we lost stickiness. Bumping this back to the first page is merely a side effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Megabound posted:

Don't bother voting anymore, nooner has clearly won by a łandslide probably because he is so cool and smart and talented, I wish I was that great!

Awww, shucks, I'm just another guy making his way in this crazy world one post at a time, just like everyone else here :blush:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Computer viking posted:

I thought I should just comment on how we lost stickiness. Bumping this back to the first page is merely a side effect.

I've stuck it.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

We have a winner, Congrats Prolonged Priapism taking it home with 4 votes. Crusty Nutsack and Zomboni Rodeo share second place with 3 votes each.

Transnationally the winner would pick the next theme, will the GBS photo contest continue? That's up to Prolonged. If you've had fun the monthly Dorkroom contest is running with the theme Power.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

:toot:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Megabound posted:

We have a winner, Congrats Prolonged Priapism taking it home with 4 votes. Crusty Nutsack and Zomboni Rodeo share second place with 3 votes each.

Transnationally the winner would pick the next theme, will the GBS photo contest continue? That's up to Prolonged. If you've had fun the monthly Dorkroom contest is running with the theme Power.

Nice!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I demand a recount :mad:

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

I say we continue the GBS photo contest; as a Dorkroom lurker the overall skill there can be a little intimidating, especially in the challenge threads. Let's keep it casual and see how it goes.

The theme: w i d e

"Aspect ratio" is the proportional relationship between an image's width and height. You'll be familiar with 16:9 (aka 1.78:1), that's standard widescreen for TVs and computer monitors. Old CRTs were usually 4:3. 35mm film and most digital camera sensors (including phone cameras) are 3:2.

But I want to see GBS get wide. Wider than 3:2. Wider than 16:9. I'm thinking 1.85:1 at the very least - that's typical for a prestige show on Netflix. Most movies are 2.35:1 or 2.39:1, if you want a classic Hollywood frame. 70mm IMAX is 2.76:1. Get technical and look up exact specs if you want, but anything between 2:1 and 3:1 will work. No constraint on subject or style. Just make it W I D E.

Unless you have a special camera or lens, this means you'll have to crop your image a good bit vertically. Try it!

Some examples I took:

2.35:1

2.35:1

2.39:1

2.39:1

How it works:
Take (or edit) a photo, put it here, we'll vote starting 6/21.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I have no idea if that is wide or not, I just cropped it on my phone real quick, but anyways my vote for the new contest is nooner

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hell yeah, I got a nice wide phone pic I love.

Master of his domain

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Megabound posted:

Hell yeah, I got a nice wide phone pic I love.

Master of his domain

:kimchi:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

My wife's family just took us on a vacation to Puerto Rico where I spent a lot of time messing around with pano shots. Here's one of Old San Juan harbor taken from atop Castillo San Felipe del Morro:

Hazo fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 19, 2021

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

I call this one “lone Buffaloaf”

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

w i d e b i r d s

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 21, 2021

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Wide Deck by B. B., on Flickr

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
it would be funnier if you called it "wide dick" HTH

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Super super late on this but hey, our dogs look similar!

Pretty bad quality on this one but I thought it was a cool sunset

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Yard pic from last weekend:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i took this awhile ago on one of my bike rides. =]

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I like that Chinatown. Nice scene.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
It looks like i am the only person who got a vote for this month so i guess i win?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Rather than a new gbs contest can i just have "OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF THE DORK ROOM GBS CHAPTER" added to my custom title? TIA

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
m...mods? :ohdear:

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

“Sleeping puppy”

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Nooner posted:

It looks like i am the only person who got a vote for this month so i guess i win?

Prolonged Priapism posted:

I say we continue the GBS photo contest; as a Dorkroom lurker the overall skill there can be a little intimidating, especially in the challenge threads. Let's keep it casual and see how it goes.

How it works:
Take (or edit) a photo, put it here, we'll vote starting 6/21.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Das Boo posted:

Yard pic from last weekend:

I am originally from Western Nebraska, and this picture makes me homesick. What state are you in?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
This is what happens when you try to take a picture of the entirety of an Antwerp cathedral as a vertical panorama.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
turn it 90 degrees and we'll talk

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Toupee Groupie posted:

I am originally from Western Nebraska, and this picture makes me homesick. What state are you in?

Eastern Montana. I was supremely blessed to ride out the pandemic here rather than my LA apartment. :)

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

bumping

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
too little too late bub, I already won I posted the best wide picture and won the vote!!!

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

:wrong: ya'll got until Sunday night to w i d e p o s t

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

:siren: last call for submissions, anything posted after midnight PST will go in the dumpster!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
We’re in Daylight time, not Standard, so that should read Midnight PDT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
remeber how we all already voted and that nooner guy totally won?